My mother’s jewelry

Airehead

I am going through my mother’s stuff. So many custom made pieces that no one else will ever wear. Things like beautiful standard poodles that were made for her to commemorate a special win or perhaps stuff that caught her fancy. Most gold some silver. Many pieces are numbered and usually 1/50. My parents were well known in dogs and knew lots of dog show jewelry artists. Those craftsmen knew my mom loved whatever caught her eye on any given day. 
And this starts the problem. My dad and I know she has some very high quality stuff. We also know if she liked it she bought it so she also has many trinkets. This “on wheels”  is definitely trinket.  Others stuff much harder to tell.  This will take awhile. 
I have to figure a good way to share some of the decent quality stuff with people who will appreciate it.  Then Maybe the Canine Health Foundation for their auction.

This I will keep although I will never wear it.  My dad gave it to her after a very special best in show win.  Not sure where the chain is now but it is here.  A 🥕 of diamonds and some other stuff but more sentimental which is stupid because I won’t wear it. 

I feel like I should do something besides leave it in the safe until I die. 

image.jpeg

78C42FFB-604C-4B1E-9182-66E79DEEEA95.jpeg

• Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

Her ribbon pendant is almost like this. Hers maybe a little bigger but I am too lazy to go take an actual photo. The thing is at a dog show this will mean something. People know the ribbon. You cannot really wear one if you didn’t earn it, kind of like wearing the shirt without finishing the marathon. 

My Mom had a lot of jewelry and some of it was nice, but nothing very expensive.  Luckily it helped that we could go through it with my sisters and i didn't have to decide on my own.  We each took a few pieces that either meant something to us or we liked (there was a lot of duplication since my Dad would often give the same piece to all of us for Christmas).  We gave some of it to a few of her friends and grandkids.

If your Mom had a number of unique pieces with an interesting history that you want to remember but you don't really want all of the pieces, you could take pictures of each of the pieces and put them in a shutterfly photo book or just keep them online.  We did that with a number of things that had nice memories but we didn't want to keep for some reason. 

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Dickbag with Lard said:

Wait, they steam them in boxes?  This cockroach of the sea stuff is all very confusing!

Can I use the seasoning on other stuff, or is it mostly just seafoody?

Wrong thread

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My Mom had a lot of jewelry and some of it was nice, but nothing very expensive.  Luckily it helped that we could go through it with my sisters and i didn't have to decide on my own.  We each took a few pieces that either meant something to us or we liked (there was a lot of duplication since my Dad would often give the same piece to all of us for Christmas).  We gave some of it to a few of her friends and grandkids.

If your Mom had a number of unique pieces with an interesting history that you want to remember but you don't really want all of the pieces, you could take pictures of each of the pieces and put them in a shutterfly photo book or just keep them online.  We did that with a number of things that had nice memories but we didn't want to keep for some reason. 

This is a great idea. Maybe the ribbon with a picture of Eaton Manyara -the. BIS and BISS winning bitch. 
then maybe a picture of her wearing a piece then a close up of it. Could get books made for the grandkids. 

• Awesome 1

My parents had portraits of themselves drawn when they were younger.  They always had the pictures the apartment, but frankly they looked sort of grim in them and none of us really wanted to hang them in our homes.  So now we all have a large refrigerator magnet with the pictures on it, and we can hang what we like on our walls.

Combining the pictures of the jewelry with pictures of related events or her wearing them is a really nice touch. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

My maternal grandfather was village jeweller or sold jewellery in China. So my mother had an opinion on quality of jade and desired colours/hues...which is the brighter green jade, not dark green jade.  She wears a jade ring in custom setting, almond shape stone.  It looks better than the wedding ring..which is not surprising if you know culturally that wedding rings in some cultures worn on left, etc. is more of a Western cultural tradition.

I haven't asked for any jewellery from her.  I confess since covid I barely have worn my own favourite silver swan earrings, or yet those silver crane earrings which is another design, etc. since I'm at home.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

My dad had a bunch of watches - 3 Seikos among others - I still have them. Never wear them, but can't be arsed to find out if they're worth anything.

Guess my son will wind (heh) up with a bunch of watches he'll never wear, either.

That is the root cause of my thinking-- Do I want to leave this burden plus the burden of my own crap to my children.  Probably.

@Karen or whatever Couch's name is now can likely help you with those watches.

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Do I want to leave this burden plus the burden of my own crap to my children.

I'm pretty ruthless about weeding stuff out, so hopefully, he'll have a pretty easy time of it. Garage Sale-ing is his hobby and he buys and sells stuff on FleaBay all the time, so he should be able to dispose of it fairly easily.

Which is good, because when it comes to his mother's stuff. he's gonna have a job and a half. :whistle:

• Heart 2