How many hats do you wear at work?

jsharr

I spend a lot of my in-office time as a sounding board and a psychiatrist.  Folks seem to just need to talk/vent/complain, and I'm a fairly impartial person & also don't repeat stuff. 

But, seriously, folks have some crazy things going on in their lives - usually of their own creation.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I spend a lot of my in-office time as a sounding board and a psychiatrist.  Folks seem to just need to talk/vent/complain, and I'm a fairly impartial person & also don't repeat stuff. 

But, seriously, folks have some crazy things going on in their lives - usually of their own creation.

Lucy Psychological Help 5 Cents

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

A lot but it’s all good. I get sucked into a lot of ancillary duties.  My boss and my counterpart on the Facilities/Real Estate side are also non responsive so many people on our team who report up to them  hit me up to vent or seek advice.  

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Not even something I thought about when working. I did what was needed to get the job done for myself, the station, and co-workers.  We were all in it together, and a success was a success for all.

Agreed, which is why I wear so many hats.   Not a big "that is not my job description" kind of guy.  Stocking the fridge in the breakroom pays the same as working on our quarterly audit for me.  I am usually the first one in, but seldom the last to leave.

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Allen said:

I wore my pith helmet while mowing the grass today because it’s like a million degrees out. 
It’s a real one. I soak it in water and wear it wet to keep my head cool.

My neighbor yesterday looked like Lawrence of Arabia while mowing his lawn. :D

• Heart 1

At one time when I was in the US Air Force, I had my primary job as an aircraft maintenance instructor plus 14 additional duties. I was running a 5 person detachment, yet we had to do nearly everything that a 500 person squadron would do. It was stupid so I just pencil whipped most of them or there really wasn't all that much to do for a particular additional duty such as key control. Yep had to know were each key for any door and locker was located.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

So far today I have worn my office manager hat, my accounting hat, my shareholder services hat, my customer service hat, my A/R and A/P hats and my editor's hat.  

You rock.  Tell me something, if this all pans out and you get the financial reward you deserve at the end of the day -- was it worth it?

The job I had with the most hats was in my 2nd career, teaching at Maryland's Largest High School, Old Mill High in Anne Arundel County where positions I held for 5 to 20 years included:

Lead Teacher, Gifted and Talented Physical Sciences.

Member, Faculty Council

Union Representative

Head Coach, Cross Country Team

Head Coach, Varsity Softball Team

Sponsor, U. of MD High School Chemistry Competition "Chemathon Team."

Sponsor of the Chess Club and Coach of the Competition Chess Team.

U.S. Chess Federation Tournament Director for Anne Arundel County Scholastic Chess.