What’s on the grill?

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

Apropos of yesterday & the day before....I had a nice steak ready to go on the grill Friday. Except the grill would only get up to about 200 degrees. I you tubed and such. Cleaned the gas ports. If I put all 4 ports on the volume of gas would drop to almost nothing. So I got the steak grilled on 2 ports. And did some more you tubing. Everything pointed to the regulator. This kind of confused me as the grill is only 4 years old. Sat am I got a new regulator & swapped them out. Then pumped up the grill to 500 degrees & called myself satisfied. I have not cooked anything on it yet

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

Interesting plan. How long?

Til they’re done. 😝

Ten-twelve minutes. 

What’s an oven? A metal box with a heater. What’s a gas grill? A metal box with a heater. It’s not a perfect solution - takes a little fiddling around to get the temp right and because the heat is on either side, something like a pie should be rotated periodically....but beats hell out of heating the house up.

It’s not an unprecedented idea.

Might also be the reason my quick breads come out a little drier than I’d like. (As does the aforementioned apple cake).

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Grilled peaches are awesome.  A little mascarpone and honey with vanilla, and a drizzle of balsamic reduction is an excellent dessert

I usually just eat them plain, but this recipe makes my mouth water just looking at it.

1371597727301.jpeg

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-peaches-with-cinnamon-sugar-butter-recipe-1947882

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Is that perforated?

Always threatened to dry age a prime rib, but not good enough at planning to think that far ahead. 😝

No.  It's one of these.  This is my first try at it.

https://umaidry.com/collections/steak/products/umai-dry-aged-steak-artisan-meat-pack-ribeye-striploin

4 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

breathable membrane”

That makes sense. Otherwise you’re wet aging it!

I keep reading this and threatening to try it - usually in December and I think “Imma dry age me a Prime Rib for New Years...”

But it hasn’t happened yet.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

what difference does the bag make? Takes up the same space in the fridge, no? :scratchhead:

From the article you were referring to:

• Fridge space. The best thing you can use is a dedicated mini fridge, one that you can keep closed so that the meat smells don't permeate the rest of your food, and vice versa. It can get a little... powerful. The mini fridge I kept by my desk would fill the office with the aroma of aging meat if I peeked inside it for even a moment or two. Similarly, aged meat can pick up aromas from your refrigerator. Unless your refrigerator is odor-free, a mini fridge is the best possible option.
  • A fan. To promote drying of the surface and even aging, you want to stick a fan inside your fridge to keep air circulating. This works in much the same way as a convection oven, promoting more even cooling and humidity all around. I used a standard desk fan. In order to get it in there, I cut a small notch in the seal for the fridge door—just large enough for the cord to fit through.

I didn't see anything saying I needed a dedicated fridge when using these bags.  They're partially vacuum sealed, so we'll see what happens.  I may regret it.

• Heart 2

39 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

From the article you were referring to:

• Fridge space. The best thing you can use is a dedicated mini fridge, one that you can keep closed so that the meat smells don't permeate the rest of your food, and vice versa. It can get a little... powerful.

So the bags keep the funk down? Interesting.

I have a small chest freezer that I bought, intending to use it as a kegerator, but someone talked me out of it....so I use it with an Inkbird temperature controller for carbonating beers (and water) and - should freezer space get tight, it gets pressed into service.

That’d probably be my dry aging chamber.

(I also keep threatening to use it for charcuterie....but that hasn’t happened, either...)

8 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I may grind them in the blender and jar the powder for future use. 

Mulch them to powder in a spice grinder, then take a whiff and see how it smells.

No, don’t. It’s like a volcano going off in your head. Don’t ask me how I know.

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Mulch them to powder in a spice grinder, then take a whiff and see how it smells.

No, don’t. It’s like a volcano going off in your head. Don’t ask me how I know.

I’m old enough to know not to do as you say 😂

Just now, Old No. 7 said:

I’m old enough to know not to do as you say 😂

Yeah, dumbass me did that a couple of months ago. I had some peppers I'd dried - don't even remember what kind - and I got the bright idea to make chili powder out of them so I chucked them in the spice grinder. I wanted to see how the smell compared to store-bought chili powder, so I took a sniff.

Big, big mistake.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

....because my A/C is working hard enough as it is and probably doesn't need any help from the oven?

Ok, ovens can get hot.  You should insulate your oven somehow.

Heh heh....

It does make sense, I am doing less baking now because it does heat things up here, too.

Just now, Randomguy said:

I am doing less baking now because it does heat things up here, too.

I do the same amount of baking.....just outdoors. If I ever get off my ass and get my BBQ island done, it will have a burner as well, so I can cook outdoors even more. (And enough horsepower to keep a wok screaming hot).

This weekend’s grilling was boring but very tasty. 2 NY Strips, medium thickness. 4 minutes each side, followed by 2 minutes each side with the dome closed, except for a vent. Perfect medium rare and juicy. Served with sautéed onions an green peppers  and corn on the cob.