Apple CarKey...

Bikeguy

7 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I use the GM app. Lock/unlock; start/kill; panic button. 

I understand the reluctance to use the Apple Car Key, but those car company fuckers really bend you over if you want to get a replacement for a lost key.  Using apps seems to be a cheaper route.

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Even if we had a compatible car, I'd be concerned about the phone being stolen or lost or hacked.   I'll just use my key fob and the start button.

I'm just don't trust having so much of my life tied to my phone.   

Meanwhile, the "Home" option on the navigation is programed to your actual home rather than a nearby store outside your neighborhood, and the garage door opener is either an external device attached to your visor or the "Homelink" buttons built into the visor. Drive up to the house, open the garage and drive in, close door and looks like you arrived home. Interior door locked? Your tools in the garage will take care of that.

14 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

was just added to WoBG's iPhone XR with the latest OS update.   Apple Car Key

Even if we had a compatible car, I'd be concerned about the phone being stolen or lost or hacked.   I'll just use my key fob and the start button.

I'm just don't trust having so much of my life tied to my phone.   

I can say, I'd notice almost immediately if someone stole my phone, but would likely go days or weeks without noticing if a spare car key was stolen.  I'm hoping the app has a disable function - either in the car or online.

4 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Good Plan

My car with the push button start is a 2016 Prius.  Who wants to steal a Prius???   Yeah it has a navigation system... but I'm not worried about it being stolen anytime soon.

My other 2 cars use keys and they don't have navigation.  My 2010 Subaru Forester probably has never been on the top 20 list of most stolen cars.  

WoBG's 1997 Honda Prelude... who knows about that one.  It's in great condition.  It does have a key with the chip, so when the chip is not present, the car immobilizer won't start the car.  At least that's the explanation about how that works.

9 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

My car with the push button start is a 2016 Prius.  Who wants to steal a Prius???

Someone with a 2015 Prius.

Couldn't find the article but there are also people who use some sort signal amplifiers to break into cars. The amplifiers can take the signal from your key fob - in your house - and fool the car into thinking your key is in the vicinity and the door unlocks.

9 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Couldn't find the article but there are also people who use some sort signal amplifiers to break into cars. The amplifiers can take the signal from your key fob - in your house - and fool the car into thinking your key is in the vicinity and the door unlocks.

Yeah I've read about that too.   I'm still not worried...    They'd have to break into my garage just to get to the cars.   And the fob is at least 20 feet from any outside wall.

14 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Someone with a 2015 Prius.

Probably not..    https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/street-smarts/top-cars-owners-keep-15-years-or-longer-list-article-1.3766635