The NFL: Do they have a shot?

Dottleshead

Anybody else think this season is going to run into problems?  First, without a preseason, I wonder what the games are going to look like.  The first 4 games ought to look like crap.  Then it's only a matter of time before the covid hell infiltrates a team or teams.  Folks gonna opt out.  Folks gonna die. 

If Major League Baseball is  struggling with it -- you know damn well the NFL is going to.  Now we have a chance to see some dude blow out a knee and die of covid.  What's not to like?

Does the NFL have a shot? Yeah of course it does. Will they complete a season? Probably.  Just don’t expect it to look like every other year.  Hopefully the NFL players learn from the Marlins debacle but with so many players per team and not operating in a bubble an outbreak is likely.  We’ll see how that goes...

I actually like the no preseason, like college football. Teams that had coaching or QB changes might be behind the power curve but I really don’t think they needed that many preseason games.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

This has nothing to do with sports.  It's all about money.  

I heard an interesting take on this yesterday.  

People focus on how sports are an entertainment entity and is it worth it from an entertainment aspect.  But they don’t consider the thousands of jobs lost due to the sports shut down.  Obviously stadium workers are still not working but the sports industry as a whole generates many jobs in broadcasting, officiating, grounds keeping & the like.  The NFL season will put many everyday people back to work.  But  it may also kill some of them too...  

I’m torn on the matter. I miss it and am happy baseball & basketball are back but I don’t think the US is ready to resume baseball & football. I think basketball did a good job of resuming the season.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m torn on the matter. I miss it and am happy baseball & basketball are back but I don’t think the US is ready to resume baseball & football. I think basketball did a good job of resuming the season.

Honestly, I don't understand how baseball could eff it up.  Out of all the sports, the only thing you have to do is keep the number of folks limited in the dug out and keep all those not playing that day at home or hidden in the stadium alone somewhere.  Hell, stick them out in their cars.  There's not a position on the field of play that has close contact other than perhaps the catcher, batter, and ump.  Put the umps in haszmat suits and let's play ball!  And just eliminate stealing and there's no reason for a first baseman to be near a runner. Hell there's no reason for any fielder to be near a runner other than a throw to a bag or plate.

18 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope.

All sports will fizzle out by the end of the year.  There will be well over a million dead by then.  Is a sporting event worth it?

I'm fairly sure the Romans were keen to keep the gladiator shows going.  Its a sign of a healthy economy.

COVID is a respiratory disease.  Football has too many activities where people potentially could breath on each other.   Huddles, line of scrimmage, tackles (especially at the goal line).  I guess huddles could be eliminated by giving everyone helmets with headphones and the coordinators broadcast the plays in but how do you avoid player infecting each other at the line of scrimmage? 

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Just don’t expect it to look like every other year.

There is just going to be a lot of roster shuffling as people get it.  

This will be an interesting experiment with top-end athletes.  Will the receivers,defensive backs, and running backs lose a bit of explosiveness or the ability to be full-go for entire games once the virus clears?  Will there be reinfections?  Will there be deaths amongst the bigger linemen?  Will families get it from the players?  How long from positive to negative and back to top-end athletic ability?

This will be a good petri dish/litmus test for the most fit or the strongest athletes who mix it up inches from each other for three hours on Sundays and during practice and meetings during the week.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This will be an interesting experiment with top-end athletes.  Will the receivers,defensive backs, and running backs lose a bit of explosiveness or the ability to be full-go for entire games once the virus clears?  Will there be reinfections?  Will there be deaths amongst the bigger linemen?  Will families get it from the players?  How long from positive to negative and back to top-end athletic ability?

This will be a good petri dish/litmus test for the most fit or the strongest athletes who mix it up inches from each other for three hours on Sundays and during practice and meetings during the week.

Agreed.  And dumb dumbs with pea brains that question the science are going to see first hand how top notch athletes do.  If their sports stars get it, then maybe, just maybe, they'll reconsider whether they can get it too.  Remember this is a liberal ploy.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Covid doesn’t seem to hit 20 something elite athletes as hard as the general public. (So far). Numerous football, basketball and baseball players have gotten it and then resumed normal activity after a period of time.  Shoot one Angels  pitcher continued his throwing regimen while infected with Covid so he wouldn’t be too far behind.  

But then you hear stories like the Rams Andrew Whitworth who had it unknowingly and infected/hospitalized his parents. 

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom Brady ain't 20! :frantics:

Yeah there are always exceptions not to mention guys like Lebron are getting up there too.  Also the coaches tend to be old farts... But a vast majority of professional athletes are 20 something.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Let's a) hope it's only a few and b) the blood thirst of Americans won't demand it continue.

I'll watch a Bruins game over the weekend.  No fans.  I am not expecting much.  To me that's a huge part of watching.

I like hearing 60k fans cheering at a Pats game.  I suspect it will be horribly boring watching a bunch of grown men on a field with no one there.

Just now, Square Wheels said:

I'll watch a Bruins game over the weekend.  No fans.  I am not expecting much.  To me that's a huge part of watching.

I like hearing 60k fans cheering at a Pats game.  I suspect it will be horribly boring watching a bunch of grown men on a field with no one there.

I watched the Lakers Clippers game last night and it was odd not hearing fans cheer a close game. Baseball tends to be quiet anyway (at least angels fans are quiet) so no real difference in baseball.

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I watched the Lakers Clippers game last night and it was odd not hearing fans cheer a close game. Baseball tends to be quiet anyway (at least angels fans are quiet) so no real difference in baseball.

I don't disagree.  I think watching a Seahawks game on the telly w/o any fans is going to be quite odd.  For sure I'll turn it on and watch but I could lose interest after a game or two.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh has said the NFL guidelines on safety are impossible to follow.

With so much more contact than other sports, I don't think the games will be very good and some will be cancelled.

Head coaches have already talked about putting a decent out-of-the-league QB on the practice squad in case all the QB's on the team are quarantined at the same time.  What happens when you lose an entire O-line?

The odds-maker say the Raven's have the 2nd-best chance of going to the Super Bowl, behind the Chiefs, and with the spectacularly successful draft, it's breaking the hearts of people in the area to think they won't have a regular year.

They've got Lamar Jackson for 2021 and supposedly will have the salary cap space to keep most players and pay Jackson the $40M per year he'll probably get.

But the Ravens look SO good this year!

I think they'll try, but I'll be surprised if they make it to the end of the season.

It's interesting to see what some of the teams/stadiums are doing to raise money.  One minor league baseball team is having "dinner on the diamond" nights where  local restaurants cater a meal outdoors and they're also allowing people to rent the field for a specified period of time so your family can play catch on the field.

7 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

NHL will be using sound effects from EA Sports on the TV broadcasts. I’ll hold out an opinion until I hear it tomorrow. I didn’t mind the sound of the exhibition games on Tuesday though, without any sound enhancement.

48 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

If you want a new experience watching hockey, now is the time to try it. With no fans in the way, more and better camera angles will make it a better TV sport.

The Kings & Ducks have their loyal fans but hockey (IMHO) never really took off in SoCal. I’ll root for the Ducks and casually follow them but I can count the hockey games I have watched in its entirety on TV with one finger.  Shit maybe no fingers... I have gone to a match and it was fun. I’d do it again.  

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh has said the NFL guidelines on safety are impossible to follow.

Yeah, we're not having that problem out here.  Our organization seems to be on it.  I'm not saying this is all going to all work out but I have not heard any complaints coming out of Seahawk headquarters. Seattle has only missed the playoffs once in the last 10 years or so and run one of the top organizations in the NFL.  Love 'em or hate 'em, Schnieder and Carroll operate a cutty sark. 

16 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Football or hockey? Hockey is definitely better in-person, football better on TV.

Racing is both.  You absolutely should be there in person to feel the event but you will always be looking at the wrong thing at the wrong time.  NASCAR as solved part of this problem by renting out hand held devices that allow you to watch the race both in person and on TV while also being privy to the the radio communications between drivers and crew chiefs and or spotters.  You also get tabulated data such as lap times and time behind the leader.