Earthquake

Allen

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

Anybody here ever been in one?

Heh. Years ago, when I lived at home, I had a dresser next to the bed that had handles that hung down. I woke one morning to the handles rattling and couldn’t figure it out, for the life of me.

Turns out we had an earthquake.

• Heart 1

Just now, Allen said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/us/north-carolina-earthquake-charlotte/index.html
5.1 in North Carolina. It was real near where I went to boarding school. 
They say it was felt in Atlanta. I did not feel it. I have never felt an earthquake. Anybody here ever been in one?

Los Angeles. February 1971. San Fernando valley quake. 6.5 Richter scale. I thought it was 7.2 but the wiki corrected me. I was 12. Woke up and the bed was shaking, a picture fell off the wall and cracked. My six year old brother woke and asked, “what’s going on?” “Earthquake, hang on!” No school but mom wouldn’t let us go out. “Downed power lines”. Umm, We have power, how can the lines be down? Still couldn’t go out, damn. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Allen said:

I did not feel it. I have never felt an earthquake. Anybody here ever been in one?

Yes.  I was in the Nisqually Quake (6.8) here in Washington.  It was pretty rad.  At first there was a lot of shaking up and down violently -- what seemed long a long time -- but was probably only 20 seconds.  But then we moved outside in the parking lot and it turned into more of a sway.  That is, it was like standing on a surf board and the sea was moving to and fro sideways.  Only we were on pavement.  And then it just slowly subsided.  The epicenter was probably 60 miles away and it was deep so I can only imagine one of that magnitude and shallow.

• Heart 3

Back in 2004 just north of Ottawa IL, there was a 4.2 earthquake.   We felt it In Streator, IL about 20 miles south.  The house shook for a while.  Noting broke, etc..   It took a little time and then we realized that was an earthquake. 

• Heart 1

SoCal resident, yeah lots of them.  I was a kid but do remember the same one @Old No. 7, moreso I remember my parents reacting to it.  Northridge 94 was a big one, 7 something IIRC (correction 6.7)  So many small ones I can’t even count and probably tens  of thousands I never felt...

Edited by ChrisL
  • Heart 2

I felt one around mag. 5 in Maryland. Several years back I was sitting at my desk near the south end of my house and I felt one hard violent shake.  My first thought was that a huge truck had run into the north side of my house.  I walked outside to discover my neighbors coming outside to.  One called to me, "Was that an earthquake?"  I said it must have been.

I checked my walls and found no damage but ever since rain water worked its way into my basement, forcing cracks between cinderblocks and spraying 5 feet across the floor.  It may have weakened the wiring where my house fire started, too.

It was later determined it was caused by gas exploration fracking in Virginia.

• Heart 1

A few but nothing major. I once worked in a building where the floor would move if there was a train passing by or 465 pound Rich was walking around. One day the floor was moving but I didn't see anything on the train tracks and Rich was off work. I yelled 'earthquake' and got out of the building. Nothing happened. It was something like a 4.0 quake. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I once worked in a building where the floor would move if there was a train passing by or 465 pound Rich was walking around. One day the floor was moving but I didn't see anything on the train tracks and Rich was off work.

That sounds like the building I work in.  There was a 6.5 about 150 miles away earlier this year, and I noticed some slight movement.

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, ChrisL said:

SoCal resident, yeah lots of them.  I was a kid but do remember the same one @Old No. 7, moreso I remember my parents reacting to it.  Northridge 94 was a big one, 7 something IIRC (correction 6.7)  So many small ones I can’t even count and probably tens  of thousands I never felt...

You're like the old pro, Chris.  Nobody in here can mess with your experience.

Probably about 1987 in the SF Bay area.  I was working on a project for a client out there.  At the home office in Michigan we had temp offices on the second floor of a label printing operation.  On the 3rd floor they stored very large rolls of paper.  Daily they would poll those things around causing our ceiling to rumble.  Well in SF the rumble was an earthquake.  My instinct said paper rolling.  The locals were all looking for a doorway to stand in.

This was a year or 2 before the big on in the Bay area.  6.9 in October of 89.  I was on the phone with the controller out there when that quake struck.  We are talking business when all of a sudden she says, "Holy shit the front lawn is rolling like water."  Then the line went dead.  Several people from that plant lost their houses.

We have had a couple small ones in Michigan that I've felt and a couple I missed.  One at work in Battle Creek about '85.  I never felt it but others at the office were saying how they just felt an earthquake.  When I got back to my office I had a big new crack in my wall next to my desk.

44 minutes ago, Dottles said:

You're like the old pro, Chris.  Nobody in here can mess with your experience.

Yeah it is what it is.... You guys get nervous when a traffic light stops you under a bridge? I do.. 

Someone mentioned their animals going nuts.  I used to have a cockatiel that could sense them and would go crazy moments before an earthquake.  None of my dogs could sense them.

Odd earthquake moments, in a movie theater and people panicking & busting out the exits. I was on the 20th floor of a highrise when one hit.  It felt like the building swayed for 10 minutes. I was on the Newport Pier when one hit and it shook so violently  I wasn’t sure it was going to hold.  The best one was when we were on a trip to San Diego before kids. We took the MIL and we’re in adjoining rooms. Well we were gettin busy when an earthquake hit. Of course we didn’t notice it but MIL did, she started banging on the door shouting Earthquake!!!!

We’re giggling in bed while she’s banging on the door, I thought that was you!?!! Gee honey you shook my world!!  😁

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah it is what it is.... You guys get nervous when a traffic light stops you under a bridge? I do.. 

Someone mentioned their animals going nuts.  I used to have a cockatiel that could sense them and would go crazy moments before an earthquake.  None of my dogs could sense them.

Odd earthquake moments, in a movie theater and people panicking & busting out the exits. I was on the 20th floor of a highrise when one hit.  It felt like the building swayed for 10 minutes. I was on the Newport Pier when one hit and it shook so violently  I wasn’t sure it was going to hold.  The best one was when we were on a trip to San Diego before kids. We took the MIL and we’re in adjoining rooms. Well we were gettin busy when an earthquake hit. Of course we didn’t notice it but MIL did, she started banging on the door shouting Earthquake!!!!

We’re giggling in bed while she’s banging on the door, I thought that was you!?!! Gee honey you shook my world!!  😁

An earthquake while making love??  Good timing indeed.