The Onion Recall :(

Razors Edge

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Red onions, meh

Thankfully, it was not Vidalia.

Although red onions distributed in the U.S. and Canada by California onion grower and packer Thomson International seem to be the culprit, the company says it has recalled all onions—red, white, yellow, and sweet—because of the possibility of cross contamination.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Although red onions distributed in the U.S. and Canada by California onion grower and packer Thomson International seem to be the culprit, the company says it has recalled all onions—red, white, yellow, and sweet—because of the possibility of cross contamination.

Fuck.

I tend to eat those raw on burritos and salsa

Not sure if you guys are following a Covid break out in the CA Central Valley which is where these onions come from.  These farm workers are getting hit hard as they really are not properly social distancing and the produce growers aren’t really taking necessary steps to prevent break outs.  Many of them are probably illegal immigrants and are leery of sealing help for fear of deportation.

Anyway Covid is taking off within our farm workers and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the prices of CA grown produce increase soon.

I do red onions when it will dress up a salad or other dish at a group gathering.

Otherwise it's Vidalia or similar sweet onion.  Tonight I have the 2nd half of last night's dinner: I chopped-up, pan-fried, then added about 3/4 of a medium sized sweet onion to Kraft Creamy Mac & Cheese to which I also added a handful of shredded Cheddar.  Yum - went great with juicy, baked chicken thighs (400° for 40 min. to ensure crispy skin) seasoned with Weber BBQ rub and with stewed tomatoes.