I hear about 15K of activity on my roof

Dottleshead

That is the one DIY project I won't do. Utmost respect for people who get up on a a roof in Florida in July!

Although, I say that now...

If a hurricane came through, insurance increases deductible $5000 and roofers have so much business that they increase price by $10,000, with a 6 month delay on the job. If faced with looking at blue tarps for 6 months with them falling apart and leaking, would be very tempted to DIY.

20 hours ago, Tizeye said:

That is the one DIY project I won't do. Utmost respect for people who get up on a a roof in Florida in July!

Although, I say that now...

If a hurricane came through, insurance increases deductible $5000 and roofers have so much business that they increase price by $10,000, with a 6 month delay on the job. If faced with looking at blue tarps for 6 months with them falling apart and leaking, would be very tempted to DIY.

Yeah.  I'm not either.  Plus I'd fall on my phat arse and kill myself.  Oh well.  It needs to be done.

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I purchased the material and hired a contractor to install it. He and his partner had it done in a couple days. Came back for one more day to do the garage.

Well I don't have friends and the contractors here rip you off. Did you put a whole new roof down or didja just reshingle?

51 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well I don't have friends and the contractors here rip you off. Did you put a whole new roof down or didja just reshingle?

His is a metal roof.  Installing a metal roof properly requires skill and knowledge. Took my friend a few years to realize he needed to use longer screws than recommended and to modify his base layer to get the roof to last. As I have mentioned before, insurance companies do not pay for cosmetic damage after a hail storm, but will pay if the hail causes leaks in the metal roof. The last roof we had installed was of the higher quality shingles, and insurance payback or reduction in home owners covered the price difference in 5 years. Hopefully my roof will outlast me.