if you had a million dollars...

Dirtyhip

If a new bike(s) was part of your million dollar spending what would it be?

Im thinking mine would be Ti or maybe steel. Maybe custom but not necessarily as there are many fine off the shelf bikes.   Gravel/road geo, probably GRX mechanical disk. Bling carbon wheels. 

My Anthem is dialed and way more bike than I need so I’d keep it but I’d invest in some nicer wheels.

Id also like to take my Gazelle down from the rafters and have it restored to its original glory. Have it as an Eroica bike. 

You?

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

If a new bike(s) was part of your million dollar spending what would it be?

Im thinking mine would be Ti or maybe steel. Maybe custom but not necessarily as there are many fine off the shelf bikes.   Gravel/road geo, probably GRX mechanical disk. Bling carbon wheels. 

My Anthem is dialed and way more bike than I need so I’d keep it but I’d invest in some nicer wheels.

Id also like to take my Gazelle down from the rafters and have it restored to its original glory. Have it as an Eroica bike. 

You?

This Panasonic bike.

7EEA84D9-B758-4C84-8F71-C453CC91E67C.jpeg

• Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Oh wait hold on... I have been looking at a couple of E Bikes as a commuter utility bike.  Maybe add one of those to my list!

I may buy one for commuting, because the new location has some wicked hills and it is a bit further away from work. The hill I have to climb is no joke, going home. 

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I won’t have to have kraft dinner for dinner every night!

But I WOULD eat Kraft Dinner, I'd just eat MORE!

We have that song in our setlist.  I pretty regularly throw curveballs at the guy who does the verse responses.  He's pretty quick at hitting them.  Then getting back at me during the witty banter sections.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

is this a trick question?

answer.../thread

Do a Scrooge McDuck and lay it out on the bed &  roll around in it

on another note what is the largest amount of cash money you have held in your hands? I think I have had around $20k. The rest of it is just 1 & 0's

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

answer.../thread

on another note what is the largest amount of cash money you have held in your hands? I think I have had around $20k. The rest of it is just 1 & 0's

Like green cash?  

$5500.  ANything bigger is always a cashiers check, personal check, etc.  If I can charge it, I tend to do that.  I like to pay for bikes in cash.  The LBS owner should not get dinged for the Visa fee. Those people don't make any money.

Rolling in cash is not that fun.  You can roll in it, but you have to pick it all back up, stack it, count it, put it back in a safe or your big cookie jar.  :D

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

Counting the tills at the bar during the Atlanta Olympics. 
We were running both outdoor beer gardens and indoor liquor drinks from 10:00 am to 2:00 am for two weeks solid. I paid off my house in those two weeks. There were a couple of nights when we stuffed $20k+ into the deposit bags. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

answer.../thread

Oh man we worked lots of snack bars and other fundraisers that were mostly cash so several grand easy but...

We did a fundraiser where we did parking for a huge golf event. A couple of trusted parents took the cash from the gates and I took the cash from them and stayed back in a safer area. I Couldn’t get anyone  from the organization to come out and take some of the cash off me so towards the end of the event I probably had $5K in cash on me!  My apron got so full I had to stuff $20’s into my own pockets.  

When I turned in my apron the ladies taking the cash were all, OK thank you sir then I told them hold on and started fishing wads of $20’s out of my pockets!  It was really poorly run though and we never helped them again.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Oh man we worked lots of snack bars and other fundraisers that were mostly cash so several grand easy but...

We did a fundraiser where we did parking for a huge golf event. A couple of trusted parents took the cash from the gates and I took the cash from them and stayed back in a safer area. I Couldn’t get anyone  from the organization to come out and take some of the cash off me so towards the end of the event I probably had $5K in cash on me!  My apron got so full I had to stuff $20’s into my own pockets.  

When I turned in my apron the ladies taking the cash were all, OK thank you sir then I told them hold on and started fishing wads of $20’s out of my pockets!  It was really poorly run though and we never helped them again.

Yeah the volunteer stuff had me on edge. WoScrapr did a carnival for the elementary school. Just after a treasurer for the PSO embezelled some money. IIRC it was the 2nd time in the 6 years we were there. Maybe only once. But it was fresh. I was having her have 2 people counting & deposit. Also I ran a big fundraiser for Boy Scouts. $10k over 2 Saturdays & 2 Troops. I made triple sure a trusted person for each Troop was counting. And off in a room by themselves. Lots of hangers on wanting to know "how much. And even then our drivers would sometimes find an envelope in the truck a day or 2 later

9 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Yeah the volunteer stuff had me on edge. WoScrapr did a carnival for the elementary school. Just after a treasurer for the PSO embezelled some money. IIRC it was the 2nd time in the 6 years we were there. Maybe only once. But it was fresh. I was having her have 2 people counting & deposit. Also I ran a big fundraiser for Boy Scouts. $10k over 2 Saturdays & 2 Troops. I made triple sure a trusted person for each Troop was counting. And off in a room by themselves. Lots of hangers on wanting to know "how much. And even then our drivers would sometimes find an envelope in the truck a day or 2 later

We had a similar issue once. We were softball & volley ball boosters for our daughter and had worked dozens of snack bars for them. 2 person count always, usually the treasurer with a non board member & a witness. 

So my son is now in HS and plays football. We are not boosters but offer to help run snack bars as we have experience.  So we are sent over to run a small snack bar for Band as they need help.  We pull in a couple of hundred and at the end the Band Booster Prez says OK I’ll take the box. Uh no count? No, I always do the count?  How do we know what’s in the till? You don’t have to worry about it, we handle all that...

My wife told the football booster Pres yeah no, we aren’t helping Band anymore as they are seriously screwed up and we aren’t getting wrapped up in any embezzlement investigations.   Not even a full month later the Band Booster Pres was arrested for embezzling close to a fifty  thousand from the band boosters over several years. As much of the transactions were cash they figured that was a low estimate.

14 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I would need that battery pack to get this monster up the hill. Looks like they lightly deflated the tires.

From my experience working at a bike shop, it probably is just flat from non-use, as the air has seeped out.  One of my jobs was running around filling up all the tires on the shop floor.  We had so many bikes on the floor that it was difficult to keep them full. Filling the tires was a job that I did when it was slow.

My parents faced this conundrum in real life. They inherited a big enough chunk to get them over that hump. My Dad only had one surviving sibling, so it wasn’t watered down. Whatever I inherit will be split in 5, so it won’t be that much. 

They:

Spent 10-12 weeks every winter in a luxury Condo on Florida’s West Coast. 
Travelled a lot. 
Bought 2 Lincolns

Put a $100,000 addition on the house to make it Senior Friendly. 
Gave us kids $11,000 (total of $55,000)

Bought a Grand Piano

Organized and built a school in Madagascar. Took 2 trips there. 
Other mission trips to Northern Ireland and conferences in the US. 
Generous donations. 
 Hoping to leave a million when it’s all over. That may or may not happen. 
My dad also spent 15 years aggressively funding the retirement plans. 

• Heart 1

I'd build a big tall house with rooms by the dozen,
Right in the middle of the town.
A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below.
There would be one long staircase just going up,
And one even longer coming down,
And one more leading nowhere, just for show.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 2Far said:

Not much, maybe $3-4k. Im sure my kids in food service have handled more.  

If we can count workplaces... More like 7000.  We had some people pay cash on a big day at the bike shop.  I always wanted to count the money.  It was fun to do that.  The till rarely had issues.  We always were off in change, cause we didn't deal much with small change.  We opted to just count dollars, so we were always over a few bucks from having some small change to give back.