So Hawai'i wants to welcome Canucks tourists / $$$

shootingstar

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hawaii-welcomes-canada-back-september-1.5672470  While they are islands, it still doesn't make sense to me (as a Canadian).  The whole idea and cost of being detained if sick in a foreign country, is a jittery thought/feel.

And to heck with travel medical insurance. Most insurers don't want to cover covid for foreign travel.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-travel-couples-alaska-1.5670867  And some couples with differing citizenship, got married at the border. I guess a partner will have to apply for the other to immigrate whichever country...Canada or U.S.  I appreciate love conquers all....

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Is COVID being excluded by travel medical insurance? What about normal health insurance coverage when abroad?

I know the major providers for private travel medical insurance aren't covering it.  I am not certain for Alberta.  And Ontario was covering for a few days only.  I'm not interested in figuring it out. It's doubtful that it would be pleasant travelling anyway with all the precautions and masking indoors (if that).

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I know the major providers for private travel medical insurance aren't covering it.  I am not certain for Alberta.  And Ontario was covering for a few days only.  I'm not interested in figuring it out. It's doubtful that it would be pleasant travelling anyway with all the precautions and masking indoors (if that).

It would be interesting to know - from a historical perspective - about how CAnadians and Americans abroad during the start of this pandemic have done with regards to insurance coverage when sick overseas or stuck and unable/unwilling to return.

My cousin and his wife were in South Africa at the start of this, and are STILL in SA.  They opted to just rent a "vacation" home and live there rather than return to the US.  The home - normally in hot demand and expensive would otherwise be empty due to COVID and restrictions in SA, so the landlord and they are making it a win-win situation.  I imagine being stuck in Hawaii for six months would be fine (for me) if the cost was reasonable, but I doubt I would be willing to fly there right now.

20 hours ago, shootingstar said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hawaii-welcomes-canada-back-september-1.5672470  While they are islands, it still doesn't make sense to me (as a Canadian).  The whole idea and cost of being detained if sick in a foreign country, is a jittery thought/feel.

And to heck with travel medical insurance. Most insurers don't want to cover covid for foreign travel.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-travel-couples-alaska-1.5670867  And some couples with differing citizenship, got married at the border. I guess a partner will have to apply for the other to immigrate whichever country...Canada or U.S.  I appreciate love conquers all....

America is the safest country in the world and we have done the best job with the virus and everyone else is amazed.  True story.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I doubt I would be willing to fly there right now.

If everyone on the plane had tested negative within the previous 72 hours would you consider it differently? 

To be clear, this is Hawaii’s policy to all travelers, not just Canadians. 

They have also discussed a “quarantine bubble” which would allow travelers to go out of their room but stay on resort property without Covid testing. That sound absurd to me, both from a traveler’s perspective and from an employee’s. I’d want not part of any of that. 

54 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

If everyone on the plane had tested negative within the previous 72 hours would you consider it differently? 

They have also discussed a “quarantine bubble” which would allow travelers to go out of their room but stay on resort property without Covid testing. That sound absurd to me, both from a traveler’s perspective and from an employee’s. I’d want not part of any of that. 

For one, you're the one that has me not seeing any validity in a test that is that old!  I need real time results :)  But also, I don't know that I have a direct flight to Hawaii anyway.

And, from an employee's perspective, it still has to be miles ahead of other system in the US.  Likewise, many travelers to the Caribbean or to other foreign resorts are VERY used to just sticking to a property.  Think Sandals or any of the all-inclusive resorts around the world.

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I need real time results

Good luck? I think people are commonly waiting 10 days for a result, so I doubt this Hawai’i plan will help them much.

I have a reservation in Kona for December. Made last December. I suspect I’ll need to cancel come November. :(

30 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Likewise, many travelers to the Caribbean or to other foreign resorts are VERY used to just sticking to a property.

Sure, lots of people don’t leave a resort ordinarily. But they usually aren’t at risk for carrying around a potentially fatal respiratory illness.

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I am covered and covered internationallyif I get sick, but still have no wish to travel anywhere that Americans may be for a while.  

That sounds like profiling, and profiling is wrong....

I think US citizens are going to be the redheaded step child of the world for a while.    

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Sure, lots of people don’t leave a resort ordinarily. But they usually aren’t at risk for carrying around a potentially fatal respiratory illness.

My point being - for Hawaiian employees - the standard is no lower (and seemingly significantly better) than the Continental US where employees EVERYWHERE - stores, hotels, etc - are exposed daily to highly (relative) concentrated levels of folks carrying around (and spreading) a potentially fatal respiratory illness.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My point being - for Hawaiian employees - the standard is no lower (and seemingly significantly better) than the Continental US where employees EVERYWHERE - stores, hotels, etc - are exposed daily to highly (relative) concentrated levels of folks carrying around (and spreading) a potentially fatal respiratory illness.

And my point is if they don’t accept these Covid unknowns onto the island, their risk is infinitely lower than if they do.

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And my point is if they don’t accept these Covid unknowns onto the island, their risk is infinitely lower than if they do.

I agree, but those resort employees 1) don't make the policy decisions, and 2) can't afford to not have jobs :( 

It's a shit show for all the folks who have taken it seriously from day 1 & who thought they could gut it out for a few months and be rewarded on the other side with a return to normal and then the gut punch that it wasn't taken seriously by many, so now 3 months of pain will be 12 months or 18 months or maybe even more of prolonged pain.

Hopefully, the tactic of reaching out to more responsible areas of the world - CAnada (maybe) and Japan or South Korea or even - gasp - CHINA????  But I can see a proactive smack at Hawaii and a ban on tourism from there if word gets out that the US looks bad by letting other countries visit but not mainland US. :scratchhead:

On 8/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, shootingstar said:

"Starting on Aug. 1, tourists looking to visit Hawaii will be able to bypass the state’s two-week quarantine requirement for arrivals by getting a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours before landing in the state."

If that means the test was taken 3 days before going to Hawaii, it's going to hard in most places to get the results by then!  Since Hawaii wants to open up tourism, I'm guess that means the date the test result was determined, not the date of the actual test.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

"Starting on Aug. 1, tourists looking to visit Hawaii will be able to bypass the state’s two-week quarantine requirement for arrivals by getting a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours before landing in the state."

If that means the test was taken 3 days before going to Hawaii, it's going to hard in most places to get the results by then!  Since Hawaii wants to open up tourism, I'm guess that means the date the test result was determined, not the date of the actual test.

I agree, there are long lineups for testing in my province.  So Hawaii needs a reality check.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I agree, there are long lineups for testing in my province.  So Hawaii needs a reality check.

Neither Hawaii, nor the rest of the US, nor CAnada need to put up with the challenges around testing.  It can be done properly. Period.  It is just about prioritization.

Imagine if labs doing the testing were told they would only get paid for tests completed in a 24 or 48 hour window.  Do you think they would hire more staff, order more resources, make it a top priority? Or maybe stop wasting people's time with bogus & useless tests?

Seems the tech is out there - in many forms - so why not?