Has there ever been a scientific study that didn’t call for more research in its conclusions?

Ralphie

Nope.  The nature of science is always looking for a greater understanding of everything.

It's not a bad thing.  At one point in history, it was considered a sign of a bad doctor if the doctor washed his hands before delivering babies. We laugh because we know more now, but these were truths to the people at the time. Science didn't change...  our understandings of science changed.

• Awesome 1

WOW! Just WOW!! A lot of good research has been conducted without grant dollars, but the big grant studies are the ones you hear about. A scientist would be amiss, if they did not point out future needs. Hopefully, it saves others from reinventing the wheel, and prevents some incorrect extrapolation of the current data. A scientist really has no control over the data, once the study has been published. Current views of 'science' are kind of sucky.

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

A scientist would be amiss, if they did not point out future needs.

Not to mention increasing levels of precision as both methods and instrumentation improve. 

Certainly, much of science is "proven" to a level required to make decisions and to safely & effectively put that "proven" knowledge to use, but why stop at "good enough" when the next layer of the onion may make a whole new series of things doable, understandable, and/or open for exploration?  I think of our continued inward (microscope tech) and outward (telescope tech) that all start at a lesser degree (2x or 10x or whatever), but then, with refinement, open up new worlds and new areas of exploration filled with questions (and sometimes answers).

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yeah, but I know where my paycheck comes from.

(An NSF grant. :nyanya:)

I've worked with and without grants, and was much happier when working without grants. Luckily, I was never in a position where my salary was paid for from grant dollars. I've often wondered if the time spent in preparing reports, etc. could not have been better spent in writing a manuscript. I was fortunate to not have to rely on grants for the last 18 years of my career.