Have you wound down your covid-19 fridge/freezer/pantry oversupply, or are you still hoarding?

Randomguy

I'm still working down the freezers that Woscrapr stockpiled. It's been 14 months. Starting to see the rear of the freezers. The pantry is another issue. I'm not much of a cook so it's difficult for me to use it up. I have a full bag to donate to the local food bank. But I have to check expirations on everything. I pulled something out that had a 2008 Best Buy date. I didn't even know Best Buy was around in 2008. I only knew about Circuit City

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

We haven’t really hoarded but we’re able to get TP from my daughter who was overloaded by her MIL who hoarded like a mutha. If not for her we would have been cutting it close a few months ago.

We aren’t really seeing food shortages right now.  We can get what we need & want.

Although the 100 lbs of bacon I purchased back in March has doubled in value I'm still holding on to it because it will more than double again by November.

The container in the back yard is still doing a brisk business with the neighbors who can't buy paper towels and windex at the store.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We're still maintaining a larger stock of paper products than we normally would.  Canned and dry goods have been worked down and are back to being stocked at pre-COVID levels.  We never stocked up on freezer and fridge items.  The exception is mustard.  For some reason Mrs. Grumpy wanted a spare yellow mustard to store in the pantry even though we have a relatively new one in the refrigerator last weekend.  Her reason was, "just in case".  So when you start hearing about mustard shortages, it's us. 

• Haha 3

I stopped at Aldi yesterday because I go right past them on the way back from getting my scatcan. Only the second time I’ve been there this year because I shop the closest store to my house so I am not gone long from my wife.

The first time I went they had an employee in mask and gloves and face shield wiping down carts outside the store and no quarters needed. Yesterday it was back to normal, put your dirty quarter in the cart to release it. A dispenser was out by the carts for sanitizing wipes but it was empty.

The store seemed back to normal except the arrows on the floor for which direction to go were still there but nobody was following them. Their toilet paper shelf had a sign “limit two” and they didn’t have much on the shelf. That’s weird because my LGS and my LDS are completely stocked with all the usual brands.

My wife’s tastes vary with her condition. For a time she wanted blueberry pancakes for breakfast every day. I used up all the pancake mix so was making them from scratch. I stocked up on pancake mix and she quit wanting pancakes.

For quite awhile she would request hot sausage sandwiches with peppers and onion several times a week. I would run out of hot sausage because I don’t go to the store often. I stocked up on hot sausage and sausage rolls and froze them. She hasn’t asked for hot sausage for over a month now.

My freezer and pantry are full of stuff that I bought for her because it was stuff she would eat. Now she doesn’t eat much. For the past month she eats one dippy egg and a half piece of toast for breakfast. Lunch and dinner are hard. Nothing sounds good. She ate ok yesterday, small portions. I never know how the day is going to go.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

I'm still stocking more than usual, but I'm less worried about availability.

Because Costco sells paper products in such large packages, I probably have enough TP, Kleenex, and Paper Towels to last until I'm back in my home around April.

Some things are hard to find and I grab extras when I see them like Caffeine Free Diet Coke, small cans of Bush's Baked Beans, and Knorr Chicken Fried Rice or Spanish Rice packages (like Rice-A-Roni but easier to cook).

I'm also making sure I have plenty of meat in the freezer.

Otherwise, I'm letting the boxes of pasta, cans of stewed tomatoes, mushrooms, green beans, etc. get back to normal.

14 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Hoarding in high gear. The dental assistant told my wife it will be worse in November. Wo7 bought a small chest freezer for additional hoarding. 

I may go this direction again (not getting a freezer, though).  Was at Costco for a very limited shopping list, and saw regular TP back in stock. I didn't buy, but probably should have and donated the Charmin stuff we currently have.

Our freezer is fairly well stocked, but I could reorganize and find some extra space if needed.  What is shocking to me is that it has been four months since my last Trader Joes shopping trip.  I'm down to about 1 1/2 Costco and 2 Harris Teeter trips per month right now, with my wife at 1 TJs and 2 HT/other grocery trips per month as well.  We used to be many/multiple trips per week for groceries.

• Heart 1

There is a pickup truck parked across the street. The subdivision over there does not have on street parking. So the "extra" cars park over here. This pickup has a chest freezer in the back. It's strapped down with  just one tie down. It looks brand new with a sticker on it. I can't figure out if there is a dead body in there? Or it's a "bait" freezer with all the long wait times for new freezers. 

6 hours ago, Miss Ida Hart said:

What are you making with the blueberries?

I'm going to make a fruit compote...plop into my plain yogurt for flavouring.  I make a batch for 4-5 days.  Includes raspberries, chopped apple or 2, flavoured with ginger root, crushed aniseed and cinnamon. No sugar needed. I suppose one could use it over crepes/pancakes/waffles, chiffon cake, etc.