The story of my day at the races.

maddmaxx

"I was the only one wearing a mask.  This was after I explained that at 74 I had to be very careful and they all agreed that you have to do stuff to protect yourself."

In other words, they were saying, "Screw you.  Masks basically protect others from you and we're not going to go to the trouble of wearing a mask and keeping others from catching COVID-19."

7 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

"I was the only one wearing a mask.  This was after I explained that at 74 I had to be very careful and they all agreed that you have to do stuff to protect yourself."

In other words, they were saying, "Screw you.  Masks basically protect others from you and we're not going to go to the trouble of wearing a mask and keeping others from catching COVID-19."

You could look at it this way OR accept the fact the group were comfortable with each other, and he was a new comer and they did not respond very rapidly to the new person in their midst. It would be different if there were signs posted that you must wear a mask, and even then some folks still don't wear them in some of the grocery stores. Those without masks are young people and grumpy old bastards. I am not jesting.

8 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

You could look at it this way OR accept the fact the group were comfortable with each other, and he was a new comer and they did not respond very rapidly to the new person in their midst. It would be different if there were signs posted that you must wear a mask, and even then some folks still don't wear them in some of the grocery stores. Those without masks are young people and grumpy old bastards. I am not jesting.

I will say that the core of the club is a very tight group complete with gatherings of multiple racers setting up their work tables in a horseshoe arrangement and sitting shoulder to shoulder under pop up canopies.  Everyone was good about keeping a distance from me once I said that I was 74 and scared to death of the virus.  The interesting thing about this aspect of the hobby is that IMO back in the day, there would have been real cars and street racing involved.  The group buys insurance to cover the club so they can get permission to race at some of the venus they go to but I was shocked to find that many places charge from $600 to $1000 dollars for the use of an empty parking lot for a few hours.  This community college was a free location but not as good a site as the one I posted videos from in Fall River Ma a week ago.