Having to dial a 1 when making a phone call is superfluous these days

Mr. Silly

6 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:
  1. It is wasteful
  2. It adds wear and tear on the phone 
  3. It increases the amount of time it takes to dial

Conclusion: There is no need to have to dial a 1 when making a phone call.  The 1 should just be assumed.

It adds time on the rotary phone dial, too.  Just a bit, but still.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:
  1. It is wasteful

Conclusion: There is no need to have to dial a 1 when making a phone call.  The 1 should just be assumed.

Tell me aboot it. At work our phones are now VOIP, and we have to dial 1+area+number, & 9 to get out. We have caller ID too. If someone calls me from the area, it displays only the number. There is an option to call back...one button. But I can't because he 1+area code isn't there :angry: When we had land lines, there was no area code needed for local.

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Tell me aboot it. At work our phones are now VOIP, and we have to dial 1+area+number, & 9 to get out. We have caller ID too. If someone calls me from the area, it displays only the number. There is an option to call back...one button. But I can't because he 1+area code isn't there :angry: When we had land lines, there was no area code needed for local.

Hahahaha.  The dial "9" idiocy has likely resulted in more accidental 9-1-1 calls than any other easily avoidable thing in history.

How hard is it to choose an "8" or "4" or whatever???

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:
  1. It is wasteful

The cordless phones (AT&T) I had in my house, bought a few years ago, until the fire in March needed that "1" put in my on-phone contact list for non-local calls or often the a busy signal would occur - but the recipient wasn't on the phone!  I thought it was bad luck I kept getting a busy signal for a couple weeks in a row after getting the new phones while trying call someone, then decided to put the "1" in front of the number. The call went through from then on.