My insurance just took a big jump

maddmaxx

Both home and Auto from the Hartford just jumped up dramatically.  This in spite of lower annual miles than ever on both cars.  I have to wonder how much the broken pipe disaster of last year plays into this.  I'm looking at new companies now.  I won't put up with what I considered poor performance at higher prices.

Dr Mick, what insurance company underwrote your home insurance?

My auto went down $75 because Michigan laws changed regarding some bullshit. I use AIG for home & auto. AAA raped me w/o lube on car insurance so I told them to take a flying leap. State farm was high on auto, but cheaper than AAA on home. But now everything is w/ AIG.

State Farm, here. I have not had to file too many claims, but they have been great when I do. They have even taken the lead on helping when I had a claim against another insured. They did piss me off a bit with the Miata debacle last fall, but once the office manager got involved, it all got much better. We had to file a claim for roof damage this year. One of the roofers involved in the process said it's likely our home rate will go down due to the quality of new shingles.  Their car/home bundle rates are pretty good. 

I just got off the phone with a highly rated local agent here in town.  She represents no one company.  It was the most comprehensive insurance interview I've ever been involved in.  I did mention to her my dissatisfaction with the results of last years kitchen disaster where the insurance company left most of the work up to me to provide for but set so many conditions that contractors were ducking the job.  I said I wanted a company that would tell me to step back while they sent in people to take care of everything.  I mentioned Dr. Micks fire and she asked what company.  I said State Farm and she said she would keep that in mind.  She agreed that good companies should do just that.  She was a bit shocked at the low milage on my cars.  Hopefully I well hear good news from her by the end of the week and I can give the Hartford via AARP my goodbys.

It's not all about the rates.  It's about the service.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Both home and Auto from the Hartford just jumped up dramatically.  This in spite of lower annual miles than ever on both cars.  I have to wonder how much the broken pipe disaster of last year plays into this.  I'm looking at new companies now.  I won't put up with what I considered poor performance at higher prices.

Dr Mick, what insurance company underwrote your home insurance?

State Farm, and I love it, home and auto.

My combined home ($230K) and car (2013 base Honda Fit, $9600 book value) insurance was $217.62/month since July 2019, which my relatives working in insurance said was probably $25/month higher than I needed to pay.  Of course, after the way I've been treated by State Farm, I wasn't about to switch as I detail in the history below.

Since I can have my insurance automatically taken from my checking account monthly with no extra charges, I do that instead of paying every 6 months as I used to do just to simplify keeping track of non-regular costs.

In June 2020, my regular monthly premium dropped from $217.62 to $215.97.  My July premium was reduced another $99.45, a one-time credit due to less driving, etc. due to the pandemic.  This is all after my March house fire, where State Farm arranged and contracted the board-up/clean up guy DURING the fire while I was on the phone, cut me a $4000 check the next day ("Is that enough?") against my eventual damaged property claims and in a week had me in a luxury apartment they furnished and paid for for up to two years.  I stayed with my brother and then sister while the apartment was arranged - I think they'd have done something temporary if I needed it - the Red Cross also offered the same and gave me a $225 debit card (I didn't need the money, so I didn't use it) the night of the fire and arranged and paid for a new set of prescriptions for me.

I also had a house fire in 2005 caused by a defective charger on a laptop's cord, a cracked windshield due to a stone flipped up by someone's tires while I was driving, a 1996 Ford Taurus totaled while parked with a $900 book value on 12/31/12 that State Farm paid me $2992 because of "dealer markup, fees, etc," two times when I was stopped in my car and lightly run into from behind by pickup trucks and I had State Farm handle it for me instead of going directly myself to the other guy's insurance, then the Mar. 4, 2020 house fire.

When I noticed the crack in the windshield and the first time my car was whacked from behind, I drove directly to my State Farm agent's office and next-day repair was quickly arranged for the windshield and estimate/repair setups and car rental were quickly arranged for the accident, which State Farm and my deductible were eventually repaid by the other guy's insurance.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

My auto went down $75 because Michigan laws changed regarding some bullshit. I use AIG for home & auto. AAA raped me w/o lube on car insurance so I told them to take a flying leap. State farm was high on auto, but cheaper than AAA on home. But now everything is w/ AIG.

Michigan HAD the highest insurance rates in the nation because of an 'Unlimited' coverage requirement for PIP and uninsured motorists.  Because if the changes I was able to drop the PIP coverage to nothing because my health insurance (now Medicare but also Blue Cross) is primary and lower Bodily Injury to a reasonable amount.  I will be saving just over $1,000 per year.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I switched to Erie from USAA about 20 years ago. No complaints with either.

I had Erie when I lived in PA.  Growing up we had a family friend that was an executive at Erie Insurance.  His kids were a**holes just like him but his wife was a hoot.  I think it was a requirement that we had Erie Insurance.  When I moved to Michigan I had to change companies.

I just got a letter from Prudential today.  Congratulations, my Whole life Insurance policy is now paid in  full, I can stop paying the premiums.

I haven't paid premiums in at least 20 years.  Probably more.  Made a few payments during the 2008 crash because the market crashed, that's it.  Let the policy pay itself.  And, I got a pile of stock when they demutualized.  I did OK.