Hey Square Wheels? How long have you...

Dottleshead

Just now, Dottles said:

Well the $64 thousand dollar question. Do you feel any better?

I feel no different at all.  All my life I felt uncomfortable eating animals, so that part is gone.

Lots of successful vegan athletes, so it's a lie to say there are performance issues.  I've run up Mt Washing just as slow as a vegan as I did a carnivore.  I've done a century as a vegan and didn't pass out.

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

B12. You can get everything else from other foods. Right?

Calcium from things like kale, broccoli, sesame seeds, etc.  You have to eat a lot to get your RDA.  

Iodine is only in things like seaweed, fish and dairy.  

D we get from the sun, but we slather all that sunscreen on and spend a significant amount of time indoors. So, taking some is not a bad idea. 

B12 is basically dirt and rocks.  

Zinc is in nuts beans and whole grains.  

Personally, I would consult with a nutritionist about these questions.  They are trained professionals.

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I feel no different at all.  All my life I felt uncomfortable eating animals, so that part is gone.

Lots of successful vegan athletes, so it's a lie to say there are performance issues.  I've run up Mt Washing just as slow as a vegan as I did a carnivore.  I've done a century as a vegan and didn't pass out.

My question was directed more toward your overall health and being -- no so much performance.  I get that you sit morally better with what you eat -- but do you find that being Vegan makes your body/mind feel better?  Worse?  No diff?

Just now, Dottles said:

My question was directed more toward your overall health and being -- no so much performance.  I get that you sit morally better with what you eat -- but do you find that being Vegan makes your body/mind feel better?  Worse?  No diff?

I'd go with no different.  I have itchy skin at times and that drives me nuts.  My bladder pain did not go away or reduce, that was disappointing.  My cognitive health and memory are poor due to lack of sleep.  

It definitely didn't make things worse.

Being vegan is a pretty big step if you're considering it.  There are many options no longer available or convenient.  Imagine a cookout without a burger.  I bring my own food to family events.  Your places to eat out are limited - this can be a good thing.

When I started I went to Greece.  It was impossible there.  Almost no choices at all.  I ate a lot of chicken while I was there.  It really made me feel sick.

It's not for everyone.  I find it easy at this point.

12 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'd go with no different.  I have itchy skin at times and that drives me nuts.  My bladder pain did not go away or reduce, that was disappointing.  My cognitive health and memory are poor due to lack of sleep.  

It definitely didn't make things worse.

Being vegan is a pretty big step if you're considering it.  There are many options no longer available or convenient.  Imagine a cookout without a burger.  I bring my own food to family events.  Your places to eat out are limited - this can be a good thing.

When I started I went to Greece.  It was impossible there.  Almost no choices at all.  I ate a lot of chicken while I was there.  It really made me feel sick.

It's not for everyone.  I find it easy at this point.

I did go vegan for about 6 months.  But a big staple of mine was vegan pho and then I had my heart stents.  My cardiologist asked me to cut back on the salt.  You can't go out and eat a good bowl of vegan pho w/o getting a couple days recommended salt intake in one sitting.  I did notice my nails were becoming soft as well.  So I really ramped up on the broccoli and other greens.  Basically dark green is your dietary friend. In the end, I have decided to stick with mostly a mediterranean diet but do allow a buffalo or turkey burger from time to time.  I guess you could say i've gone more Flexitarian but I also am more concerned about saturated fat intake than I am with anything else.  Heart healthy amigo.  But there's no doubt that going vegan has even greater heart benefits.

16 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'd suggest baby steps, not leaps into the unknown.

What is veganism? It is MOSTLY an ethical eating system, not a dietary solution.  You would likely be far better served by an elimination diet (akin to @Wilbur where he removed a lot of stuff and then carefully brought it back in) or a general reduction in eating processed meats and foods while increasing fruits and veggies in your diet. Why get rid of honey if honey isn't an issue for you (other than an ethical issue).  Same with milk, eggs, or cheese?  Again, cheese can make you fat, but not all cheese and not in moderation.

Why not more a Mediterranean diet?

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd suggest baby steps, not leaps into the unknown.

What is veganism? It is MOSTLY an ethical eating system, not a dietary solution.  You would likely be far better served by an elimination diet (akin to @Wilbur where he removed a lot of stuff and then carefully brought it back in) or a general reduction in eating processed meats and foods while increasing fruits and veggies in your diet. Why get rid of honey if honey isn't an issue for you (other than an ethical issue).  Same with milk, eggs, or cheese?  Again, cheese can make you fat, but not all cheese and not in moderation.

Why not more a Mediterranean diet?

Why does everyone think I want to go on a vegan diet?  I just simply wanted to know if SW feels better.  Base on his response, it seems clear NO and I personally don't think it's worth the headache.  What I am interested in though -- is maybe someday going back to  it -- because I do think any form of animal ingestion leads to cardiovascular disease.  But even with that I question whether it's worth it.  If your intake of sat fat from animal products is limited, then you can still enjoy a lean buffalo or turkey burger from time to time.  And I find that sadly cheese is put on almost everything outside the home.

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Sounds to me like he is quite happy he is not eating meat anymore and that makes him feel a lot better. 

I heard him struggle when he goes out -- and therefore his social life takes a big hit.  Wait.  We are talking about Square Wheels here.  He never had a social life.  OK.  My apologies.  Carry on,.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I heard him struggle when he goes out -- and therefore his social life takes a big hit.  Wait.  We are talking about Square Wheels here.  He never had a social life.  OK.  My apologies.  Carry on,.

Yeah, eating oot is a pain. That is why I just prefer veggies but am flexible aboot it. 
Of course I have trouble loosing or even maintaining weight because my favourite veggies are barley, hops, and cheese. :D
(ok, not veggies, but non- meat  :D)

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Sounds to me like he is quite happy he is not eating meat anymore and that makes him feel a lot better. 

If it doesn't bother you and doesn't give you worse health problems, doesn't seem to be much harm.  I like meat a few times a week, but always end up having it more often than that.  Not sure that meat is really a culprit in heart disease, but suspect it is the crap meat that does it.  Don't know, but if I eat a lot of lunch meat, it tends to make me feel sluggish after a few days of it.  If I eat a bunch of high-quality meat, it doesn't.

Since Covid hit I kinda let my eating go.  More carbs and processed foods.  My glucose values were going up, weight was creeping up but not terribly.

Anyway I got back to basics for me which is lean protein, veggies and very little gluten based carbs like bread, noodles.  A big part of it was also just eating less.  My portions and frequency was getting out of hand.

Anyway after a good week I noticed I don’t feel as bloated and just generally feel better.  Being a little hungry takes some getting used to but actually is better than the I ate too much gross feeling.

• Awesome 1

19 minutes ago, Dottles said:

That's the point.  I go out with friends (or used to), but would prefer they come over for dinner.  We've made a few vegan meals that have surprised people.  

I'd prefer not to spend $100 on food that was OK just so I can spend time with friends.  My wife doesn't agree.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

That's the point.  I go out with friends (or used to), but would prefer they come over for dinner.  We've made a few vegan meals that have surprised people.  

I'd prefer not to spend $100 on food that was OK just so I can spend time with friends.  My wife doesn't agree.

I'm not much of a cook and my wife loves to cook.  But unless she stops working, she doesn't have time to prepare the meals.  Because -- and get serious -- most vegan meals require self preparation and take longer (typically) than most traditional meals. Yeah, I can eat a bowl of grains with a fusion of oat/almond/cashew/other nut milk in a jiffy but making vegan pho from scratch is going to require some free time.

40 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah, I can eat a bowl of grains with a fusion of oat/almond/cashew/other nut milk in a jiffy but making vegan pho from scratch is going to require some free time.

How is the broth made with vegan pho as It’s usually a beef bone broth?  I suppose a vegetable stock could be used.  One if my cousins is a vegetarian but doesn’t sweat the broth when we get pho.  It’s just noodles, veg & tofu.  I ordered it once, it’s OK but I like my meat. 

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

How is the broth made with vegan pho as It’s usually a beef bone broth?  I suppose a vegetable stock could be used.  One if my cousins is a vegetarian but doesn’t sweat the broth when we get pho.  It’s just noodles, veg & tofu.  I ordered it once, it’s OK but I like my meat. 

Beef broth is quite tasty.  It's my preference but I try to stick to the vegan broth.  I don't know how they do it but it's tasty too.  I'm guessing a helluva lot of sodium?

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think you are one of the few on this site that appreciate a good bowl of pho.  It got me thinking if this is a west coast thing?  @jsharr has a large Vietnamese community so I'll bet he knows some good restaurants serving Vietnamese food in the greater Dallas area.

Just now, Dottles said:

I think you are one of the few on this site that appreciate a good bowl of pho.  It got me thinking if this is a west coast thing?  @jsharr has a large Vietnamese community so I'll bet he knows some good restaurants serving Vietnamese food.

Probably more of a thing where there are large Vietnamese communities.  SoCal was one of the first places the refugees came in the mid 70’s and they branched out.  We have Vietnamese groceries, businesses that cater to the community and of course numerous restaurants.  

Just now, ChrisL said:

Probably more of a thing where there are large Vietnamese communities.  SoCal was one of the first places the refugees came in the mid 70’s and they branched out.  We have Vietnamese groceries, businesses that cater to the community and of course numerous restaurants.  

Yeah. We got a decent size but not like youz guys. I know Texas has a good size as well.

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm wondering if they have a Tex-Mex pho down there.  Could be a big seller.

My parents used to eat tempeh which is a firmer tofu with beans in it.  Back then I didn’t care for it and honestly haven’t had it as an adult but it could work in pho.