Banana experiment

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, Dickbag with Lard said:

I like this experiment.  

Can you take one banana and drop it on the ground at the new property, one on the existing property, and one for the dogs and see how long they take to decompose?

And perfect for a parent looking to teach their young one about the natural world!

I bet NYC is challenging since if left outdoors, a rat will grab it! 

48 minutes ago, Dickbag with Lard said:

I like this experiment.  

Can you take one banana and drop it on the ground at the new property, one on the existing property, and one for the dogs and see how long they take to decompose?

I am not at the property, but I will take some peels over there, and record the progress

39 minutes ago, Further said:

So what is 'decomposed'

I'm good with a banana peel looking like a dead leaf, if it has to turn into fine grained compost it is going to take longer. 

I am going to look for it all broken down and shriveled.  To me, this food waste thing is a non-issue, if you put things out of sight.  

Don't forget the animal element.  Why should we deprive the squirrels of a banana peel or a apple core?

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

How much time do you have? Take a foil gu pack and see how long it takes to break down.

I'll one-up you

Take a Twinkie and leave it on top of a garbage dump and see how long it takes to break down.

That Gu packet will be long gone and that Twinkie will just be dusty.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Someone did this experiment in the parking lot at planet fitness about 2 years ago..I just missed stepping on the slimy black peel when I got out of my car.

How far along do you think it was? A day? A week? A month? A year? 

You may have the answer, petite!!!!

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Dot, how close are you to retirement?  Will this new place be your retirement home? 

I'm 15 years away.  I'm hoping this will be the last place we'll be in before retiring, yes.  But I suspect there MAY be another move. We're going to need some things to fall our way.  In the meantime, I remain flexible.

How long it takes for what?  To decompose?  The condition of the peel doesn't necessarily match what's going on inside especially when they're refrigerated to make them last longer.

I read somewhere that banana peels turn dark in the fridge faster than the inside goes goey.  I took this picture of a more-than-90% good inside refrigerated banana after 21 days.. I threw it's brother away a few days later because it had turned too goey - though it would have made a good banana bread.  Also, since I don't usually go through several bananas fast, I try to buy greener-than-yellow bunches. and refrigerate them immediately. This one was fine. though just starting to get soft. as shown with strawberries, and blueberries (vacuum bagged and also 21 days old) to which was added cheerios, and milk.

20200729_135700.jpg.e02a869dd36bde1c3559fb4fefec9ab1.jpg 20200729_135957.jpg.24ad96741883777e3ac893def6cce1da.jpg

Anyway, I remember when fellow teenagers I knew were putting banana peels out in the sun to turn black and dry so they could smoke them and, hopefully, get high. It didn't work.

It was a national craze caused by Donovan's big hit song "Mellow Yellow" in 1967 that had the lines, "Electrical banana, is gonna be a sudden craze. Electrical banana, bound be the very next phase. They call me Mellow Yellow..."

Donovan said later that "Electrical Banana" meant the new ladies vibrators that were becoming a big thing in the 60's.  This video is a 2010 lip-sync of the 1967 hit:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I still don't think banana peels  in the woods constitutes littering.

Me either. Of course you don’t want to dump one right In the trail surface. Thoughtfully placed, I see them as beneficial for our soil. It would likely result in more top soil, which is being lost at a great rate.

• Heart 1