Where Do You Stand?

Razors Edge

...on banana peels and apple cores (and chewed gum) disposal?

Pop quiz: You’re biking with a friend, zipping along a semi-rural road, when your buddy pulls a banana from his jersey, peels it with his teeth, and flings the skin into the ditch. What do you say?

a. “Dude! That’s littering.”
b. “Dude! What the fuck?”   <- definitely @Dirtyhip
c. Nothing, because I don’t want to make waves.
d. Nothing, because I don’t see the problem.

• Heart 2

I think it is biodegradable, but please place it neatly under a bush.  I don't think that bio trash needs to be in the open where people see it.  Toss the apple underneath a bush or large plant.  In three days, it will just look like a dried leaf, and the plant will be happy for the fertilizer.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I think it is biodegradable, but please place it neatly under a bush.  I don't think that bio trash needs to be in the open where people see it.  Toss the apple underneath a bush or large plant.  In three days, it will just look like a dried leaf, and the plant will be happy for the fertilizer.

Yeah, I'm guilty of just chucking it as far into the woods as I can (usually not far as a branch blocks it).

Seems we're doing it wrong :(

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, I'm guilty of just chucking it as far into the woods as I can (usually not far as a branch blocks it).

Seems we're doing it wrong :(

If you toss these items into a wooded area that is dense and not directly on trail, that sounds perfect.  Like tossing the banana peel out of sight, vs dropping it right on the trail.  I think that the compost is good, but can be unsightly for the nest user, if it is not out of sight.

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

If you toss these items into a wooded area that is dense and not directly on trail, that sounds perfect.  Like tossing the banana peel out of sight, vs dropping it right on the trail.  I think that the compost is good, but can be unsightly for the nest user, if it is not out of sight.

:frantics:

You're destroying the WORLD!!!!

Clearly you didn't read the article I linked to.

Carry it in carry it out. I also hate seeing spent CO2 & inner tubes on the side of the road. 

I generally don’t ride with fresh fruit but all wrappers either go back in my jersey pocket or if sticky/gooey I tuck them in the Lycra on the outer part of my thigh.  That way the other contents of my jersey pockets don’t get sticky.

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Carry it in carry it out. I also hate seeing spent CO2 & inner tubes on the side of the road. 

I generally don’t ride with fresh fruit but all wrappers either go back in my jersey pocket or if sticky/gooey I tuck them in the Lycra on the outer part of my thigh.  That way the other contents of my jersey pockets don’t get sticky.

I remain unsold on the benefits of putting organic waste into landfills.  I imagine DH has a mulch pile of some kind, and CA might do some fancy trash remediation, but out here in VA, whatever I put in my trash is likely to serve no part in a healthy "circle of life" :(

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I remain unsold on the benefits of putting organic waste into landfills.  I imagine DH has a mulch pile of some kind, and CA might do some fancy trash remediation, but out here in VA, whatever I put in my trash is likely to serve no part in a healthy "circle of life" :(

I don't compost, it is a gross smell waste of time here in NYC.  Yecchh.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

The seeds have arsenic.  I might pull the seeds out, and the stem off.

Additionally, red delicious are disgusting

You spit the seeds and stem, and yes, red delicious are bottom of the pack.  Too many better options. 

But it works for ALL apples, and no worries about eating a few seeds either (but spitting them is funner).  On the plus side, apple seeds, like most seeds, can travel undigested fairly easily through our bodies. 

2 minutes ago, Further said:

Garbage goes to the dump, compostables go back to the earth, preferably inconspicuously

And, no, I didn't read the article 

Just now, jsharr said:

Leave No Trace

I never carry a poop shovel when hiking, but maybe I need a compostables shovel and can bury my banana peels, apple cores, and chewed gum!

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I never carry a poop shovel when hiking, but maybe I need a compostables shovel and can bury my banana peels, apple cores, and chewed gum!

How long do you think it takes a banana peel to decompose?  Serious question, no googling.

7 minutes ago, Dickbag with Lard said:

The correct answer is "Who gives a shit?".

Incorrect.  If every Dickbag wiht Lard left a banana peel at the foot of mount rushmore, it would get disgusting really really quick.

Take only picutres, leave only footprints and try not to do that last part.

Take rock stacking.  If every asswipe that went into some river made a stack of artsy balancing rocks, then we could decimate the breeding ground of all kinds of insects and reptiles and the results will rebound through the food chain.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

She left that banana on the pavement.  Of course it won't break down.  The worms need to reach it.

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

She left that banana on the pavement.  Of course it won't break down.  The worms need to reach it.

How much control do you have over where a piece of trash you toss out lands?  

Sure, it may compost in a month or two given great conditions, but just tossed out and left to rot, it can take up to two years for a banana peel to decompose.

And tossing something in a compost heap is drastically different than tossing it out at your campsite, which if chosen properly, may not be the best of fertile ground.  

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

How much control do you have over where a piece of trash you toss out lands?  

Sure, it may compost in a month or two given great conditions, but just tossed out and left to rot, it can take up to two years for a banana peel to decompose.

And tossing something in a compost heap is drastically different than tossing it out at your campsite, which if chosen properly, may not be the best of fertile ground.  

I don't toss things blindly, ever.   I place things, with purpose.  So, full control of where it is placed.

Usually, I tuck the peel under a plant or in deep trees.  

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You didn't read the fucking article either, did you?

I have read many and taken more than a few LNT and Outdoor Ethics courses.   It can take up to two years for a banana peel to decompose.   Under ideal conditions, like a compost heap, that can be cut to a month or two.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't toss things blindly, ever.   I place things, with purpose.  So, full control of where it is placed.

Usually, I tuck the peel under a plant or in deep trees.  

In the example given for this thread, it is flung blindly by a rider zipping along on his bike.  My answer was based off that.

And in your example, tucked away in the dark, it may take much longer to decompose than you imagine.

14 minutes ago, jsharr said:

In the example given for this thread, it is flung blindly by a rider zipping along on his bike.  My answer was based off that.

And in your example, tucked away in the dark, it may take much longer to decompose than you imagine.

You guys should just get a room already.