Dam August 2020

BuffJim

Internet speculation that the biggest dam in the world, the 3 Gorges Dam is in danger of collapse. The amounts of rain upstream are staggering. Apparently large amounts still to come. If it fails , it could be one of the biggest disasters in history. 

This PSA sponsored by Death Jim copyright © 2020

• Heart 1
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. It’s do or die time for the dam. Next week is critical. They’re letting out as much water as possible, but areas upstream have received staggering amounts of rain in the last two weeks. (30-50”). Videos are unreal, I watch them on Twitter #ThreeGorgesDam. 

Last night I watched a video about the Johnstown flood in the late 1800s. I didn’t quite realize the extent of the flood and the number of deaths. They showed the Franklin Street Methodist church, the only church that remained standing downtown. I’ve been in that church and seen the line painted on the wall showing the water level. It was like twenty feet up the wall. My father in law used to pastor that church. It seems that dams are a good idea until they are not.

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Last night I watched a video about the Johnstown flood in the late 1800s. I didn’t quite realize the extent of the flood and the number of deaths. They showed the Franklin Street Methodist church, the only church that remained standing downtown. I’ve been in that church and seen the line painted on the wall showing the water level. It was like twenty feet up the wall. My father in law used to pastor that church. It seems that dams are a good idea until they are not.

I’ve been to the Visitor’s Center twice. Fascinating to a disaster junkie like me. Got pretty lost trying to find it (it’s at the old dam site, not the City). Also went to the cemetery, kind of eerie seeing all the tombstones with the same date. 

51 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I’ve been to the Visitor’s Center twice. Fascinating to a disaster junkie like me. Got pretty lost trying to find it (it’s at the old dam site, not the City). Also went to the cemetery, kind of eerie seeing all the tombstones with the same date. 

And no names, they had over 700 bodies that they couldn’t identify.

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I played in the state HS basketball playoffs twice in the Johnstown War Memorial Stadium.  One of those years we got to tour the church.  I vividly remember the flood line.

At my previous job, there were flood lines from the 1972 Agnes flood in Painted Post NY. About 11 feet. My uncles house filled with 8 feet of mud in Elmira NY.