I might start selling my soap

Dirtyhip

I order a number of hand made soaps from etsy and I do tend to notice the various packaging.  Usually it's just a paper wrapped around the soap, but a nice logo does help grab attention.  Some come with a sticker or insert in a small gauze bag, but that wouldn't stack well in  store.  I don't really care about the packaging for myself, but I do like it to look "nice" if I give it as a gift.

That's exciting that she wants to carry it!  I consider hand made soaps a nice little daily luxury, plus I have sensitive skin and appreciate that they tend to have fewer ingredients and be less irritating.  During stressful times, affordable luxuries can be very soothing and fun.  

What kind of soaps do you make?  Cold process? 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I order a number of hand made soaps from etsy and I do tend to notice the various packaging.  Usually it's just a paper wrapped around the soap, but a nice logo does help grab attention.  Some come with a sticker or insert in a small gauze bag, but that wouldn't stack well in  store.  I don't really care about the packaging for myself, but I do like it to look "nice" if I give it as a gift.

That's exciting that she wants to carry it!  I consider hand made soaps a nice little daily luxury, plus I have sensitive skin and appreciate that they tend to have fewer ingredients and be less irritating.  During stressful times, affordable luxuries can be very soothing and fun.  

What kind of soaps do you make?  Cold process? 

Cold process mostly, but hot process for the soap paste to make liquid soaps. My hot process is similar to what you would see with a bottle of Dr. Bonners castile soap.

• Heart 1

So what light fragrances would you offer, DH? Would a variety have shea butter or something for additional softness?

The only thing I have about unwrapped soaps is one would wonder if the fragrance would dissapate over time. 

One option if you're just starting out, is wrapping bar(s) in parchment paper with sticker to keep paper ends together with your custom logo.  "Go soft, go easy". :)  or "Sacred Soft" or do you have personal/family soap story or garden story (for fragrance or earthy theme) for marketing purposes?  

It would be a good idea to offer 1 fragrance free, light soap. Because of high sensitivity to fragrance, dearie really needs his soap to be fragrance free. So yes, when we go to drug store, he's smelling different bars of soap.  I found a goat's milk soap that I know he likes/uses. It will be a small addition to his other Christmas gifts. 

I could never use what he chooses....Ivory soap version which is too hard on my skin.  I need Dove creaminess for my body skin for its slight skin dryness in various areas. Allenbury's fragrance free, neutral for my face. Right now, I'm using a gift body bar soap which had a slight smell...of mistletoe. Given by a friend.  There's something in the soap that has a slight astringency that seems to remove my sweat, oil from my skin well. Which is ok as long as I don't use on my face....I don't want to dry out my facial skin:  when you get older, you really don't want that.

15 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So what light fragrances would you offer, DH? Would a variety have shea butter or something for additional softness?

The only thing I have about unwrapped soaps is one would wonder if the fragrance would dissapate over time. 

One option if you're just starting out, is wrapping bar(s) in parchment paper with sticker to keep paper ends together with your custom logo.  "Go soft, go easy". :)  or "Sacred Soft" or do you have personal/family soap story or garden story (for fragrance or earthy theme) for marketing purposes?  

I am concerned about this as well.  My soaps are lightly scented, because I do not like having strong scented body products.  My body lotion is unscented.  

Common fragrances are lavender/rosemary, tea tree and eucalytus, citrus bloom (very light floral with citrus of bergamot, grapefruit, orange),  Ylang ylang, and patchouli.   I am making a bacth of coffee soap for Phoenix (Chef Neil).

My soaps are olive, coconut, palm, shae, and vitamin e. 

• Heart 4

16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am concerned about this as well.  My soaps are lightly scented, because I do not like having strong scented body products.  My body lotion is unscented.  

Common fragrances are lavender/rosemary, tea tree and eucalytus, citrus bloom (very light floral with citrus of bergamot, grapefruit, orange),  Ylang ylang, and patchouli.   I am making a bacth of coffee soap for Phoenix (Chef Neil).

My soaps are olive, coconut, palm, shae, and vitamin e. 

Hey DH, at an outdoor market, this vendor in our province was selling this brand. It claimed to have gunpowder in it...I couldn't figure that one out.  For ex-foliating properties or drama?  

There is small city in Alberta called Medicine Hat.  So Medicine River brand isn't really that weird.  I'm not so sure about bison branding..but it is from Alberta where there are still small herds of bison in our national parks.

Alberta handmade soap with bison company logo. Gunpowder probably a natural exfoliating powder.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Hey DH, at an outdoor market, this vendor in our province was selling this brand. It claimed to have gunpowder in it...I couldn't figure that one out.  For ex-foliating properties or drama?  

There is small city in Alberta called Medicine Hat.  So Medicine River brand isn't really that weird.  I'm not so sure about bison branding..but it is from Alberta where there are still small herds of bison in our national parks.

Alberta handmade soap with bison company logo. Gunpowder probably a natural exfoliating powder.

I doubt there is gunpowder in it.  It is supposed to smell like gunpowder most likely.  

People that are around guns a lot may think this smell is nice.  Gun things like the cleaner and the powder smell very distinctive.  

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Here is what we are currently buying from WF.

soap1.jpgsoap2.jpgsoap4.jpg

Sea Salt Kelp and Jasmine Gardenia seems so nice to try.  I realize they are very different....but that's the whole point of buying different scented soaps.

I honestly don't understand the Charcoal version at all.  I think the charcoal trend is over-used..

5 minutes ago, smudge said:

I was at the health food store today. They have these soap bars. $5 each. Sole wrapping, but the string should go both ways; you can see some fell off a bar or two. The honey oatmeal was tempting; smelled good!

soap.thumb.jpg.e23135a30e62e0b74898e792d2f98ee2.jpg

I've liked the honey-oatmeal that I've used.

• Heart 2