How to move away from scum?

Dirtyhip

Is it impossible?

We were at our new property.  An unmarked police pulled up to the people across the street.  They arrested someone from the house across the street from us.  They cuffed someone and took them away.  It seemed to be sheriff deputy parole officers.  

Luckily I likely won't even be able to see their house from ours.  The lots are large and there is a pasture between their home and ours.  

The other side of us is another huge empty lot and then nothing.  There is a house above us.  No isea their story.  The place looks nice,  We will see if parole board comes and knocks on their doors.  

Cripes.

That's why we like to have acreage.  We have 40 acres at camp, and that doesn't feel like enough.  :D 

At home, the house on our west side is about 8 feet from our house, and the house on the east side has turned into a rental. Ya, I've called the cops on renters....

• Confused 1

I read a police report in the paper one time about a guy getting arrested in a bar fight. His last name was Cabbage and he gave his address as the property that adjoins mine. I can’t see their house because it was in the woods. A man and his wife and son lived there. Not sure what this Cabbage fellow was doing there.

• Heart 1

I seems like you can find them everywhere.  When I bought my first house, the previous inhabitants - grandchildren of the now-in-a-nursing-home owner - had had lots of trouble with the law - mostly drug dealing, noisy and violent parties, etc.

After I moved in, a few times I notice a police car parked inconspicuously but with a line-of-sight to my front door.

Finally, I walked up to the car and told the police officer I had bought the house and had no contact with the slime that had lived there - but their poor care of the house meant I got a fixer upper for 2/3 the going price.  He said he thought something had changed: the grass was cut, the weeds were gone, flowers were planted. etc.

I was "in with the neighbors" right away!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

How to move away from scum?Is it impossible?

On the plus side, when you look around you and don't see the scum, it just might be you!  So, since you're still easily identifying the awfulness of some around you, you can rest easy that you're not the problem :D

39 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Sounds like the police are thinning the herd for you.

Hope so, but they keep just tagging and releasing most of the non-violent ones.

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I bet on a nice day, when the wind is "just" right,  you can smell the meth cooking from across the street.

I don't see the humor in this.

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I seems like you can find them everywhere.  When I bought my first house, the previous inhabitants - grandchildren of the now-in-a-nursing-home owner - had had lots of trouble with the law - mostly drug dealing, noisy and violent parties, etc.

After I moved in, a few times I notice a police car parked inconspicuously but with a line-of-sight to my front door.

Finally, I walked up to the car and told the police officer I had bought the house and had no contact with the slime that had lived there - but their poor care of the house meant I got a fixer upper for 2/3 the going price.  He said he thought something had changed: the grass was cut, the weeds were gone, flowers were planted. etc.

I was "in with the neighbors" right away!

Across the street where we live now, the neighbor has a freaking ton of 5 minute friends.  I hope he is sellind pot and not meth.  It's likely meth though, or maybe pills/heroin.  That seems to be the popular thing in my area.  Heroin, and illegal pharma drugs like oxy.  :(

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

On the plus side, when you look around you and don't see the scum, it just might be you!  So, since you're still easily identifying the awfulness of some around you, you can rest easy that you're not the problem :D

But, if I were the awful ones, I would likely not fret so much.  Ignorance is bliss, right?  

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I can't say that.

I'm never sure about the "arrested" part, but certainly have seen the police respond before.

We had a younger couple move in nearby a few years ago.  He has US marine bumper stickers on his Jeep and looks like he could have been in the military, but he is very standoffish.  Anyway, walking the dog one day, I noticed a shattered front window, and knocked and checked to make sure all was kosher.  Got a "locked out" or some such reply from the woman, but she seemed fine.  Anyway, about six months later, same window shattered.  This time, though, cop cars and cops were there. Long story short, she was moving out under police protection.  Other things began to add up that had been just strange but unexplained.  Shitty part is HE was the owner, not her, so we got to keep him in the neighborhood :(

1 minute ago, Jon KITguy said:

Hoo boy, long time no visit.  Business take first. Hard times. Everybody wear mask, can only tell who bad after fact.  Stazi not bother so much but customers not bother so much same as.

Lady.  Not worry about scum so much.  They your scum and keep safe from not your scum.  All have scum around.  Better you have yours than others pay bribes and take over.

Sorry about Garmin.  Friend tries quick rich and goes too far.  Garmin not pay and Stazi being mad again.  Heads down keep.

Welcome back.

I read your post three times.  I still am not sure what you are talking about.  :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Is it impossible?

Yes.  My expert real estate advice is to sell the place before you start moving dirt.  Now is the best time to cut your losses.  Planting some bulbs is OK but if you start putting holes in the ground the price of your acreage immediately plummets.  And don't ask why they got arrested.  If you know, you might have to disclose it to the new buyers.  Obviously the previous owner of your acreage knew this.

And full disclosure, I'm not a real estate expert, but you probably knew that.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yes.  My expert real estate advice is to sell the place before you start moving dirt.  Now is the best time to cut your losses.  Planting some bulbs is OK but if you start putting holes in the ground the price of your acreage immediately plummets.  And don't ask why they got arrested.  If you know, you might have to disclose it to the new buyers.  Obviously the previous owner of your acreage knew this.

And full disclosure, I'm not a real estate expert, but you probably knew that.

Worst advice ever. 

I bet I have more felons around me where I live now.  The place they picked this person up, I think is their parents home.  The people who live there own a ton of property.  They own part of the hillside going back towards downtown. I am not selling our new property.  The plan moves forward.  It is way worse at my current home.  

Dead end street and very few neighbors where we are moving.  Apparently one of them violated parole or something. 

49 minutes ago, Jon KITguy said:

Hoo boy, long time no visit.  Business take first. Hard times. Everybody wear mask, can only tell who bad after fact.  Stazi not bother so much but customers not bother so much same as.

Lady.  Not worry about scum so much.  They your scum and keep safe from not your scum.  All have scum around.  Better you have yours than others pay bribes and take over.

Sorry about Garmin.  Friend tries quick rich and goes too far.  Garmin not pay and Stazi being mad again.  Heads down keep.

Welcome back! Is Stazi your GF?

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Let's see.  We just closed on the property and you are telling us to sell it and stay living across the street from a drug den?   

Terrible advice.

Ummmmm.......... no................ maybe........

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Hope so, but they keep just tagging and releasing most of the non-violent ones.

I don't see the humor in this.

Across the street where we live now, the neighbor has a freaking ton of 5 minute friends.  I hope he is sellind pot and not meth.  It's likely meth though, or maybe pills/heroin.  That seems to be the popular thing in my area.  Heroin, and illegal pharma drugs like oxy.  :(

Sorry.  My theory on life is you can either laugh or cry.  I choose laugh.  My sense of humor is dark at times.  I truly hope that the arrest was nothing and the your new place, new neighbors, etc. are all wonderful.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

I bet on a nice day, when the wind is "just" right,  you can smell the meth cooking from across the street.

I got my house cheap after they arrested the dealer who was living here.  There was a big burn mark on the kitchen floor from a meth accident.

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sorry.  My theory on life is you can either laugh or cry.  I choose laugh.  My sense of humor is dark at times.  I truly hope that the arrest was nothing and the your new place, new neighbors, etc. are all wonderful.

You're harmless J.  It's why we all (almost) love you.

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Let's see.  We just closed on the property and you are telling us to sell it and stay living across the street from a drug den?   

Terrible advice.

Might be useful to talk to some other neighbours to get a sense of history.

Just consider a security system installed at your place.

I actually don't think living isolated with alot of acreage, is necessarily good as one gets older and unable to move fast/protect oneself.  There's a time and place in one's life where certain locations /lifestyles suit better than other times in life. There has been enough rural crime (and some people are afraid to report it...as per in our local news)...  Right now, because people work from home, there might be less break-ins.

I have lived in neighbourhoods where there was drug dealing. The most important thing is having other good neighbours close by.  And we did.