Jump to content

Did you know that Hans Rey is still alive?


Randomguy
 Share

Recommended Posts

The first time I encountered something really off-camber like that, my brain just seized. I was riding practice laps on a race course and part of the course went across the face of a ski slope. I came out of the woods and saw it and just stopped because I didn't know what to do.

Then I figured out, you just ride it. :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dickbag with Lard said:

I puckered the entire video.  Yikes!

Yeah, that was a lot steeper than what I was talking about,and the consequences of screwing up are a lot higher but it was funny how my brain just couldn't deal with the horizon being tilted.

Your contact patch doesn't care, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Your contact patch doesn't care, though.

I know I would crash on something like that.

I didn't like the riding in Sedona, everything was too technical or just rocks/gravel/babyheads.  No swoop at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dickbag with Lard said:

I know I would crash on something like that.

Nah. Once I realized it was just in my head, it was easy.

Crazy steep, rocky stuff like HR is doing is just the same thing, with the bar being raised 10 times.

There's a place called The Vees here, where you ride perpendicular to a ravine. I can't tell you how many times I pulled up to that lip.....and noped out. Then one day, I said "fuck it", let go of the brakes and went in. You bomb down one side and up the other so fast you don't even have time to think. in :10 it was over and I was on the other side going ".....that's it?".

I like slow, technical stuff - as long as it's not death defying. There's a section of the road to Perdition the Link Trail where the trail empties out onto a road. I think in an effort to keep bikes out, they made the first section really, really narrow and twisty. Lots of trees, roots and pedal-eating rocks. To my way of thinking, though, they fucked up in reverse - it's the best part of the trail! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I really enjoy mountain biking for getting off the roads.  I don’t really care too much for really technical riding though.  White Line is definitely NOT on my bucket list...

I used to, but I got tired of driving my car to ride my bike - especially when time is finite. If I have a couple hours to ride, I don't want to waste half of it getting to the trail and back.

When I did ride, I liked the narrow, twisty, rooty stuff. Was never a fan of crazy fast or launching off stuff, but give me tight technical stuff where you really had to focus and I was a happy unit.

Funny how, now if I walk the same trails I used to ride, I remember all the nuances....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I used to, but I got tired of driving my car to ride my bike - especially when time is finite. If I have a couple hours to ride, I don't want to waste half of it getting to the trail and back.

When I did ride, I liked the narrow, twisty, rooty stuff. Was never a fan of crazy fast or launching off stuff, but give me tight technical stuff where you really had to focus and I was a happy unit.

Funny how, now if I walk the same trails I used to ride, I remember all the nuances....

I consider myself fortunate to be surrounded by coastal foothills with numerous trail systems. I can ride to many of the trails but usually it’s a 15-20 minute drive to the trail heads.  The only issue is our foothills are steep and twisty so lots of up & down.  But not so much off camber, rocky or technical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ChrisL said:

I consider myself fortunate to be surrounded by coastal foothills with numerous trail systems. I can ride to many of the trails but usually it’s a 15-20 minute drive to the trail heads.  The only issue is our foothills are steep and twisty so lots of up & down.  But not so much off camber, rocky or technical.

I have miles and miles of pretty much empty country roads right outside my door.

The nearest trail of any consequence is about forty minutes away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

My rides are typically "make shit up as you go along". 

One of the reasons I like my gravel bike is because it lets me be even more random. (Although I wish we had more gravel roads).

I am riding my cross bike 80% of the time right now for the same reasons.   I can get 20-30 mile rides in with a mix of road, MUP & dirt.   Lots of options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I am riding my cross bike 80% of the time right now for the same reasons.   I can get 20-30 mile rides in with a mix of road, MUP & dirt.   Lots of options.

I come home from a ride and SO says "So where did you ride?"

"uhhh....I dunno...."

"you don't know where you rode?"

Then I show her the GPS track and she says "...oh..." 

:D

The Slate lets me even tackle some snowmobile trail stuff that's fairly rugged. I've ridden it in some fairly stupid places and it just goes "yeah, I got this..."

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...