Today's Historical Tidbit 7/31

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

Just now, Randomguy said:

Hmm, where do I send my dollar?

Hey, E Dwight Thomas could have used the NYS Lottery slogan "All You Need Is a Dollar and a Dream" about a hundred years before they did. 

Since ED Thomas is long gone, I will step up and fill his role - free of charge. Saucy Bessie VanHorn sounds like just your type:

image.thumb.png.b69eb72ae4946f51d821cb995f565f96.png

I can not even tell you how much I enjoy this feature each morning.  I was getting a little worried that youw ere going to skip today.

Remember-- just because you are being swindled doesn't mean you need to be rude.  Might be a rule for life.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I can not even tell you how much I enjoy this feature each morning.  I was getting a little worried that youw ere going to skip today.

Remember-- just because you are being swindled doesn't mean you need to be rude.  Might be a rule for life.

Right up there with "even though you're paranoid, that doesn't mean they aren't out to get you". :D

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

And now we know where the Nigerians learned their trade.

Well, this does date to the same era when PT Barnum made his quote about suckers. (I had a buddy who used to say “PT Barnum underestimated the birth rate....” 🤣)

This scam went on for a couple of years. By the time the post office shut it down, E Dwight Thomas apparently had enough business to involve three more guys. A couple of days ago, I found another article where he took his show on the road and tried to set up shop somewhere else.

There is another full page article where a reporter from the paper went to visit Mr. Thomas in person. It’s pretty funny and there are accompanying graphics that are a scream - Cupid with a fishing rod and a line which extends down the page to several lovely young ladies standing on the hook.... Sadly, it’s a full page PDF and I can’t figure out a way to post it that would be legible.