AAAAAUUUGHHHH! MY EYES!!!

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

23 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So guys only wear bright/flashy, colourful shoes when it's for some sports/exercise activity....

Or pseudo exercise, ie. posing...to do some exercising/ie. walking.  Which is ok.  Probably some guy somewhere wore red shoes at his wedding.

I think some guys are really into shoes - for exercise but also for just "showing off" during other activities.  Maybe not quite as bold as women's shoes, but some are pretty bold.  Heck, even look back to Elvis and his blue suede shoes.  Not over-the-top, but certainly different from regular Oxfords or other men's shoes of the time.

1 minute ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I have three pairs of cycling shoes (four if you count my old ones), two pair of hiking boots, two pair of running shoes and a pair of sandals. 

A real fashion-conscious metrosexual, I am.

Honestly, LJ is the only guy here in the Cafe who can pull off sandals without looking absurd.  Just like jsharr is probably the only one who can pull off cowboy boots.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Most comfortable cycling shoes I own

I had a pair of Lakes with laces and I hated, hated, hated them, Two velcro straps and a ratchet buckle for me. (My Specialized MTB shoes have the stupid boa thing, but at least there's three independent straps)

Black cycling shoes are never really in fashion, but they're never really out, either.

Just now, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Black cycling shoes are never really in fashion, but they're never really out, either.

I have shiny black Spec Boa shoes, and not shiny black Spec Boa shoes.  Maybe I need a "sort of shiny but not too shiny" third option?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Are they orange or red?

:D

The best comment about their color was when I was riding the Fullerton Loop. I passed a fireman on a walk (fire house is nearby) then like a mile later I roll up on a guy who ate shit hard and was down.  I had his buddy call 911 and stayed with the guy. 

So fireman I had passed shows up with the crew, sees me rendering aid and says damn when I got the call and heard the location I was wondering if pink shoe guy crashed! 😡

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I like the laces.  Low tech, always seem to work, nothing but win.

There’s the question of what to do with the loose ends and the inability to run differing tension across the shoe. I like the three Velcro straps and rat-shit buckle because I can run the heel cup tight, the midsole loose and the toe box sorta loose. Can’t do that with laces.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I agree, but also wonder who is having issues with velcro straps or Boa closures?

I have an old pair of Specialized Comp MTB shoes. I used and abused them for a long time. Finally, on a really muddy ride, one of the velcro straps separated the top part from the Velcro part. I figured it was a sign that it was time for new shoes and bought a pair. I figured I’d throw some gorilla glue on the strap of the old one and bring them to work, to leave here for lunchtime rides.

Two yeas later, the glue is still holding and the shoes work fine.:blink:

3 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

There’s the question of what to do with the loose ends and the inability to run differing tension across the shoe. I like the three Velcro straps and rat-shit buckle because I can run the heel cup tight, the midsole loose and the toe box sorta loose. Can’t do that with laces.

To each their own but the Giro E90 shoes were always rated really high on comfort. The last and fit of the shoe would probably feel good with straps, BOA or laces.  I had to fiddle with tension the first few rides but have it dialed now.  There is a little elastic strap about mid way down the shoe over the laces that holds the loops of the laces down so no floppy laces getting into the drive train.

Giro shoes fit me really well but my E90’s are way more comfortable than my Giro Privateers. I dunno what is is but them pink shoes are da bomb!

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Giro shoes fit me really well but my E90’s are way more comfortable than my Giro Privateers.

Agreed. I run these on the road:

GITRHVPART.jpg

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

There is a little elastic strap about mid way down the shoe over the laces that holds the loops of the laces down

Yeah, my Lakes had something like that, but it was just one more damned thing to fiddle with.

I gave those shoes away with a bike I sold.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I think some guys are really into shoes - for exercise but also for just "showing off" during other activities.  Maybe not quite as bold as women's shoes, but some are pretty bold.  Heck, even look back to Elvis and his blue suede shoes.  Not over-the-top, but certainly different from regular Oxfords or other men's shoes of the time.

How about Carl Perkins?

2 hours ago, Miss Ida Hart said:

I think those shoes are awesome. 

Probably looks good when legs are tanned and sinewy too.

2 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I had a pair of Lakes with laces and I hated, hated, hated them, Two velcro straps and a ratchet buckle for me. (My Specialized MTB shoes have the stupid boa thing, but at least there's three independent straps)

I have a black pair of mountain biking shoes...I haven't worn them yet.  I think I'lll wear them with long tights/pants when it's cooler/cold.  Total black would look ugly against my legs (though not pure white) when I'm in shorts. Too stark and probably emphasize any bruises/cuts /mosquito bites on legs against paler skin.

I wear short walking shorts when I bike in summer. Not knee-length:  too hot for me.