My birdies

Longjohn

That is really nice how many birds you have there! Do you only put a little juice in the feeders, or have they drained it that hard? You use sugar water, right? Do you put food coloring in it? Do you have the bee guards in the feeder holes?

So many questions!

6 minutes ago, smudge said:

That is really nice how many birds you have there! Do you only put a little juice in the feeders, or have they drained it that hard? You use sugar water, right? Do you put food coloring in it? Do you have the bee guards in the feeder holes?

So many questions!

I fill the feeders up. That one in the video isn’t very big so I have to fill it and another small one every day. Most of them I fill every other day. I pulled the bee guards and some of the flowers off while the Baltimore Orioles were here so they could get their big fat pecker in the holes. They all left in mass about two weeks ago.

I don’t use coloring. I put the bee guards back on when the Orioles left.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Nice evergreens!  My darn Douglas firs lost all their lower branches. :(

Those are white pine. When we bought the house it was built in a cornfield with no trees or shrubbery except a few blue spruce that the builder planted as shrubbery too close to the house. I had to cut those down eventually because they were too close to the house. I bought 100 white pine seedlings and divided the perimeter by 100. My boys helped me plant them the whole way around the property line about ten feet back. They got big.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We have three hummingbird feeders. One guy thinks that he owns one of them and chases others off. We also get bees at times. However you haven't had a good WTF until you see a woodpecker drinking out of one for the first time. I see it about once a week so they are probably doing it much more.

And that doesn't even count raccoons who knock them down to drink out of them. I had to relocate two of them so that the raccoons can't get to them. 

4 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

On guy things that he owns one of them and chases others off.

We usually get one fascist who thinks he owns the feeders - this year, for the first time, it was a female.

I had to laugh this spring when there was a female on the feeder and another one flew up and started doing her threat display. The female on the feeder just looked at her like “yeah, whatever....” and went back to eating. I said “you need to work on your intimidation skills...”

I have also seen the males chase a female off the feeder and then start doing the courtship display. I’m like “...uh dude, I don’t think that’s how that works....” but then, I’m not a hummingbird, so WTF do I know?

• Haha 1