Saturday at bikeman cafe

bikeman564™

I am trying to summon the energy and initiative to gofer a ride. The heat and inertia are both pushing me toward staying inert. But I guess my heart would appreciate a little :($& exercise, and my soul would like the outing. But my legz and butt are voting no. :D  :(

Hmm, are inert and inertia derived from the same word root?  I guess I need  to investigate that now  :) 

BTW, I blame @Dottles for this lack of motivation predicament  :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have doctor appointments next week. I’ll ask why they want my pressure so low. It was always in the 120/70 range except while the heart attack was going on. Now it’s running 105/55.

Do they have you on beta blockers? From personal experience, that can do it along with not being able to get your heart rate much over 100 BPM even when riding your bike up a steep hill.

10 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Do they have you on beta blockers? From personal experience, that can do it along with not being able to get your heart rate much over 100 BPM even when riding your bike up a steep hill.

Yep, just looked up Metoprolol, it’s a beta blocker used to help prevent death after a heart attack. It says you shouldn’t take it if you have a slow heart rate. Do they consider 50 slow?

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Yep, just looked up Metoprolol, it’s a beta blocker used to help prevent death after a heart attack. It says you shouldn’t take it if you have a slow heart rate. Do they consider 50 slow?

I was on that one. Meds that end in LOL don't mean Laugh Out Loud. They are probably beta blockers. I hated taking them as they kept my heart rate too low which bothered my cycling plus was bad in the heat. If your heart is pumping less, it's like the water pump in a car engine pumping less on a hot day. Certainly talk to your doctor as standing up and getting dizzy doesn't sound good to me. In my case the cardiologist reduced the dosage and changed the brand of beta blockers a little at a time until I was completely off of beta blockers after about 4 years.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, JerrySTL said:

I was on that one. Meds that end in LOL don't mean Laugh Out Loud. They are probably beta blockers. I hated taking them as they kept my heart rate too low which bothered my cycling plus was bad in the heat. If your heart is pumping less, it's like the water pump in a car engine pumping less on a hot day. Certainly talk to your doctor as standing up and getting dizzy doesn't sound good to me. In my case the cardiologist reduced the dosage and changed the brand of beta blockers a little at a time until I was completely off of beta blockers after about 4 years.

I've been on beta blockers for years and never really noticed much effect from them.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Certainly talk to your doctor as standing up and getting dizzy doesn't sound good to me.

This was my thought too.  105/55 seems low to me.  But I'm not a doc.  Maybe they want it low for a while??  I'd ask.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I also am taking Metoprolol, when I took a stress test I had to get my heartrate up to 137, no problem I thought, wrong I was.

I got it there but I was at a full out sprint on a steep incline on the treadmill.

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

This was my thought too.  105/55 seems low to me.  But I'm not a doc.  Maybe they want it low for a while??  I'd ask.

After one of my bronchoscopies, shortly after woke up I noticed my BP was 106 over 60 something IIRC. I thought that was low, but I was super chill :)

7 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I've been on beta blockers for years and never really noticed much effect from them.

This is normal for long term use.  The body compensates by over producing whatever is being blocked and this often requires the dosage to be raised periodically for the medication to continue working.  The danger comes if for some reason you have to stop taking the medication as the rebound in blood pressure can be quite high for a few days.  I changed doctors once I found one friendly to cyclists who was willing to adjust my meds to something more friendly to cycling and heart rate.  I had been taking Atenolol which I jokingly called "sloth in a can".

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

This is normal for long term use.  The body compensates by over producing whatever is being blocked and this often requires the dosage to be raised periodically for the medication to continue working.  The danger comes if for some reason you have to stop taking the medication as the rebound in blood pressure can be quite high for a few days.  I changed doctors once I found one friendly to cyclists who was willing to adjust my meds to something more friendly to cycling and heart rate.  I had been taking Atenolol which I jokingly called "sloth in a can".

There were times that I couldn't get my HR over 110 bpm due to beta blockers. I found a new cardiologist who was a marathon runner. She understood and weened me off them over a few years.  I set my heart rate monitor to beep at 160 bpm.

• Awesome 1