Jump to content

Had my hearing checked at work yesterday


bikeman564™
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

Annually one of them hearing trucks shows up to test people's hearing. Mainly its for the shop peeps, but I get mine if I want. I hear better now than my base line which was tested in 2017 :)

That makes NO sense.  I definitely drop off at 16kHz!  But I'm getting old.  I remember speaker and amp frequency with a range of 20Hz-20kHz was always important, but none of us can hear that darn high range!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That makes NO sense.  I definitely drop off at 16kHz!  But I'm getting old.  I remember speaker and amp frequency with a range of 20Hz-20kHz was always important, but none of us can hear that darn high range!

 

I used to be able to hear dog whistles. In high school physics class, we had a tone generator to measure sound waves. We started at the low frequencies and kept going up. 1 by 1 the guys dropped out and I was still there. Then all the girls dropped out and I could still hear. Teacher even made me face away so I couldn't see when he was turning it on. I finally couldn't hear it at 19khz. Mr Wilhelm was curious and checked the back of the speaker for specs. The speakers were only rated to 18khz! In my record store days, I proved to a guy there was a dog whistle at the end of the Beatles "Sgt Pepper" album. Similar thing. I turned my back to the stereo system and he set the cassette deck to record. The VU meters jumped just as I said there it is.  Can't do that anymore...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, groupw said:

I used to be able to hear dog whistles. In high school physics class, we had a tone generator to measure sound waves. We started at the low frequencies and kept going up. 1 by 1 the guys dropped out and I was still there. Then all the girls dropped out and I could still hear. Teacher even made me face away so I couldn't see when he was turning it on. I finally couldn't hear it at 19khz. Mr Wilhelm was curious and checked the back of the speaker for specs. The speakers were only rated to 18khz! In my record store days, I proved to a guy there was a dog whistle at the end of the Beatles "Sgt Pepper" album. Similar thing. I turned my back to the stereo system and he set the cassette deck to record. The VU meters jumped just as I said there it is.  Can't do that anymore...

I don't know how accurate this one is but I definitely am not hearing much below 100 Hz and then start trailing off at 12k-14k.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That makes NO sense.  I definitely drop off at 16kHz!  But I'm getting old.  I remember speaker and amp frequency with a range of 20Hz-20kHz was always important, but none of us can hear that darn high range!

 

No shit. I think the test if flawed. The tones are very quiet, sometimes I'm not sure if I hear them or not :wacko: The I may of missed some of the ones from last time...who knows. Also, there are two booths in the truck. Despite both booths being "sound proof", yeah ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

The tones are very quiet, sometimes I'm not sure if I hear them or not

I wonder how much "volume" plays into it as well.  It's definitely tough to isolate if you are hearing something or just think you are hearing something at the top and bottom of the range.  Probably need a longer pattern where you raise and lower your hand as a specific level plays for a while, otherwise, I'm just almost guessing at some points.  Realistically, I'm thinking there is a "key range" for hearing and they really only start caring when you are tripping those thresholds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Annually one of them hearing trucks shows up to test people's hearing. Mainly its for the shop peeps, but I get mine if I want. I hear better now than my base line which was tested in 2017 :)

Um, actually, it's HR that brings those trucks around to see who gets caught leering at the chick in the truck.

And you should probably get your hearing checked.  Maybe schedule it during your suspension for failing the other test

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am borderline in need of a hearing aid and opted to get a pair - the ones less than 1/2" long that fit mostly inside the ear, since insurance paid for most of an excellent pair with Bluetooth settings for forward direction, phone, concerts, etc.

But I haven't felt the need to wear them for a couple years and they went up in my house fire. I have noticed that I'll ask people to turn up the TV sound one or two clicks above where they normally listen. But I have no trouble in normal conversations. I'll get new tests and a new pair after pandemic things settle down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...