Stinking blood thinners

Longjohn

Yeah keep an eye on that cut...

I helped an older guy on a ride once who got sliced by his chainring on his leg and it wouldn’t stop bleeding.   Had him take a sit and I removed my undershirt for a field dressing (with his permission). He said he was on blood thinners which made sense as that cut wouldn’t stop bleeding.  He refused 911 and called his daughter to pick him up.  It never stopped the 30-45 minutes I was with him.

The putz that caused him to crash just bitched at him while he’s on the ground and rode off...😡

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I take a blood thinner when I travel, I took a shot this Sunday before my 300 mile drive home. 
I have a daily injection I take, and boy did that thing create a world class bruise this time. The bruise is still about 3-4 inches long and 2 inches deep. 

Sounds like Lovenox, have to keep the needle real straight when giving yourself a shot of that stuff. I had both heparin and Lovenox while in hospital. Now I’m on Brilinta and aspirin. I didn’t take tonight’s dose, I have a doctor appointment in the morning. I think I have the bleeding stopped finally.

• Heart 2

I just read about my doctor visit yesterday. It sounds like I had something going on.

Reason for Visit

Cardiology Follow up
Problem List: 1. CAD. a. CST 10/2/2019: 12:00 Bruce - ABN moderate FIXED mid to distal inferior defect with normal wall motion, EF 46% b. LHC 7/24/2020 i. Left main - no significant angiographic disease. ii. LAD - proximal/early mid 30% narrowing - first diagonal 75-80% narrowing. iii. Left circumflex 75% proximal narrowing - mid marginal branch 80% ostial and 90% after that. iv. RCA - luminal irregularities. v. Ramus - 20% c. PTCA/stent 7/24/2020 of proximal circumflex. 2. Hyperlipidemia a. Declines statin therapy 3. Renal impairment a. Patient refuses nephrology consult 4. CLL 5. Hernia repair/removal (2018) a. Patient went into cardiac arrest. 6. Mild VHD. a. Echo 7/24/2020 with EF 56%, trace MR.

47 minutes ago, smudge said:

I transcribe echoes all the time but in a little different format. I don't like your ejection fraction, but it does look like it has improved. FWIW.

And it looks like you could use some stations. Lots of blockage.

What is an ejection fraction? I have always wanted one on my passenger seat like James Bond had.

• Heart 1

On 8/6/2020 at 7:35 PM, Longjohn said:

It’s either him or Doctor Mickin.  I hate to think what would happen with an actual cut.

I have little expertise with cuts affected by blood thinners - my formal coursework and major experiences were in care and prevention of athletic injuries and those teenagers I bandaged, taped, etc. were in great physical shape and not on blood thinners.

I agree with Airehead: those in an urgent care center should be trained in stopping the bleeding, applying a triple antibiotic or other med and proper bandaging.  If, after the injury occurred, it didn't begin slowing after a few minutes and continue to slow down, I'd wrap it in whatever's handy and head for professional help.

Either that of have a dog lick it. :lol:

Good luck.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1