Guess where I am

BR46

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

They have NASCAR races at Road America?  I didn’t know they had an oval. 

Not on an oval.  Aaaaaannnnd it may rain there so there are sets of rain tires in the pits and some half assed windshield wipers on the cars too.  This could be interesting.   NBCsports network.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Not on an oval.  Aaaaaannnnd it may rain there so there are sets of rain tires in the pits and some half assed windshield wipers on the cars too.  This could be interesting.   NBCsports network.

Wait, you are telling me that NASCAR races on a road course?  Why was I not informed?

I was board today, so I’ll check this oot, and hope the rains hold off! 

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Wait, you are telling me that NASCAR races on a road course?  Why was I not informed?

I was board today, so I’ll check this oot, and hope the rains hold off! 

They have always scheduled a couple of road races per year.  The cup cars ran Sonoma CA and Watkins Glen and the last couple of years on the "roval" at Charlotte.  This year they will race on the road course at Daytona where the rolex 24 is held.  The Xfinity cars have run here at Road America before.  Back in the day some teams used to hire ringers to drive but today the drivers are well schooled in the fine arts.

Well, almost well schooled.  It's still a hoot to watch the herd thunder out of a restart and gather together at the first upcoming corner.  Unlike sporty types, these cars can rub against each other.............because rubbin is racin.

Later today at 4 the big boys will race the first of the 400 mile double header at Michigan International with another 400 tomorrow.  F1 is doing the 70th anniversary race at Silverstone tomorrow morning (here).  NHRA will be racing in Indianapolis tomorrow.  It's a good weekend for motorsports fans.

• Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Did you know that there is a company that makes a 1/32 scale replica of that building for use on slot car tracks.

Greenhills Scalextric Slot Car Buildings Spirit Of America Kit ...

More than one auto racing racing venue uses similar structure. The most important aspect is the concession area at ground level.

• Haha 1

Just now, donkpow said:

More than one auto racing racing venue uses similar structure. The most important aspect is the concession area under the official's area.

They are supposed to be building a brand new winners circle at Road America.  I saw the proposed drawings back in 2018 but for some reason I haven't seen any construction.

Race track food can be as bad as airplane food or it can be very good.  Having good concession stands is important........bring your bank account though.

• Heart 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

They are supposed to be building a brand new winners circle at Road America.  I saw the proposed drawings back in 2018 but for some reason I haven't seen any construction.

Race track food can be as bad as airplane food or it can be very good.  Having good concession stands is important........bring your bank account though.

Those little packets of onions are the nastiest things on earth. Except for Chinese street food, of course.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, smudge said:

Playoffs!!??   PLAYOFFS???!!!

Yes.  The first 26 races of the season are used to identify 16 playoff contenders.  Then the playoff races happen (everybody still races but those 16 have points in relation to each other).  Every 3 races they drop the lowest 4 playoff cars out of the points (but they still get to race).  After 9 races there are only 4 cars left eligible for the championship.  In the last race of the season, the highest finish of those 4 becomes the champion.  It's interesting because all the teams still race every race and the "playoff qualified" drivers still have to compete with everyone, not just the other contenders.

Under the full season points championship, the title might be decided with many races left on the schedule.  NASCAR had to spice things up a bit to compete with the stick and ball and puck sports.

• Awesome 1

47 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They are supposed to be building a brand new winners circle at Road America.

This is the new winner circle 

20200808_084526.thumb.jpg.f7ccafbaafab8793cbb4c923635f59c9.jpg

50 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Race track food can be as bad as airplane food or it can be very good.  Having good concession stands is important........bring your bank account though

I have been to a lot of race tracks and Road America has the best and most choices of food around. 

I had a brisket burnt end sandwich and potatoe salad and Wo46 had chicken strips and it was $16

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

Just now, BR46 said:

This is the new winner circle 

20200808_084526.thumb.jpg.f7ccafbaafab8793cbb4c923635f59c9.jpg

I have been to a lot of race tracks and Road America has the best and most choices of food around. 

I had a brisket burnt end sandwich and potatoe salad and Wo46 had chicken strips and it was $16

You are right.  The plans I saw were for the new entrance with the multiple towers and the elevated section above.

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yep. I mistook that for the plans for the new winners circle.

I see that you are about to get back to racing.  This is going to be a hoot.

There's more lighting in area 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Wow, looks like they had a full day of racing there!

Racing didn't end until around 6:30.

I went out there for the TA2 race and the Stadium Trucks. I have a friend who races TA1 and TA2 but he wasn't racing this weekend. 

20200809_103703.jpg.3a2304476e34d0b15320ea35b0c8c161.jpg

• Awesome 1