I am feeling shiftless today

Ralphie

22 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I tried watching the NASCAR road race but it had a lightning delay. 

You might try what I did.  Get a part time job doing something you like.  For me it was the hobby shop.  That way you sort of get down to full retirement slowly so it isn't as much of a shock to the system.  Between biking, my hobbies and stepping up to more work around the house because womaxx is still working I've managed to stay more than busy enough.

• Awesome 1

On 8/8/2020 at 1:42 PM, Philander Seabury said:

Maybe I won’t be able to handle retaarment. :(

But then again nothing followed by work is different than endless nothing. :)

Find new interests to keep busy.  I've been doing things I wanted to do since childhood but was too poor to do or didn't have time to do while working, from traveling to creative writing to tournament team chess to the big thing: learning to play classical piano from scratch and studying it, music theory, composition, and history in the adult program at the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins Univ.

The Jaycees have a saying that 15% of the world goes to sleep starving each night for lack of nutrition and 85% goes to bed starving for lack of recognition. That's one reason things like piano and chess are important to me: I still feel the need to be recognized. I spend a lot of "wasted" time, but I stay active enough to get thrills and feelings of accomplishment like this:

Auditioning, Qualifying, and Playing Chopin at the ACE Recital of Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins U. Can you imagine how nervous I was playing for hundreds of people after listening backstage to incredibly accomplished pianists - which I'm not - go before me?  I've now played in 10 ACE Recitals and get just as nervous each time.  But what a thrill to do ok!

1900244097_MickeyMay2006-02impr.jpg.2025ef8b6782d7a271454aab27ad0cb4.jpg

Having my performance critiqued by International Opera Grand Diva Hyunah Yu (standing middle) and my late teacher, virtuosa Frances Cheng-Koors (seated on right):

Mickey-Frances.jpg.b89192c53e067820f1de25d4b72e55d7.jpg

Meeting Piano virtuoso Lang Lang - he had sent fellow virtuoso Frances Cheng-Koors backstage passes to his concert in D.C. and she gave them to me:

363871536_MickLangLang1-cropped.thumb.jpg.21c8549aa562a9ea2bc17243fbd86d0b.jpg 1637858826_MickLangLang2-cropped.thumb.jpg.46e101600c3e6c388de6090e83bee75c.jpg 

Chess is fun too:

940500093_FinalTrophies-IgotBronze.jpg.b72f993b5919aec2bf68cf09479919ab.jpg

I was leading this tournament in the early rounds, which including US Chess Federation Chessmasters, early on:

2074571181_TeamRecognition2017_12_17.JPG.ef24a876bc4b48f94bdadd4247c9295f.JPG

• Awesome 2

On 8/8/2020 at 1:42 PM, Philander Seabury said:

Maybe I won’t be able to handle retaarment. :(

Well you can go work for me, and I’ll retire.

I was on Covid vacation for 2 1/2 months and never ran out of things to do. I got a ton of stuff done that I’ve been meaning to get to, including building a box for the back rack of my ATV to carry my chainsaw, gas can and bar oil, so I don’t have to lug that stuff all the way to the back of the camp property, when I go do trail work.

Since I’ve been back to work, I haven’t even had time to go to the hardware store and get the four carriage bolts I need to bolt it on.

All the stuff I was this close to finishing up in now in stasis.