What Do You Do?

Razors Edge

...with your cycling shoes after a ride? 

After a ride - especially in warmer months - my cycling shoes are soaked by the end of a ride.  Generally, simply pulling out the soles and pulling the tongue open to get some airflow is enough too work to get them to dry out and be relatively stink free by the next ride (a day or two).

However, in the summer, I am usually riding more but also sweating more.  Even a day or two using the regular process results in still damp shoes and sometimes rust on the cleats.  I then go to plan B which is the front steps which get a LOT of sun, and that can help with the drying and the disinfecting BUT the threat of afternoon thunderstorms or if I take a late evening ride mean this is not always feasible.

I do have some "shoe sticks" that are supposed to speed the drying and destinking processes, but really don't do much that I can tell.  I have, in the past used newspaper to try to absorb some moisture, but that is pretty tedious.

While I do sweat way more than average folks (I think), others have to have similar issues even with normal sweat rates. What do other folks do?

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I thought you 'rich' folks had 2 to 3 pairs of shoes that you could rotate among rides, thus allowing adequate time for drying. I am a 'sweater' so I feel your pain.

Tried that!  Never could get pair #2 to "exactly" match pair #1 - mostly cleat placement - so it was screwing with my riding and I just stick to the main pair. Maybe it is time to revisit that?

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Almost all my summer rides are in bike sandals. I have four pair of mountain bike shoes that I can rotate if I want. Only one pair is extra wide and comfortable. The other ones are only wide and a little tight. The sandals are awesome.

A few weeks ago was the "big" 25th anniversary and re-release of Shimano's SPD sandals:

image.thumb.png.bc2d185dc246252480237cceccaa583c.png

image.png.9aa338f4f8ad8a547ee4635e19a0529b.png

8 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

I live in the middle of a desert. Things flash dry here.

I wonder if that is a big contributor here to my challenge drying these damn things?!?!  Our humidity is generally high, so maybe the air is just to saturated already to pull much out of the shoes.  I might need to use a sunny front window instead of the outside and in the elements option.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Hey, if you want to wear them -- no problemo.  But they aren't helping you get a mechanical advantage.  Or do you wear them on MTBers?

They are my grippy bottomed MTB shoes.  I don't think I could perform as well in soft sneakers.  Maybe some flat bottomed hiking boots.  

510s have that sticky rubber that seems to be unmatched for flt pedals.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

They are my grippy bottomed MTB shoes.  I don't think I could perform as well in soft sneakers.  Maybe some flat bottomed hiking boots.  

510s have that sticky rubber that seems to be unmatched for flt pedals.

If you are doing more off roading, then I could see it.  Because chances are you are going to be stopping, starting, making contact with the ground/trail.  But for pavement riding, it's totally not necessary.

Just now, Dottles said:

If you are doing more off roading, then I could see it.  Because chances are you are going to be stopping, starting, making contact with the ground/trail.  But for pavement riding, it's totally not necessary.

I don't make contact with the ground too much.  The shoes help grip the pedals.  Sideways cornering, jumps, and bumps....I need these good shoes.