Some good news !!!

Further

15 minutes ago, Further said:

The union contract at work expires tonight at 12:00

Negotiations have been going on for month. Started out dismally. The company basically said bend over and if you want lube...bring your own 

Tentative contract came out last night, 3 years, pretty much everything stays the same,  Pension was my big concern and it is untouched, insurance is untouched. A $500.00 ratification bonus when the contract passes voting, 45 penny raises in years 2 & 3.

I need 2 more Novembers to qualify for a decent pension, this contract covers that.

I am a much relieved happy camper   :hapydance:

Consider yourselves lucky...during a pandemic.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

Cool. I know nothing aboot union stuffs

There are pluses and minuses

In general union pays better, but they defend people that shouldn't be defended, and they can put you out of work over stupid shit when the contract is up.

Contract time is stressful.....

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Further said:

In general union pays better, but they defend people that shouldn't be defended, and they can put you out of work over stupid shit when the contract is up.

yeah, I'm glad to work for a non-union IMO.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

If I were running a company I would offer a better deal to keep the union out. 

But if 

1 minute ago, 2Far said:

Private sector pensions are still a thing??

I'm one of the last covered by it. In 2008 they changed it, in 2011 they eliminated it and are now strictly 401k

But so far if you are in, they still honor it.

Several older guys retired in past couple months over pension fears. They're leaving hurt the company. A lot of knowledge left, and the work ethic took a hit. 

Just now, Further said:

If I were running a company I would offer a better deal to keep the union out. 

The company I work for is privately held, which was started in 1964. It was sold in 2012 and is still private. The original owner never wanted anything to do w/ a union. He would joke and say the UAW stood for U Ain't Workin' :D To keep a company open for 48 years, he's no dummy. Business he knows. The diversification of the company kept the doors open, even in shitty times.

• Heart 2

When I drove truck the owner of my company was non-union. He based our pay and benefits off his father in law’s trucking company which was union. He told us he would like to keep the company non-union but it was up to us. He treated us well. During a recession the union drivers took a cut in pay and lost their vacation pay. Our boss didn’t change anything. The union drivers were not happy with us.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I drove truck the owner of my company was non-union. He based our pay and benefits off his father in law’s trucking company which was union. He told us he would like to keep the company non-union but it was up to us. He treated us well. During a recession the union drivers took a cut in pay and lost their vacation pay. Our boss didn’t change anything. The union drivers were not happy with us.

I worked for a company for 7 months that was non-union.  They bent over backwards to keep workers from voting a union in, but treated the salaried workers like shit.  There was tremendous salaried worker turnover, but the company apparently didn't care.

52 minutes ago, Further said:

The union contract at work expires tonight at 12:00

Negotiations have been going on for month. Started out dismally. The company basically said bend over and if you want lube...bring your own 

Tentative contract came out last night, 3 years, pretty much everything stays the same,  Pension was my big concern and it is untouched, insurance is untouched. A $500.00 ratification bonus when the contract passes voting, 45 penny raises in years 2 & 3.

I need 2 more Novembers to qualify for a decent pension, this contract covers that.

I am a much relieved happy camper   :hapydance:

Being vested in a pension plan is a major thing these days, especially since not so many have one anymore.  I figuratively pat my 30's self on the back every day for making the decision to leave a better paying job with no pension and less stability for a teaching job with a good pension. If I had known coming out of college what I know now, I'd have gone directly into teaching in a large, countywide school system and had 30 years for the full pension instead of 22 for a pretty good pension with full health insurance benefits in a great, 75% subsidized, big-company-low-cost supplemental insurance.

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, Further said:

Even the hoopleheads know this is a good deal

Dunno. When I worked at the steel mill, we went on strike after they gave us a shitty offer. (Part of the game). 

I thought the next offer was acceptable, but they voted it down. “Okay, I guess these guys are in this for the long haul...”

About six weeks later, they accepted the company’s most recent offer, which was exactly the same as the last one. 

Freakin idiots stayed out another six weeks for nothing.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Glad to hear you got an offer that will keep you employed “long enough”, that you’re happy with.

I hear that the place I worked between FTS and the university has gone out on strike. They’re trying to hire replacements, but I know for sure that they couldn’t find anyone even when they weren’t trying to hire scabs. Most of the guys there were within a stone’s throw of retiring. I was only there eight weeks, and two guys went while I was there.

Pretty sure this might hasten the end of the road for that company.

17 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I think you should be more happy that the ownership is ethical and wants to pay you a fair wage, not what it can get away with.

The main reasons for unions is to protect members from not getting their fair share of the pie their work produces and you're lucky to not need that protection.

In some cases, it's not needed but in many cases it is.  Remember, it was the unions that created the American Middle Class and as the unions are declining, so is the percent of Americans in the Middle Class while the top 5% of the country takes in 40% of all income, the highest amount since unions were strong.

Unions don't "cost jobs" unless you want Americans to work for the $3/day they make in Chinese factories - and I've been in Chinese factories where women are fired by age 30 because their eyesight fails after years of examining silk threads 12 hrs/day, 6 days/week.  Note that 80% of German workers are unionized and Germany exports 15x the merchandise per person than China does.

• Awesome 1

17 hours ago, Further said:

They also defend people who should be defended and they fight for decent benefits.

They can seem unreasonable in terms of the usually high union dues that come out of your paycheck, but you know you're not going to be the scapegoat for what someone higher up is responsible for.  Also, you're not going to be put in unsafe situations.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I think you should be more happy that the ownership is ethical and wants to pay you a fair wage, not what it can get away with.

The main reasons for unions is to protect members from not getting their fair share of the pie their work produces and you're lucky to not need that protection.

In some cases, it's not needed but in many cases it is.  Remember, it was the unions that created the American Middle Class and as the unions are declining, so is the percent of Americans in the Middle Class while the top 5% of the country takes in 40% of all income, the highest amount since unions were strong.

Unions don't "cost jobs" unless you want Americans to work for the $3/day they make in Chinese factories - and I've been in Chinese factories where women are fired by age 30 because their eyesight fails after years of examining silk threads 12 hrs/day, 6 days/week.  Note that 80% of German workers are unionized and Germany exports 15x the merchandise per person than China does.

What he said. Well put Mick