Steamed meat dishes

shootingstar

Some of those steamed dishes...are my comfort dishes...from childhood.  So it's not a fried meat nor BBQ meat dish. It's a steamed meat dish....Chinese style.  Recipe that I use omits rice wine, sugar. Really, it's not necessary. Very easy dish.

And coincidentally, healthy. So I got indoctrinated early in life, without realizing it.  So much, that I make such dishes occasionally now.

Steamed Chicken with Mushrooms & Dried Lily Flowers, by thewoksoflife.com

• Heart 3

6 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I'll have to try that. My only experience with steamed meats has been dumpling fillings. To be honest, they're kind of bland - like boiled burger. Not bad, but kind of blah. This doesn't appear to be that way.

Well, then you might need a bit of rice wine, etc.  What I would do to perk up a palate like yours is add more soy sauce ( 1 more small jot),  minced ginger root, even sliced Chinese sausage and steam with the whole dish.

Steamed fish with abit of soy sauce, oil, green onion, ginger root showcases a fresh, quality fish: ie. whitefish, pickerel, even trout, salmon. So it's 1 step away from eating sashimi, but it's cooked with some flavour.  The whole idea is not to mask quality fish with deep fried fish batter, heavy sauces, etc.

Just now, shootingstar said:

1 step away from eating sashimi

....which I'm not crazy about, so that's not exactly a ringing endorsement! :D

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

even sliced Chinese sausage

Lop cheong? I had some sort of little red snausages at a Chinese sit-down place, that I LOVED. Been through my snausage making books and the recipes didn't sound like what I had. :(  I also tried a couple of different ones from the Asian grocery and they were OK, but not the same. That's the trouble with regional variations!

Doubt I'd be able to find the wood ear mushrooms or the lily flowers around here - hell, I'm lucky if I can find shiitakes!:rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

....which I'm not crazy about, so that's not exactly a ringing endorsement! :D

I think she means from a flavor profile. It’s a simple way of cooking that doesn’t mask the flavor of the fish.  The texture will change to something you are more familiar to, firmer & flaky but steaming doesn’t dry it out.

We don’t really steam meats but I have tried steaming fish and it’s pretty good.  I prefer milder white fishes than say tuna or swordfish. I wrapped them in banana leave and seasoned pretty much like how @shootingstar said.

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Fish has flavor? :nyanya:

Fish, like chicken breast, is a blank canvas.

Funny in that the only cooked fish I eat anymore is fish sticks.  I love those damn things with tarter sauce!  Otherwise the fish I eat is all raw.  I know it’s not a thing with many of you, but sashimi or sushi with raw cuts do have a distinct flavor.  Some fish is stronger than others.  

But most of you probably think it all tastes like ass anyway and that cool too! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

sashimi or sushi with raw cuts do have a distinct flavor

My son loves it, but I find it to be kind of bland - and some of the textures I don't care for. 

Not a huge fish eater to begin with and since SO doesn't care for it, I seldom cook it.

This is about the only format I regularly eat fish in:
Fish Tacos Recipe with Best Fish Taco Sauce! - NatashasKitchen.com

• Heart 2

34 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

My son loves it, but I find it to be kind of bland - and some of the textures I don't care for. 

Not a huge fish eater to begin with and since SO doesn't care for it, I seldom cook it.

This is about the only format I regularly eat fish in:
Fish Tacos Recipe with Best Fish Taco Sauce! - NatashasKitchen.com

Is there much fish in these tacos?:whistle: