Made a offer on a new home today

Dottleshead

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

I like the idea of selling, living in with her mom, have the real estate market crash, and then buying with the money sold from our house.  Honest to God that was the plan.  I still like that plan.  Sell high and buy low.  But then we saw the house.  And the neighborhood.  And rapidly shrinking inventory.  And trying to play the market is get wrenching, arguably foolish, and not for the weak of heart.  One needs a place to live and the thought of being trapped at her mothers indefinitely lit a much under my ass.

As long as I still have my job, none of it matters 'either way'.

My best wishes for the sale of your house. Sounds exciting. I don't know Ferndale. What is the economic base of the town?

And you know that the Amtrack train thru Bellingham also goes straight into downtown Vancouver (well, hop onto the Skytrain across the road) and only 1-2 stops, depending where you want to start to visit.  

2 minutes ago, Lard Bag said:

Why didn't you just buy DH's house?

He can still back out and lose his deposit!

And, it was recommended he buy a camper to use while waiting for the new place. He could take that down to DH's new lot and serve as the camp host while her new place is built.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

38 minutes ago, smudge said:

Ok, so was the offer accepted??

Great question.  They've got 45 minutes to get back to me.  Now I'm thinking EFF this.  I like my original idea of selling and moving in with her mother.  I'd like to sell, and bank the profit and sit back and wait to pick up places for like $200,000 less. But there are a lot of unknowns in that -- and once you find a place -- it gets under your skin.I think the economy is a house of cards at the moment.  When these housing subsidies end -- shit gonna hit the fan.

Thanks for asking, Smudge!!

• Hugs 1

So the offer was accepted. 

Real estate agent got back to me with about 5 minutes to spare.  I guess the builder was slow responding.  Anyway, I have 48 to wire the escrow money over and that'll hold it until the December 1st.  If I wish to back out for my own reasons, I'll lose the $3000.  I guess it'll now depend on how the economy is going, how much I sale my house for, what the policies of the government are, what the hell the overall economy is doing, etc.  It's nice to I have it reserved.  Likewise, it's nice to know we have a parachute chord to pull if we need it. It just might come down to a game time decision.

Also talked to my boss.  He thinks it's a great idea to sell and bank the money and live with my mother-in-law (for as long as I can handle it he said).  I don't think he was being foreboding -- I just think he was talking common sense.  He said if it were him, he wouldn't buy until next year.  Well, damn.  That was my plan all along until I found this home.

Anyway, the whole thing is just bizarre.  I don't know if I should be elated or have @Kzoo smack me over the head for being a lout when maybe I could get a similar place in 6-9 months for $200,000 less.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'll bet you bastards didn't know that.  Lorretta Lynn got her start here.

http://northwestprimetime.com/news/2015/aug/29/loretta-lynn-how-country-superstar-got-her-start-w/

Yes, I did and here is part of the reason why. Remember we listen to Classic Country on most Sunday mornings.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

What?!  Coal should be from wv or pa or somewhere’s!

Washington state has enough here to be a self-serving economy.  Much like California -- a lot of diversity.  The western part of the state -- particularly around Puget Sound -- is where the majority of the population is and provides the main reason why most folks here are environmentalists -- because it's an awesome environment worth saving.   But almost everywhere else in the state is conservative.  Basically just follow the farming communities -- which is most of the rest of the state..

42 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The way I understand this...  it was not a subsidy.   From what I've read about mortgage forbearance it's not about skipping a payment forever.  It's a stop paying now and you pay later plan.  And you needed to apply to do this, you couldn't just stop paying.  The pay later part;  maybe pay over time, or pay it ALL back when the clock runs out, which could be soon.  It depends on the bank loan, who owns the debt, etc... 

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

When these housing subsidies end -- shit gonna hit the fan.

So when people are expected to pay back their skipped mortgage payments...  many may need to pay ALL they skipped at once.   The shit will indeed hit the fan...  

• Awesome 2

Just now, Bikeguy said:

The way I understand this...  it was not a subsidy.   From what I've read about mortgage forbearance it's not about skipping a payment forever.  It's a stop paying now and you pay later plan.  And you needed to apply to do this, you couldn't just stop paying.  The pay later part;  maybe pay over time, or pay it ALL back when the clock runs out, which could be soon.  It depends on the bank loan, who owns the dept, etc... 

So when people are expected to pay back their skipped mortgage payments...  many may need to pay ALL they skipped at once.   The shit will indeed hit the fan...  

I like you Bikeguy.  You're one of my favorite posters.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

If nothing else, see what you could get for the new place. Who knows, the market just might increase the value of the new house enough to make a nice profit on selling it without ever having to move to it.

It's a Green Home so it's going to hold it's value.  The good thing about it is we got the last one of the smaller sizes -- obviously which have sold out.  Plenty of other bigger green homes are being built but not the smaller 'couple' size.  So I'm not going to dismiss this idea.  I was worried that I may have to turn around and sell it if I lost my job but then I found out we got the last one.  Still, i think the tax law says you can only sell a single home once every two years or something or else you get taxed on the profit. My wife does our taxes so she'd know better but I think that's true.  So if we sell this place, we get to keep all profit free and clear.  If we then turned around and sold the new home and we were lucky to profit -- then we have to pay tax on that.  Still it's a profit, right??

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I hope this all works out for you Dottles. I worry that you are spending money way faster than you are making it. Good luck with selling your house at a profit. It’s good that you have a place to live if you have to.

Thank you for your concern.  I sometimes worry about that too.  Really though it's just the roof that has set me back-- which would have had to be replaced whether I stay here or not.  I know for a fact I'm going to see a big profit when I sell but having to replace that roof really hurt.  I mean that was 15K that I was hoping to pocket.  But with the new roof, I'm hoping that drives a higher value.  I"m hearing/reading it will.  So even if I get half of it back -- I'll be happy.  Once this house sells I will hit the reset button.  

• Hugs 1

12 hours ago, Dottles said:

If I wish to back out for my own reasons, I'll lose the $3000. 

At least it is a small deposit and if your situation changes, not one to keep you up at night worrying.

Likewise, if housing construction is like it was in the lead-up to another housing bubble (~1999-2000), your new place won't be delivered anywhere near the "due" date, so you'll have time into 2021 to see how things look and if a $3k hit is preferable to a $100k-$200k market drop. 

• Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

At least it is a small deposit and if your situation changes, not one to keep you up at night worrying.

Likewise, if housing construction is like it was in the lead-up to another housing bubble (~1999-2000), your new place won't be delivered anywhere near the "due" date, so you'll have time into 2021 to see how things look and if a $3k hit is preferable to a $100k-$200k market drop. 

Thanks! 

That was/is my thinking.  This escrow payment ensures we can get the place we want if we indeed want it but give us a parachute if we need it.  Also, with this covid stuff, there's a very good chance they're going to shut down construction again so I think there may be delays anyway.  In fact, I sort of hope it happens so I have time to watch the market longer as well and save more cash staying at her mothers.  Let's just hope I don't take my own life first.

• Haha 1

Now it's time to sell.  Here' the deal with my neighborhood and I would not call it affluent.  Check out the rent prices for those wondering why I own.  The entire market is insane and I tire of it. According to this, I'm in the top 40% of all neighborhoods and I suspect I'll do better selling than the median -- but not by much.  What I need is one of you rich bastards to come out and buy me out for an extra $50K.  Really.  I'm not asking for much.  Just $50K more than selling price.  I'll toss in an over-engineered shed.

Cavalero Corner median real estate price is $447,023, which is more expensive than 62.0% of the neighborhoods in Washington and 79.9% of the neighborhoods in the U.S.

The average rental price in Cavalero Corner is currently $2,241, based on NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis. The average rental cost in this neighborhood is higher than 68.1% of the neighborhoods in Washington.

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

I'm in the top 40% of all neighborhoods and I suspect I'll do better selling than the median -

So add at least $100K (or more) to your asking price.   Maybe... you will sell it for the higher price.   Then you will have more money for the new home.

7 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

So add at least $100K (or more) to your asking price.   Maybe... you will sell it for the higher price.   Then you will have more money for the new home.

Last time I overrode a seller's agent by ten thousand dollars, I got NO bites.  They dropped it down to their recommended listing price -- and whaddya know?  I've learned my lesson.  I might ask for another $5 grand but that's it.

But $100,000 would be rad.

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Nothing ventured... nothing gained.   All they can say is your crazy...  Your new roof cost more than that extra 5K you are willing to ask for....  just saying... 

The deal I'm hearing is -- he's going to ask slightly more for the new roof -- and he thinks because it has a new roof that i may garner multiple offers.  That means bidding war.  If that's so, the town next to me sold a house $80k over the listing price and the dude paid in cash.  So it's possible.  I just never go into these things like it's going to happen.  

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The deal I'm hearing is -- he's going to ask slightly more for the new roof -- and he thinks because it has a new roof that i may garner multiple offers.  That means bidding war.  If that's so, the town next to me sold a house $80k over the listing price and the dude paid in cash.  So it's possible.  I just never go into these things like it's going to happen.  

If you have a lack of inventory near you, this could easily happen.