projects are a pain

12string

Took the Audi in for the free oil change.  Sign on the wall said the hourly rate is $147.  This is why I do my own work.  And I should change professions

got the lawn tractor running with the new engine.  Decided I might as well fix everything, including the ignition switch that won't turn the lights on.  I now have  a tractor I can't start and a new switch coming in the mail.

But the wife doesn't mind pushing the other mower.  Except that's running like crap.  Quick carb rebuild, add an inline filter.  That gets it running for 20 seconds.  Throttle spring fell off.

Bought a hitch for daughter #2's Subaru.  30 minute install.  OK, maybe that wasn't supposed to count the holes in the frame you have to enlarge.  And the corners of the hitch you have to chamfer to get around the muffler hangers.  And the time it takes to use a hydraulic jack and post to open the flanges another 3/4" to actually fit.  Only to find that the bike rack her BF bought her is 2", not 1 1/4"

Got all the brackets and spacers cut and bent for the boat trailer fenders.  I'll finish drilling and assembling in the basement while riding out the tropical storm.  But I still have to move the axle frame forward and the axle back on the trailer.

I did get to look at the GTI while collecting tools.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, 12string said:

Bought a hitch for daughter #2's Subaru.  30 minute install.  OK, maybe that wasn't supposed to count the holes in the frame you have to enlarge.  And the corners of the hitch you have to chamfer to get around the muffler hangers.  And the time it takes to use a hydraulic jack and post to open the flanges another 3/4" to actually fit.  Only to find that the bike rack her BF bought her is 2", not 1 1/4"

I had similar issues with a hitch on my old Kia. Put it in place only to find out that two holes had to be elongated to match up plus had to find larger washers. I also had to bend a 1" piece of steel which should have been welded at a 90° angle but was more like 85°.

I have a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter for the same reason. That doubles the amount of slop so things bounce around some. I put a couple of U-bolt clamps to removed some of it as the tandem really swings around on the hitch rack.

20190519_153351.thumb.jpg.a5d9e119504ae7b8ffcfb09f12d5b49a.jpg 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

I had similar issues with a hitch on my old Kia. Put it in place only to find out that two holes had to be elongated to match up plus had to find larger washers. I also had to bend a 1" piece of steel which should have been welded at a 90° angle but was more like 85°.

I have a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter for the same reason. That doubles the amount of slop so things bounce around some. I put a couple of U-bolt clamps to removed some of it as the tandem really swings around on the hitch rack.

20190519_153351.thumb.jpg.a5d9e119504ae7b8ffcfb09f12d5b49a.jpg 

Watch out for low overpasses on the highway with that rig.

• Heart 1

I'm still looking for an adapter that I can bolt to the hitch, then bolt the rack into the adapter.  Or maybe just drill & tap a piece of 1-1/4" block

This was a Curt hitch.  I also had to modify the holes on the one for the Audi.  Up til now, I've done well with Curt hitches.

25 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

9' 3" tall. Most fast food restaurants and ATMs seem to be 9". Roads don't seem to be an issue so far. 

So about 8' with the wheel off? 

Considering I don't go to many drive thrus, I would be fine, but I might still remove the wheel -- just in case.

2 hours ago, 12string said:

I did the buy and get installed at my U-haul shop.  I can't remember what I paid, but I don't regret it.

3 hours ago, 12string said:

I put an E-trailer hitch on the Toyota, it bolted right up. Running a wire from the battery to the light control took the most time. Man I would not want to be a car mechanic these days, there is no room to work on any thing.