There are some merchants out some money today

Scrapr

My CC was hacked. On hold right now with fraud dept. My call is important to them so they put me on hold. Do you really think they are experiencing high call volumes on Sunday morning?

Weird collection of charges

• Weight Watchers twice.
  • about a half dozen gun store charges
  • a Days Inn (not Hilton???)
  • few more I can't remember & I'm locked out

Going to my Capital One cash back card. I might pick up a card for bill pay charges only

• Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Ouch.

Theft is terrible.  It is happening everywhere.  How long until it happens at our new place?  :D

if Olive is protecting the grounds you are in safe hands

*our last house was burgled. the kids came in the back door. one kid was assigned to play with the Golden Retriever. They were caught shortly after down the street. But they stashed our stuff & we never found it

Which credit card company has you on hold, @Scrapr ?

I had so much trouble with Citi, continually since June 8th, the only way I could contact them was by the message-box function on my Citi cards' web page.  Even the page to report a lost, stolen, or damaged card and request a replacement has continually only shown a "temporarily closed" sign on its page.

I had two Citi Cards:  the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa and the Citi Double Cash Mastercard.  The Citi Costco Visa stopped working, temporarily until I cleaned the card, and expired 7/31/20.  Attempts to contact by phone, even by dialing 0 in desperation never got through. I used text messaging on the web site - waiting 2 - 10 minutes for each conversation reply, over and over and over and over before finally getting a replacement Costco Visa on July 23rd.

I was supposedly sent a new Citi Double Cash Mastercard on June 19, where my current card expired 8/31/20.  I did the message box several times, trying to tell them their computer didn't get a "did not arrive" from me for the June 19 mailing because the webpage where that's done has been down since June 8, I can't get through by phone, and I won't put the poorly-secured app on my phone.  FINALLY, it sank in and my new Double Cash Card arrived TODAY, Aug. 2.

new card on the way. 4-6 business days. I should have pushed for overnight but I heard B of A was tight on money so I cut them a break. Also I'm in Bend not my mailing address. So a reroute of the card would seem suspicious to me

Dr Mickin has trouble with the Costco card. I was going to use that one for my bill pay card to segregate them out. My other choice might be the REI card. Any suggestions? I use the B of A card for Alaska miles. And the Cap One card for overseas travel

9 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

new card on the way. 4-6 business days. I should have pushed for overnight but I heard B of A was tight on money so I cut them a break. Also I'm in Bend not my mailing address. So a reroute of the card would seem suspicious to me

Dr Mickin has trouble with the Costco card. I was going to use that one for my bill pay card to segregate them out. My other choice might be the REI card. Any suggestions? I use the B of A card for Alaska miles. 

I didn't have trouble with the card itself, I had trouble getting a replacement.  Meanwhile, a cashier told me to rub it on my shirt and it worked again - but it expired in July so I still needed a new card.

Fortunately Citi was on top of things in 2017. I had my Citi Double Cash Mastercard hacked on HULU, but it was for something like $1.12 and $1.17 on two consec. months' bills.  Apparently it was due to a mistaken number because HULU doesn't even verify the name when it sends charges in and didn't have my name listed - I checked to make sure I wasn't going to get a non-paid bill listed against my credit.  Citi said small charges are sometimes done to see if the cardholder notices, so they changed my card number.

IMO it's important to maintain separate cards for different purposes.  1.  Paying bills such as electric 2. Routine shopping such as groceries 3. My special card for hobby purposes, often made at overseas sites.

That way the hack of any one card does not endanger the others.

Need I say that you pay these off each month without accruing interest and maximizing any cash back or points awards.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Had this happen to my debit card last week. Two charges a an online shoe store. 

Debit cards are less safe than credit cards.  The latter usually have a max loss limit of $50 (usually nothing) and expose only the credit card number.  The Debit card does not necessarily have any loss limit, exposes your bank account for direct theft of money and you do not get your money back till the bank decides you can have it back after they investigate for a while.

Debit cards are for emergency use at ATM's  I know everyone is afraid of having credit cards, but they are just as good as money.

• Heart 1

I had to call Chase last month. Payment cleared the bank but Chase didn't credit it to my CC. I aborted the first call, the second time I hit the button that took me to the “declined charge” department. Raj picked up pretty quickly. Said that the issue was on the bank’s side b/c it was a large payment. Dunno, it wasn’t that large, but Raj was able to fix it.