Do you like to buy tools?

Square Wheels

Just now, Longjohn said:

Before last winter I did buy a big snow blower and a big generator. Worked like a charm , no snow and no power failures all winter.

Same here except it was over 3 years ago and I finally needed to use the generator when we had an overnight power failure a few months ago.

I also bought a set of mounted snow tires for WoJSTLs car a few years ago and didn't even bother to install them on the car the last two winters. Now that we are both retired, we really don't need to go anywhere if there's any snow or ice. I may put them on this winter as the tires will be nearing 7 years old.

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a need for a biscuit joiner, I will use it once now, and maybe not use it again for years.

We can work on this together. 

I have a biscuit joiner. I am in the part of the cycle where I won’t be using it again for years. By the time I need it again, you will be done with it.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

Not any more. So7 sells tools for a living. I can borrow whatever I need off of his truck. 

D77AA158-F741-4B6E-894F-67AB456FF1D3.jpeg

I have a small, albeit relatively expensive, collection of Snap-Ons. I had most of my S-Ks stolen to support a cocaine habit and a decent paying job at the time. It’s mostly wrenches, sockets and plier-type tools. I’m thinking about adding a set of metric combos, maybe of the ratcheting flavor. The thing about Snap-On is that the price of the set is equal to the sum if the individual pieces. 

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I like buying tools. I don’t buy very many anymore. By the time you reach 70 if you don’t already have it you probably don’t need it.

I love buying tools.  I'll be 70 when my house is rebuilt and State Farm is paying me the new, not the depreciated, value of my tools including a metal lathe, band saw, drill press, table saw, router & table, grinder, and more.

I don't know how much I'm going to replace - but it will be fun!

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a need for a biscuit joiner, I will use it once now, and maybe not use it again for years.

I like buying tools.

Can you rent? I hate to have to buy specialized tools that I may not use again for a long time. That is why I use to make a deal with the LBS, that I would buy specialized tools he could use, and he would do my modifications or repairs. Worked out well for us over the years. This also the guy that would close his shop and come get me, if I had a real problem. He would also do this for cross country riders, and tell them to call if they had additional problems. I think he would drive 100miles to help a cyclist.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Men and love of tools/weapons probably goes back to the time the first shaped-stone ones were invented hundreds of thousands of years ago.

It's not widely known that, according to the legends, most of the city-state and island kings among the Greeks didn't want anything to do with the Trojan War - they were forced into it by an oath they had taken earlier involving beautiful Helen.

On the Island of Skyros, their king was the greatest of all the Greek warriors, Achilles.  But Achilles dress as a woman and hid from the messengers of King Agamemnon (I stood at his grave and in his bedroom at the ruins of Mycenae!). the brother-in-law of Helen and the #1 king in Greece. Achilles didn't want to fight the Trojans over some unfaithful woman!

So the messengers of Agamemnon laid out two big tables in the main square of the island's city.  One table had linen, clothing, jewelry, and the like. The other table had tools and weapons.  When someone dressed as a woman began admiring the weapons, the messengers caught Achilles and delivered to call to arms.

Similarly Odysseus - the guy who came up with the idea of the Trojan Horse than won the war and the main character in the Odyssey - was King of the Island of Ithaca.  When the messengers came, he pretended to be insane and began plowing a field and sowing it with salt instead of seeds.  The messengers placed a baby in front of Odysseus's path. He stopped, proving his sanity, and the call to arms was issued.

The result - according to the legend - was that the Kings of Greece met at the Port of Aulis, bringing there 1200 ships, each filled with 80 warriors armed to the teeth with weapons of bronze. And so Helen was called, "The face that launched a thousand ships."

In real life, there certainly was no Trojan was as told by Homer, etc.  But, when 19th Century archeologists discovered the Troy of 1184 BC,  They found the west wall of the city was the poorest built.  In Homer's Iliad, he says the gods told the Greeks to attack the West wall.  When Heinrich Schliemann was searching for Troy. He had runners run around various "Tels" in Turkey - large hills that build-up over the ages from dirt caught from the winds by the ruins of cities. They're all over the Middle East.  When the time required to circle one particular tel matched the time of the one-on-one battle when Achilles killed Hector, circling the city, it turned out to be the site of Troy.

When I was at Troy in 1996, I asked my companion to take a picture of me against a certain section of the Wall of Troy.  She, a history major, remarked, "Oh, yeah, "The angle of Troy's wall!"

I had notice how the wall wasn't close to straight up - it sloped back a lot, apparently due to being in an earthquake zone.  In the Iliad, Homer wrote, "Three times brave Patroclus tried to scale THE ANGLE OF TROY'S WALL, and three times the god Apollo batted him back."

Homer lived about 500 years AFTER the Trojan war, and much of his Iliad and Odyssey were surely passed down from other bards who sang in pubs and restaurants.  SOMETHING happened.  Among the ruins are signs of a siege, homes turned into bakeries. etc.  Arrowheads are found among the destroyed areas.  Echos of what really happened in terms of the walls and some of the action were clearly passed down.

But it's more likely that the Trojans were charging a toll or raiding ships that traveled between the Black Sea and the Aegean Sea. between which they were situated.  So the Greeks probably had enough and raided Troy and knocked it out for good.  There were later cities built on the site which retained the name "Ilium" which Homers mentions a lot and was likely the city's real name.  But the later cities weren't as strong.  Also, Ilium is also mention in the Hittite records as being a vassal city of the Hittite Empire and the Greeks may have wanted to keep the Hittites far to the East and away from the Aegean.

13 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Ripped out old carpeting.  Tile floor underneath, wooden top step not flush with floor.  Top had two layers of flooring.  I am joining the new piece of floor to overhang the top step as oddly the double layer floor moves a bit.  I will use 5 or so biscuits and a lot of construction adhesive and long flooring screws to make sure nothing moves.

Having this installed in the tiny hallway and small office area.

Highcliffe_Greige_Range.png

I have no idea what a biscuit joiner is, but if you need to eat two biscuits at once, I guess you should get one.  Do they make a left-handed version for right-handed people?

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, jsharr said:
11 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Men and love of tools/weapons probably goes back to the time the first shaped-stone ones were invented hundreds of thousands of years ago.

It's not widely known that, according to the legends, most of the city-state and island kings among the Greeks didn't want anything to do with the Trojan War - they were forced into it by an oath they had taken earlier involving beautiful Helen.

On the Island of Skyros, their king was the greatest of all the Greek warriors, Achilles.  But Achilles dress as a woman and hid from the messengers of King Agamemnon (I stood at his grave and in his bedroom at the ruins of Mycenae!). the brother-in-law of Helen and the #1 king in Greece. Achilles didn't want to fight the Trojans over some unfaithful woman!

So the messengers of Agamemnon laid out two big tables in the main square of the island's city.  One table had linen, clothing, jewelry, and the like. The other table had tools and weapons.  When someone dressed as a woman began admiring the weapons, the messengers caught Achilles and delivered to call to arms.

Similarly Odysseus - the guy who came up with the idea of the Trojan Horse than won the war and the main character in the Odyssey - was King of the Island of Ithaca.  When the messengers came, he pretended to be insane and began plowing a field and sowing it with salt instead of seeds.  The messengers placed a baby in front of Odysseus's path. He stopped, proving his sanity, and the call to arms was issued.

The result - according to the legend - was that the Kings of Greece met at the Port of Aulis, bringing there 1200 ships, each filled with 80 warriors armed to the teeth with weapons of bronze. And so Helen was called, "The face that launched a thousand ships."

In real life, there certainly was no Trojan was as told by Homer, etc.  But, when 19th Century archeologists discovered the Troy of 1184 BC,  They found the west wall of the city was the poorest built.  In Homer's Iliad, he says the gods told the Greeks to attack the West wall.  When Heinrich Schliemann was searching for Troy. He had runners run around various "Tels" in Turkey - large hills that build-up over the ages from dirt caught from the winds by the ruins of cities. They're all over the Middle East.  When the time required to circle one particular tel matched the time of the one-on-one battle when Achilles killed Hector, circling the city, it turned out to be the site of Troy.

When I was at Troy in 1996, I asked my companion to take a picture of me against a certain section of the Wall of Troy.  She, a history major, remarked, "Oh, yeah, "The angle of Troy's wall!"

I had notice how the wall wasn't close to straight up - it sloped back a lot, apparently due to being in an earthquake zone.  In the Iliad, Homer wrote, "Three times brave Patroclus tried to scale THE ANGLE OF TROY'S WALL, and three times the god Apollo batted him back."

Homer lived about 500 years AFTER the Trojan war, and much of his Iliad and Odyssey were surely passed down from other bards who sang in pubs and restaurants.  SOMETHING happened.  Among the ruins are signs of a siege, homes turned into bakeries. etc.  Arrowheads are found among the destroyed areas.  Echos of what really happened in terms of the walls and some of the action were clearly passed down.

But it's more likely that the Trojans were charging a toll or raiding ships that traveled between the Black Sea and the Aegean Sea. between which they were situated.  So the Greeks probably had enough and raided Troy and knocked it out for good.  There were later cities built on the site which retained the name "Ilium" which Homers mentions a lot and was likely the city's real name.  But the later cities weren't as strong.  Also, Ilium is also mention in the Hittite records as being a vassal city of the Hittite Empire and the Greeks may have wanted to keep the Hittites far to the East and away from the Aegean.

Read more  

It was a yes or no question I think

Or Mick was sampling too much ouzo, then went into teaching mode and started to write a history lecture about tools, but he got distracted by Helen?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

It seemed a lot less fussy.  The biscuits move left and right easily.

The biscuits swell to fill the slot when glue is applied.

1 hour ago, Further said:

What makes biscuits better than dowls

I don't know. The tool is very precise and gives you repeatability.