Our new home’s smoke/co detectors…

Bikeguy

are LOUD.   WoBG and I were watching a movie last night and all of a sudden…  BEEP, BEEP,   FIRE  (it talks too), BEEP,  BEEP, CO DETECTED, BEEP, BEEP….

OMG it was LOUD all 8 detectors alarm at once, which I guess is a good thing.

I run laps thru the home, 2 stores and down in the basement.  Nothing found…   which is indeed a good thing.   And I checked at least 3 more times before we went to sleep.

I couldn’t sleep… so I found the instructions for the detector and apparently there are a few reasons there could be a false alarm.   If I recall… voltage disturbance, humidity, insects, plus things like blowing smoke into the detector, or burring food.  I found the one detector that triggered the alarm, it flashes red every 15 seconds for a up to 12 hours.  (reading instructions helps)    But…. still no reason for the alarm.   The last possibility is a detector maybe defective.

Just in case… I decided to replace all of the batteries.  They are the backup batteries, for a hard-wired system.   I opened the battery compartment and it had a 9-volt battery. I knew I didn’t have eight 9-volt batteries so then I went to sleep, at 1:30 AM.

Today I go out and buy eight 9-volt batteries.   The third detector I opened uses 2 AA batteries, so did 3 more of the 8 detectors.  They all look the same. :wacko: Of course, I didn’t have enough AA batteries.  One more trip… 

I vacuumed out the detectors too, per the instructions.   And last but not least… I got to test each detector, to trigger the system.  Yeah 8 times….   After the first time, I used hearing protection.  It was VERY LOUD when you are close enough to push the test button.  The 2 dogs hated the noise… too.

So far no other alarms…

• Heart 3

That's a good thing

I installed wireless linked detectors in our house. The garage is in the basement and the garage ceiling, main house floor, is a concrete slab, if there is a fire down there I want to know it before I see flames.

A pellet stove mishap set them off during the winter, they are loud and they talk.

The cat damn near exploded.

54 minutes ago, Further said:

That's a good thing

I installed wireless linked detectors in our house. The garage is in the basement and the garage ceiling, main house floor, is a concrete slab, if there is a fire down there I want to know it before I see flames.

A pellet stove mishap set them off during the winter, they are loud and they talk.

Oh yes.  It is always a catastrophe here when they go off.  An excessively warm humid shower can set off the unit in the hall near the bedrooms sometimes.  Any oven heat in the 425/450 range will set off the one near the kitchen when the oven door is opened.  Of course they all go off at the same time.  If you are slow in getting out of the way you will bleed.

3 hours ago, Further said:

Our Jack Russell just started to run to find a place where it was quite.  Of course that's impossible when they are going off.  

Our old home had 3 smoke detectors and one CO detector, they were not connected together.  Once... I just left for work in the winter, WoBG calls me and tells me a smoke detector is going off and it won't stop.  I turn around and was back home in about 5 minutes.  The old furnace had a 'sooting' problem and there was smoke blowing out of the front of the furnace, where there should never be any combustion or combustion by products.  I turned off the power and the gas to the furnace, problem solved.  It took about a week to the the furnace (and A/C) replaced.

One smoke detector was loud.  Eight of them alarming at the same time... that was LOUD.