Cycling through ultra wealthy neighbourhoods

shootingstar

It's somewhat amusing and not surprising to bike through very wealthy neighbourhoods and really, have no clue how huge some of these mansions are.  Well-hidden, etc.  I used to bike nearly daily through this neighbourhood because it's part of a bike route and yes, there are terrific natural views of ocean, lots of trees.  

All one notices is um...landscaping trucks, some streets beautifully lined with cypress trees, cherry blossom etc.  which can be in both older low income and high income neighbourhoods.

In my opinion some Canadian cities, can be /are Hollywood North.  Just make sure one has a great landscaping budget to deal with fast growing luxuriant pacific coastal vegetation.

One of the bike routes In Vancouver, got a huge amount of flak from the residents because a)it was running through a very wealthy neighbourhood  b) hey didn't want their peace broken by cyclists and driving bothered by them.

Now its' ok. They live with it.

I live in the next city inland from Newport Beach CA.  Maybe I’m just immune to it but we often walk & ride in the neighborhoods of the uber rich.  Coastal mansions are not necessarily huge as the homes are packed together but Newport Coast has freaking crazy big mansions. 

34 minutes ago, groupw said:

We don’t have too many full-size mansions, but many McMansions from many different eras of time. Most of them are welcoming to cyclists on their streets 

Well, after coming to their senses, in various neighbourhoods that have become gentrified (not in above neighbourhood...since it's always been place for the rich), it can increase value to a home, depending where home is located in relationship to the route.  Plus close to transit. 

For sure, it's noticeable, that it can calm car traffic running through the neighbourhood. It is noticeable in my mother's neighbourhood. And where I am now. The city thankfully has installed a one way signs to reduce drivers from being tempted to drive into a separate cycle track.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I live in the next city inland from Newport Beach CA.  Maybe I’m just immune to it but we often walk & ride in the neighborhoods of the uber rich.  Coastal mansions are not necessarily huge as the homes are packed together but Newport Coast has freaking crazy big mansions. 

I just find the property tax absolutely eye-popping for such places. Of course, if one lives  in  a colder province, winter heating bill would be huge. Of course, haven't included housekeeping bill...even if part-time.

One of the hospitals always has a fundraising lottery which grand prize includes a brand new huge house. Right.  If one can afford to live it. Might as well sell it.

This was the house in Vancouver that was rumoured to have initially interested Prince Harry and Meghan Markle :  https://waterfrontlistingservice.com/recip.html/575838.search/listing.real-estate-presented-by-matt-kinvig-realtor-r2414282-3019-point-grey-road-vancouver-v6k-1a7.90579202

Fortunately these homes which do hog the waterfront view...there is green space, parks in between some houses occasionally for cyclists, walkers to see the lovely shoreline view. 

There some areas with even more outstanding views. This area is where you can see the seaplanes lift off over the mountains.

https://www.vancouver-penthouse.com/Coal-Harbour-Luxury-Condos/2601-277-thurlow-street-coal-harbour-vancouver-mls-reg-r24?order=listing_price+DESC&mls_number=R2441831  The problem is some of the fuel from the sea plane launch...can pollute the air, get black exhaust dust, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

The one you quoted was probably in the $1.5 million range.

When I travel on business I always like to see what homes go for in the neighborhoods.  In my city  1.5 million will get you a nicer 2,000 SF 3-4 BR 2.5 bath single family home with a small yard.

20200815_142822.thumb.jpg.cfe43402ebe69c17c9fbd1b29d752d9c.jpg

I watched this one get built.  It was a rainy day before the lawn was put it.  The guy wanted to talk to the builder so he drove his Bentley over to him.  The car sunk into the mud.  When I went by, he was axel deep in mud and spinning his tires.  I LOL'ed.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

When I travel on business I always like to see what homes go for in the neighborhoods.  In my city  1.5 million will get you a nicer 2,000 SF 3-4 BR 2.5 bath single family home with a small yard.

The Detroit area is very reasonably priced.

• Heart 1