Earwigs

SuzieQ

do they really burrow into your ears? :o

There is a superstition that earwigs burrow into the ears of people while they sleep. This is a myth and without any scientific basis. Earwigs frighten many people because of the pincers on the back of their abdomens. Earwigs use these pincers for defense and for sparing with rival earwigs.There are more than twenty species of earwigs in the United States. Depending on the species, adults range in size from 5-25 mm. They are slender insects with two pair of wings.  Some species produce a foul smelling liquid that they use for defense. Earwigs also produce a pheromone (scent).  Scientists believe that this pheromone is the reason that earwigs cluster together in large numbers.  Immature earwigs (nymphs) resemble the adults except they do not have wings.

Yes they do.  I say it in a movie once.  It was a long time ago and it was a B&W flick but I'm sure it was real.

Be afraid…….. very afraid.

SW could never write something even mildly funny like this.  I wonder if earwigs ate the funny sector of his medula oblongata?

Earwigs grow up to be zombies.  It is not a good sign to see them around your home.

I didn't really want to take it that far because SQ has a delicate constitution but now that you mention it, yes, yes they do.  And she has a trip to India to plan.  I wonder if the earwigs at her place will leave her alone long enough.

On the bright side, you can easily kill an earwig with a few drops of Dawn liquid dish detergent.  No fooling, it really works.  It's a whole lot easier than trying to take them out when they are full grown.  Dawn doesn't even phase them then.

But how do you get rid of the eggs that they lay in you ear.  That's the 411 that SQ needs.

On the bright side, you can easily kill an earwig with a few drops of Dawn liquid dish detergent.  No fooling, it really works.  It's a whole lot easier than trying to take them out when they are full grown.  Dawn doesn't even phase them then.

But I practice Ahimsa so I can't kill them