Is your patience evenly distributed?

Ralphie

I find I have more patience for some things than others.  I think of myself as a patient person and not overly addicted to instant gratification, but many things irk me, mainly things that are too slow IMO.  And I really am not in dire need of the extra seconds I am loosing waiting for slow people and slow internet.

I read a good article on pocket aboot that that will post for your edification if I get a round tuit.

Ahh, here itiz.

http://nautil.us/issue/22/slow/why-your-brain-hates-slowpokes

When I went in for my cat scan this week I left a half hour before I had to in case of construction or slowpokes. With nothing slowing me down it takes thirty minutes. I left home an hour before my appointment. As I came through the last light in Mercer a car pulled out in front of me and I had to hit my brake. They then poked along all the way out of Mercer. I knew I had time but they were so annoying. A 55 mph speed limit on a two lane road and they were going about 38 mph. I knew what they were going to do. As I approached the three lane hill, the only place that you can safely pass they speeded up to seventy mph. I went around them anyway. After I passed them they slowed back down.

when I got to the stupid roundabout construction in Hermitage they have two way traffic through the construction but there was a truck going my direction and it was stopped dead in the water. I couldn’t see around it to see what it was stopped for. Traffic was maintained going the other direction. After about five minutes we started moving again. No clue why we were stopped. I made my appointment in plenty of time but was still annoyed by stupid people.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

When I was training aircraft mechanics or teaching database classes at the local college, I had to develop patience. I didn't want to rush students and have them miss something. 

There is a real art to teaching. Too many instructors, teachers, and especially professors are totally oblivious to how their students are receiving their missives. 

• Heart 3

A good example is the battery indicator on my Lubuntu laptop will not alarm at the 20% setting it has. A little research shows it has never worked on Lubuntu and the Battery Monitor project has been abandoned. So it is a first world problem that is snot worth Further effort.  I guess in this case I got what I paid for. :D

But due to the don quixote in me, it will still bother and bug me. :D  :(
(Get it? Bug me?  Actually I need Dottles to fix it since it is written in python.  :D )

25 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

A good example is the battery indicator on my Lubuntu laptop will not alarm at the 20% setting it has. A little research shows it has never worked on Lubuntu and the Battery Monitor project has been abandoned. So it is a first world problem that is snot worth Further effort.  I guess in this case I got what I paid for. :D

But due to the don quixote in me, it will still bother and bug me. :D  :(
(Get it? Bug me?  Actually I need Dottles to fix it since it is written in python.  :D )

Dots?  Be careful lest you end up with a low battery alarm so over designed that It keeps track of when to replace the milk in the fridge and ink in the printer.

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Dots?  Be careful lest you end up with a low battery alarm so over designed that It keeps track of when to replace the milk in the fridge and ink in the printer.

image.png.c28f20cb2a7eb50e49649799b94a573f.png

At least it put a yellow one in there that is a little more noticeable than the green one.

I have no patience with anyone whose purpose is to sow hatred of my fellow countrymen to further a political, religious, or social agenda where they are uncompromising in reaching their goals: anything done to harm the opposition seems ok.

There are so many of them today and it has become pointless to try to make them see that a democracy can't exist without compromise.

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I have no patience with anyone whose purpose is to sow hatred of my fellow countrymen to further a political, religious, or social agenda where they are uncompromising in reaching their goals: anything done to harm the opposition seems ok.

There are so many of them today and it has become pointless to try to make them see that a democracy can't exist without compromise.

I read a very good book by a guy who pontificated on how to fix that.  Can't remember it for the life of me though, but I might have noted it in the other computer.  I'll look later if'n I remember.