Old habits die hard

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

Back when I was at FTS, they gave you ten minutes to clean up at the end of the day. They expected you to do a good job- which would take more than ten minutes. 

They would watch to make sure no one cleaned up early. (Admittedly in part because people would knock off early and then just stand around and BS). The idea was to make you do at least part of your cleanup on your own time.

I remedied this by cleaning up about an hour early -when no one was watching- then going back to work, making minimal mess and with minimal stuff to put away. I was able to leave a clean area and still be out the door at 2:20:002.

I’ve noticed I still do this, despite no one caring how long it takes to clean up - or even if I clean up - and when I leave.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

It's a good habit to do the dishes for cooking dinner as you go - if possible - so only the actual dinner dishes and few others are waiting after your meal.  It works really well if you are just stirring some things occasionally or something has to go in the oven for a while.  You can get a lot of stuff cleaned or put away in those minutes you might otherwise be just twiddling your thumbs during.

5 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Back when I was at FTS, they gave you ten minutes to clean up at the end of the day. They expected you to do a good job- which would take more than ten minutes. 

They would watch to make sure no one cleaned up early. (Admittedly in part because people would knock off early and then just stand around and BS). The idea was to make you do at least part of your cleanup on your own time.

I remedied this by cleaning up about an hour early -when no one was watching- then going back to work, making minimal mess and with minimal stuff to put away. I was able to leave a clean area and still be out the door at 2:20:002.

I’ve noticed I still do this, despite no one caring how long it takes to clean up - or even if I clean up - and when I leave.

Tidiness is a valuable trait. 

10 hours ago, Airehead said:

Tidiness is a valuable trait.

I also do it to preserve my own sanity. 

Periodically during the day, I clean up a bit and put unneeded stuff away. Helps me be able to find things. I'd rather have to take something out of a drawer again than have to look around and wonder where I left it.

I also will clean up and put everything away after completing a specific task, before starting the next. It's a kind of a reboot.

• Heart 1