Jump to content

So thong bikinis..in our prairie city?


shootingstar
 Share

Recommended Posts

I feel old...I don't get the thong bikini thing at all...not in our prairie city. So some women are wearing it by the river shoreline. It must elevated hormone time.  I didn't realize until this year how this fashion phenomena finally infiltrated in our region, in the past few years...from probably Brazil, certain European countries, etc.

I'm not a prude.  But it has been um...30 yrs. since I wore a bikini.  I really don't get the thong thing at all. Seems so uncomfortable in public but then "sexy" fashion is often not comfortable for women. 

(I'm not a beach person since I get so much sun anyway from cycling long routes. And I can't swim so I don't know beach fashion trends.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I didn't realize until this year how this fashion phenomena finally infiltrated in our region, in the past few years...from probably Brazil, certain European countries, etc.

This is why we keep RG ( @Lard Bag ) around!  He is always ready to alert us to fashion trends like thong bikinis. 

FTR - a photo or two of your local thong bikini scene will help us to be quick to verify if the trend is truly on point or not.

  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lard Bag said:

How is it even possible to not know how to swim?  You plop yourself in water and you move your arms and legs until you figure propulsion out.  Have you not been in a pool, lake, or ocean before?

It is a fairly common thing.  Oddly, I know one woman in her 40s who claims not to know how to swim nor ride a bicycle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Razors Edge said:

This is why we keep RG ( @Lard Bag ) around!  He is always ready to alert us to fashion trends like thong bikinis. 

FTR - a photo or two of your local thong bikini scene will help us to be quick to verify if the trend is truly on point or not.

The quarrelsome ex only wore thong underwear, she said it was way more comfortable and the sightlines were better.  She was in fashion, so you have to respect that opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is a fairly common thing.  Oddly, I know one woman in her 40s who claims not to know how to swim nor ride a bicycle.

Yea....and rest of my siblings don't know how to swim either.  Several have tried to take lessons as adults on their own, but keep on sinking. So gave up.

Swimming lessons cost money...at least when I grew up. And we were too poor for paid lessons.  I've been approached by various women over the years...who are envious of me:  they wish they had learned to bike earlier in life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I don't  swim either :P I "know how"..but had a scary experience as a kid..so I tend to panic...pools are full of chemicals and I tend to have skin issues..so I avoid pools.

Well, I like the whirlpool for sore muscles. One wears a swimsuit for that. (I hate saunas.)

When we went bike touring in Hawai'i, I had no interest lying out in sun-beach.  I headed for a palm tree.  I got alot of sun cycling around. I actually don't need terrific tan...my skin naturally tans well / or even without sun tan, it is slightly golden anyway. I can wear short sleeves in dead of winter at work and still looks healthy.  I compare against dearie's skin.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Yea....and rest of my siblings don't know how to swim either.  Several have tried to take lessons as adults on their own, but keep on sinking. So gave up.

Swimming lessons cost money...at least when I grew up. And we were too poor for paid lessons.

As an adult - in non-COVID times - simply go to the local pool (where it is shallow enough to stand) and learn a simple doggie paddle, followed by a just as simple but more graceful breaststroke, followed by a deadman float and/or floating on your back.

If no fear of water, swimming is easy peasy in a pool were all you have to do is put your feet under you if get worried.  Well worth the investment of some time to learn - at any age.

Quote

When we went bike touring in Hawai'i, I had no interest lying out in sun-beach.  I headed for a palm tree.

I bring a large beach umbrella and SPF 50 when headed to the beach, so I 100% agree with the "no interest in lying in the sun" part.  I love the beach, but hate sunburn and skin cancer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, shootingstar said:

Swimming lessons cost money...at least when I grew up. And we were too poor for paid lessons.

My siblings and I did not have lessons as children. We jumped into the water and copied what the kids who had lessons were doing. My mom could send all seven of us to the swimming pool for the day for .25 each with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, and we'd have fun, stay out of her hair, and get so tired out we'd fall asleep after dinner. 

That said, my high school required a year of swimming class as part of 4-years of required physical education. So, in high school I received some instruction to refine what I had copied the other kids doing. 

I love to swim! I keep copying what the good swimmers do, and I get better myself. I had planned to help #2 son's Special Olympics swim team this summer, but the pools are closed.

I prefer a one-piece suit to a bikini for swimming. But for just messing around near the water, I have a two-piece suit. Neither have high-cut leg openings. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Miss Ida Hart said:

My siblings and I did not have lessons as children. We jumped into the water and copied what the kids who had lessons were doing. My mom could send all seven of us to the swimming pool for the day for .25 each with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, and we'd have fun, stay out of her hair, and get so tired out we'd fall asleep after dinner. 

That said, my high school required a year of swimming class as part of 4-years of required physical education. So, in high school I received some instruction to refine what I had copied the other kids doing. 

I love to swim! I keep copying what the good swimmers do, and I get better myself. I had planned to help #2 son's Special Olympics swim team this summer, but the pools are closed.

I prefer a one-piece suit to a bikini for swimming. But for just messing around near the water, I have a two-piece suit. Neither have high-cut leg openings. 

My non-swimming sisters, made sure their children took swimming lessons.  So all my 7 nieces and nephews know how to swim. 1 nephew swam competively in regional swim meets for a few years. He's now the father of the baby son with brain cancer who died recently.

In gr. 5, there waa mandatory swimming lessons for about 6 wks.  I only managed to float forward.  I couldn't float on my back without panicking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a guy who is at the beach weekly I can honestly report that thong bikinis have not returned to SoCal.  They were a thing in the early 90’s, you see them sometimes (rarely really)  but most of the young ladies that can pull off a thong don’t wear them.   

I can’t imagine not being able to swim.  I grew up in the ocean and had my kids in the water almost from birth.  My son was comfortable in water without any flotation assistance at about a year.  He took to water like a little brown frog.

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Miss Ida Hart said:

My siblings and I did not have lessons as children. We jumped into the water and copied what the kids who had lessons were doing. My mom could send all seven of us to the swimming pool for the day for .25 each with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, and we'd have fun, stay out of her hair, and get so tired out we'd fall asleep after dinner. 

That said, my high school required a year of swimming class as part of 4-years of required physical education. So, in high school I received some instruction to refine what I had copied the other kids doing. 

I love to swim! I keep copying what the good swimmers do, and I get better myself. I had planned to help #2 son's Special Olympics swim team this summer, but the pools are closed.

I prefer a one-piece suit to a bikini for swimming. But for just messing around near the water, I have a two-piece suit. Neither have high-cut leg openings. 

My mom did that to my brother & I.  Pack a lunch & drop us off at the beach, pick you up at 4.  That was heaven for us!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

In gr. 5, there waa mandatory swimming lessons for about 6 wks.  I only managed to float forward.  I couldn't float on my back without panicking.

That's sort of the point.  Almost EVERYONE can swim.  Your adult self is not the same as you grade 5 self, and honestly, it is only a psychological barrier right now.  No, you don't have to learn to swim, but you definitely can learn to swim.  Even if it is just in the shallow end of the pool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

My non-swimming sisters, made sure their children took swimming lessons.  So all my 7 nieces and nephews know how to swim. 1 nephew swam competively in regional swim meets for a few years. He's now the father of the baby son with brain cancer who died recently.

The girls swim team at my school wear high-cut, one-piece Speedo competition suits. Their confidence is inspiring. 

The boys wear tiny men's Speedo suits. I'm not sure how they keep them from falling down when they dive into the water. A drawstring doesn't seem like enough to hold the suit in place. I think the boys should wear one-piece competition suits, too.

Here's a photo for you guys.

 

men's swimming suit.jpg

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My mom did that to my brother & I.  Pack a lunch & drop us off at the beach, pick you up at 4.  That was heaven for us!

That would not go over well in my whole family.... a first cousin drowned at 18 yrs. They lived in San Franscico.  I understood he was an ok swimmer. I'm not sure about the circumstances that led to his death.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thong story...

So Memorial Day 1990 something (pre kids so maybe 90-92) my brother, cousins and I went for a ride at the beach.  We were cruising along the boardwalk and we come upon 2 gorgeous young ladies wearing thong bikinis walking the same direction we are.  I’m last rider so as my brother passes he takes a long look, cousin #1 slows & takes a long look, cousin #2 is already taking a long look and plows into the rear wheel of his brother and dumps it right in front of thong girls!  

Cousin #2 is totally embarrassed, thong girls are giggling and since I had to stop had quiet the view!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

From a guy who is at the beach weekly I can honestly report that thong bikinis have not returned to SoCal.  They were a thing in the early 90’s, you see them sometimes (rarely really)  but most of the young ladies that can pull off a thong don’t wear them.   

I mean this quite seriously:  my freakin' prairie city is behind the times.  We don't invent trends for others to copy....it copies other trends...um a decade later maybe.  It's noticeable for cycling as transportation, urban design....the list is too long. And these trends are often brought by people relocating to work in our prairie city. 

This is what I mean...  I look a society photos of local women from rich families at fundraising parties:  seriously that's high fashion?? So maybe the thong swim bottom is part of it all. .....old.  High fashion for the rich in VAncouver and Toronto is very different...and classier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

That would not go over well in my whole family.... a first cousin drowned at 18 yrs. They lived in San Franscico.  I understood he was an ok swimmer. I'm not sure about the circumstances that led to his death.

Well we were surfing almost as long as we were walking so my mom was good with it.  I can’t see any parents doing that now... Shoot I didn’t do it but I was usually out in the water with them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Miss Ida Hart said:

My siblings and I did not have lessons as children. We jumped into the water and copied what the kids who had lessons were doing.

This, exactly.  Like I said, get in water and find out what works by moving body parts rapidly.  Once you eliminate things that don't work, you can swim.

There is no human alive who is not disabled who cannot learn to swim and tread water.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I can wear short sleeves in dead of winter at work and still looks healthy.  I compare against dearie's skin.

Interesting choice of words. Not that it’s an incorrect statement but many people associate tan skin with health?  Being of color as well we don’t focus on tanning but my wife and her family would lie out in the sun & tan as youths.  They seem to think being tan looks better.  We were always outside so got dark but we didn’t just lie out & work on a tan either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Interesting choice of words. Not that it’s an incorrect statement but many people associate tan skin with health?  Being of color as well we don’t focus on tanning but my wife and her family would lie out in the sun & tan as youths.  They seem to think being tan looks better.  We were always outside so got dark but we didn’t just lie out & work on a tan either.

All us albino whiteys look better with a tan, zero question about it.   As far as laying out in the sun, I have not interest in it, and I am not particulary enamored with the beach unless I am playing in the water. 

I am going to get the sunsleeves next year and use sunscreen on the face if I will be out in the sun long and I will be good to go.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lard Bag said:

All us albino whiteys look better with a tan, zero question about it.   As far as laying out in the sun, I have not interest in it, and I am not particulary enamored with the beach unless I am playing in the water. 

I am going to get the sunsleeves next year and use sunscreen on the face if I will be out in the sun long and I will be good to go.

Yeah I guess.  Fair skin doesn’t bother me. I dated someone before my wife who had such fair skin it was almost translucent.  Like no different between arms & parts that got no sun?  She was blond, with blue eyes and had the fairest skin I ever saw. She just didn’t tan.

Her lack of skin color didn’t bother me one bit.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We pretty much lived at the pool as kids.  Early morning practice, hang out, walk or bike home for lunch, afternoon practice. often mom & dad would come after work with dinner.

Back then the girls didn't wear those high cut suits, but the guys wore speedos.  I feel so cheap now.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our city gave swim lessons for a very small fee. I don't remember how much, but my parents were cheap so it had to be a small amount. I didn't enjoy jumping into the pool on chilly mornings, but I could swim. We moved to a small town nearby and they built a new pool about a year after we moved there. Once we got our chores done at home, or were done detasseling, we were at the pool. We got our money's worth out of the season pass! Mid to late 70's. The girls wore hip-hugger bikinis with string ties. 

We have a large population of Latinx in our city. There seems to be far more body positivity from that culture. Definitely more cheek and cleavage than was the norm before. Not sure if I would say it was thong bottom though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...