Screen names.

donkpow

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Real names required..................rrrriiiight.

I feel like most of my younger family members use the first name and their middle name only.  So instead of  "Alice Jones", you have "Alice Lisa", and they find you or you know them well enough to find them by their middle name.

I get it since it separates "real world" from "friends & family", so an employer doing a FB, Twitter, or Instagram search doesn't find their college spring break stuff, etc..

There are clever names for various things.  My last pleasure boat, before gasoline prices rose to make each day on the Bay cost $200 - $400, was named the "Reel Busy" - and I found that on a list of pleasure boat names.

Similarly, there are very clever fantasy football team names like, "Country Road, Take Mahomes," "Lamar the Merrier!." and my team from several years back, "Wacco for Flacco."

My screen names over the years tend to be less creative and more a description of who I am.  On stock market discussion sites, I'm often listed as "PE Student" - where, in this case, PE shows I consider the Price/Earnings ratio an important tool in selecting a stock.

When I spend two weeks in China in 2001, one of the tee-shirts I took with me featured "Lighthouses of the Chesapeake."  I was amazed at how many Chinese - who had worked on ships and travelers from other countries who had visited Washington, D.C. walked up to me and commented about having been to the area.

So that is what was behind MickinMD.  When I play online, rated chess, it quickly identifies where I am - along with the American Flag listed with my screen name - to people I play from France, Egypt, India, Russia, or even strange, backward places like Alabama.  It also gives a big hint of my favorite teams on online sports sites.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I feel like most of my younger family members use the first name and their middle name only.  So instead of  "Alice Jones", you have "Alice Lisa", and they find you or you know them well enough to find them by their middle name.

I get it since it separates "real world" from "friends & family", so an employer doing a FB, Twitter, or Instagram search doesn't find their college spring break stuff, etc..

Lots of real life stalking and harassment issues, especially for younger women. Not sharing the last name give them a degree of separation 

• Heart 1