First world problem

maddmaxx

In a disaster my cellphone is only reliable in the early morning while all the others take a break from the book of faces.

The fire chief said he saw two power company trucks in town yesterday. They haven't even gotten around to putting cones around the downed wires on my street yet.

83%

I can still get on at the moment. Drove 20 miles one way this morning for coffee and bread. Going to make a run to the fire house next to refill our flushing water. It is strange out there. Some places look like nothing happened and others have big trees across roads and houses. It is like some giant walked across the land leaving destruction in its footsteps. 

I haven't ventured out since the storm.  A friend tried to drive into the office and there were a lot of local roads closed.  I expect the roads are mostly open now, but friends nearby who lost power are still without power.

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

In a disaster my cellphone is only reliable in the early morning while all the others take a break from the book of faces.

The fire chief said he saw two power company trucks in town yesterday. They haven't even gotten around to putting cones around the downed wires on my street yet.

83%

This actually sounds like it ISN'T a first world problem.  In fact, the third world is probably wondering if there is some "fourth world" they can let you compare your situation to.

Spoke to the local disaster head during the first water run. Our main cross country power feed (not as large as the big steel towers) is cut in several places. His honest impression is 3 more days. The reason is that new england is heavily over forrested and the trees are in many cases damaged be generations of gypsy moths.

This is our problem similar but not the same as california fire problems.

The power co.pany reports most outages in history here.  Very little property damage but the power grid is toast. Crews are currently working on "make safe" to clear linrs from areas with limited access for fire and medical.

Bye again.  Im off for more water and power bank charging

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Spoke to the local disaster head during the first water run. Our main cross country power feed (not as large as the big steel towers) is cut in several places. His honest impression is 3 more days. The reason is that new england is heavily over forrested and the trees are in many cases damaged be generations of gypsy moths.

This is our problem similar but not the same as california fire problems.

The power co.pany reports most outages in history here.  Very little property damage but the power grid is toast. Crews are currently working on "make safe" to clear linrs from areas with limited access for fire and medical.

Bye again.  Im off for more water and power bank charging

A good argument for burying power lines whenever possible.

Charged up a bit. Stocked with flushing water. Finally, after 2 hours burned through disfunctional xfinity help to a real person who agreed that having my cable cable wrappe around my power cable was a valid problem over and beyond the wide area trouble. Now i have a service ticket for sunday the 9th. If that prevents the power peeps from turning on my power i would study the going postal fad further..

We have cell towers down and took 4 min to get onto swf so my time here may be limited