Connecticut: They digging out, chopping up, removing debris or eschewing it?

Dottleshead

13 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm concerned about the food in the freezer.

It depends....  If he's lucky he could be restored sooner than later.   

It looks like many people will be out of power for more than a few days.   They better find a freezer somewhere that has power. 

https://patch.com/connecticut/across-ct/ct-power-outages-town-town-592-000-without-power

My power just came on a while ago.  I am fortunate because I live near the limits of my town and my street seems to be fed from another town.  CT is still in trouble.  This was just a fortunate local fix.

The freezer and all other cold food is toast.  It will all be thrown out tomorrow.

CT is still in deep doo doo with the power company advising that many will not get power back over the weekend

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

28 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

It depends....  If he's lucky he could be restored sooner than later.   

It looks like many people will be out of power for more than a few days.   They better find a freezer somewhere that has power. 

https://patch.com/connecticut/across-ct/ct-power-outages-town-town-592-000-without-power

Yeah, this looks horrible.

Reports are extensive damage, not just in CT but other states.  For a not so very large storm, the wind patterns on the right side created many direction changes.  At the height of the storm I watched very large trees gyrating 20 deg or more each side of centerline as the tops whipped back and forth.  More power outage and tree damage then ever in history, even more than hurricane sandy famous for destroying us.  Not so much structure damage though fortunately.

Still, 2 full days without power and with a lot of heat made this a really uncomfortable time.  I don't think I want to retire to Somalia.

Well, I'm glad it has worked out for you, Max.  Count your blessings as they say.  Big storms are always so dramatic.  But if all your state really got hit with is mostly downed power lines and fallen trees, again another win (noticed I did not say 'wind').  I hope it all gets back to normal soon.

7 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well, I'm glad it has worked out for you, Max.  Count your blessings as they say.  Big storms are always so dramatic.  But if all your state really got hit with is mostly downed power lines and fallen trees, again another win (noticed I did not say 'wind').  I hope it all gets back to normal soon.

You only have to remember that non city living turns into a 3rd world in a hurry.  No power means no running water, no refrigeration, no heat in many cases, no air conditioning in all cases, no grocery stores open, no place to eat out, spoiled food, no shower, no gasoline from stations for your car because they are out of power too for the pumps.  Trees down limit fire and medical emergency service to detours and the long way around.  This ignores no television or internet toys to play with.  Limited cell phone usage as towers go down.  For those who will be out through the weekend I feel truly sorry.  I hope they don't find too many bodies when everything gets back to normal.

One of the guys at the fire station lost his brand new 2 week old pickumup truck to a tree that squashed the cab in the parking lot at the fire house while he was out on a call.

The only thing good is that it was now instead of the dead of winter.  We have survived 8 days of that too,

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

You only have to remember that non city living turns into a 3rd world in a hurry.  No power means no running water, no refrigeration, no heat in many cases, no air conditioning in all cases, no grocery stores open, no place to eat out, spoiled food, no shower, no gasoline from stations for your car because they are out of power too for the pumps.  Trees down limit fire and medical emergency service to detours and the long way around.  This ignores no television or internet toys to play with.  Limited cell phone usage as towers go down.  For those who will be out through the weekend I feel truly sorry.  I hope they don't find too many bodies when everything gets back to normal.

Two words:  Pellet Stove  :)

I have a propane stove and a grill and I've survived worse than this.  I don't think I've ever done it in the upper 90's though.

Well, that's not true either.  I've done it in a third (fourth) world country with no amenities at all.  I was much younger then though.  But then again people were trying to kill me and one almost completed the job.  Fun times.

• Heart 1

Just now, Dottles said:

Where?

sorry, not a story you will ever be told.  I suspect page knew or guessed.  Tom Stormcrow knew.  If I had ever been there, which of course I wasn't, it would have been without id or paperwork and I was never there.

After all, I was submarine service.  An acoustic instrumentation geek.  What could ever go wrong.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

sorry, not a story you will ever be told.  I suspect page knew or guessed.  Tom Stormcrow knew.  If I had ever been there, which of course I wasn't, it would have been without id or paperwork and I was never there.

After all, I was submarine service.  An acoustic instrumentation geek.  What could ever go wrong.

Well thank you for your service.