Today's Historical Tidbit 8/3

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

The perfect woman for @Randomguy - completely batshit:

"MY HEART, MY SOUL, GO OUT TO MY HUSBAND; BUT HIS LOVE IS TOO INTENSE-I WILL BE FREE”

Most Remarkable Renunciation of a Husband, on Record by Mrs. Viola Lassen Brown, Chicago Girl Who Offered Herself for Sale and Then Married a Man Who Loved Her.

batshit.png.0eb7dbcb2ed0e46e63bdef57c2bb0eb1.png

CHICAGO. Nov. Si.—Chicago, like Butte. Mont, has Its Mary MacLane. One day a year or two ago a morning newspaper contained in its "For Sale” column a remarkable advertisement.

The advertiser offered herself for sale for life as a slave. She offered to sell herself, body and soul, for all time. Explanation was made, too. She insisted in her "ad", that Chicago was so sordid that It was useless to find-favor in the world unless one sold oneself tor money.

And that was how Viola Larsen got in the limelight. Not Iong ago she met a young man named William Brown. Viola is beautiful, if novel In her views. Brown was an ardent three-day suitor, and they were to be married. After they started to find the minister Miss Larsen suddenly changed her mind.

Changing her mind is not much of a tack for Miss Larsen: She decided that a woman should marry them—not a man.

So they tripped to Evanston. or. rather. Brown tripped after Miss Larsen. and found Justice of the Peace Catherine McCulloch. woman lawyer.. Suffragette and reformer, as well as suburban magistrate.

It didn’t take long for Chicago's Mary MacLane to tire of her young husband. The very things that young brides like the most, evidently caused Mrs. Brown's anger to rise.

So she divorced Brown. - That Is, she told him that they were no longer man and wife. Then she left.

Such things as legal processes were small matters to her genius-mind.

Mrs. Brown's In town, but few know where. At least -Brown, doesn't, or he would go and find her right away. He says so himself.

When she read his statement she indited (?) remarkable defense of domestic freedom. No such renunciation of a husband by a wife was ever made before.

Mrs. Brown, or Miss Larsen, as she prefers to be called again, is talented. She plays the violin and writes poetry —the passionate. Irregular-meter kind. Following Is her remarkable renunciation of Husband Brown:

RENUNCIATION OF HUSBAND BROWN

By Viola 'Larsen Brown ' Our Cupid Is dead. Vain regrets have interred his little body. He can never be restored to life.

I’m going to wed for life a literary career.

I married William Brown to know life as a wife. It is distasteful to me at least as HIS wife. - He loved me too Intensely, too prolongedly, too insistently.

His love awakened me at daybreak; it was spread over my breakfast. It followed me about the house all day. When he was present he whispered It. spoke it vehemently, expressed it In honeyed words and sweetened embraces! When he was away, his picture, his chair. his slippers, his smoking jacket, all said to me: 1 love you."

I sickened at so much affection. I revolted at the ultimate expressions of that lore.

At first my husband was an interesting study in psychology. I played on the strings of his heart as carelessly as an amateur handles a priceless violin. He represented so much gray matter with which I might manipulate, experiment with. !

But there was too much physical spirit. He had an intense desire to spread his happiness over a lifetime.

This does not appeal to me. Every cloud, has two sides, the dull gray side it presents to us, and the sun-lined side it shows to God.

I sow the gray side-of our marital cloud. As in my childhood days I did not care for molasses unless I could lick the syrup off in one quick taste so now does happiness appeal .to me when at Is short and strong.

My husband cries in bitterness because, I will not continue saying: “I love you." It made him happy, but repetition with me breaks the chain.

I cannot murmur constant terms of endearment like a lovesick swain.

I will not return to my husband, under any consideration; there remains not one thread of hope.  

My husband Intends to claim me. 1 shall be careful to keep out of his sight until I am free. My heart goes out to Mr. Brown. Because of my experience, gleaned from bitterness, all my soul goes out to him. Yet I do not want his love; especially I do not want the love which. Interpreted, means physical desire It is unfortunate I should have chosen a mas woo knows so little of my work.

It hurts a trusting heart to build a pedestal for an idol only to find that it is an idol of clay. If Mr. Brown loves me deeply. I pity him deeply”.