Diversity training fail

Randomguy

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Diversity training was boring, I already knew how to put up with people's freakish belief systems.  Now I am certified, though, and also in sexual harassing.

That was always the joke. “Been through harassment training, so now I know how to do it.” 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Could have been a common Indian name, Shithead. 

We have a Harshit at my company. 

But the test is in American English.  A better name choice was mandated!

I had Sophomore twin Korean Immigrant student girls in an Honors Chemistry class I taught both with a first name pronounced, "Me."  I asked them, "What do they call each of you at home?" "Me!"

Do you have anything different about your names or nicknames?"  "Yes in spelling and Korean inflections, but no in pronunciation."

Their last name began with "She."  So I asked them if it was alright if I called them "Me" and "She" to distinguish them.  They were fine with that.

They went through high school having teachers call them that and it was even added to their names as they crossed the stage at graduation!

• Heart 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/29/2020 at 9:16 PM, Randomguy said:

So I am doing an online diversity training thing because the whole company has to.  In going through the gay dude section, this came up:

image.png.a03922da6825fb89214876077613c2b4.png

Wouldn't you have picked another name?

He doesn’t look like a supervisor, he looks more like a fudge packer.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, Randomguy said:

So I am doing an online diversity training thing because the whole company has to.  In going through the gay dude section, this came up:

image.png.a03922da6825fb89214876077613c2b4.png

Wouldn't you have picked another name?

Crap!  That is my neighbors name!  

48 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I wish I could joke about this LJ. But I cannot.

I'm not sure I looked like manager to @MoseySusan and @petitepedal  since they I know I am a friend.

But I was a manager for several employers. I had several direct reports to me.

I hear where you’re coming from, and I also can see the difference between the social expectations of this “shitpost” topic thread and the reality of treating coworkers with dignity in the workplace and workplace related communication on social media. 

On 7/30/2020 at 11:02 AM, MickinMD said:

But the test is in American English.  A better name choice was mandated!

I had Sophomore twin Korean Immigrant student girls in an Honors Chemistry class I taught both with a first name pronounced, "Me."  I asked them, "What do they call each of you at home?" "Me!"

Do you have anything different about your names or nicknames?"  "Yes in spelling and Korean inflections, but no in pronunciation."

Their last name began with "She."  So I asked them if it was alright if I called them "Me" and "She" to distinguish them.  They were fine with that.

They went through high school having teachers call them that and it was even added to their names as they crossed the stage at graduation!

I would’ve called one A. Me and the other C. Me