Almost 100 Pages In...

Razors Edge

...and still waiting for the story to get going.  Might have to bail :(

Someone gave it to my wife, and it was sitting ignored so I read the dust cover and thought it might be okay.  So far, it's been all set-up, no momentum. 

image.png.1d37b5e3b21989b41ee53548dbb43066.png

As they look to the stars, what are they missing back home? 

'Phenomenal. A transcendent journey into the mysteries of space and self. Howrey's expansive vision left me awestruck' RUTH OZEKI, author of A Tale for the Time Being

Helen Kane may not be the best mother in the world, but she is one of the world's best astronauts and when, at fifty-three, she's offered a chance to train for the first crewed mission to Mars, she doesn't hesitate. 

She and her fellow astronauts Sergei and Yoshihiro will be confined in a desert facility, striving to prove themselves, while outside their loved ones – Helen’s actress daughter, Sergei’s teenage son, and Yoshi's lonely businesswoman wife Madoka – pursue complex explorations of their own. All six will find themselves confronting the bonds of love and loyalty, sacrifice and desire. Station Eleven meets We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves in this brilliantly witty and inventive novel of ambition, endeavour and family. 

'An astounding, insightful, exhilarating ride' HELEN SEDGWICK, author of The Comet Seekers

'A stealthily brilliant novel. A distinct, shimmering vision of who we are ... at once simple, gorgeous and profoundly movingPETER NICHOLS, author of The Rocks

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Might have to bail

That’s bad. That’d be a pretty exclusive club, for me.

Out of the thousands of books I’ve read, I can only think of four or five that I put down without finishing. There were more than a few that I left me wanting back the time I spent reading them, but only a couple where I put the book down and said “No”.

”Under the Volcano” by Malcom Lowry I put down about ten times and picked it back up.

There have only been a couple books I put down. 

One was Tolkien Similarion.  I've picked that book up a number of times, knowing the challenge of getting through it and then having to put it down because I was not able to keep track of what was going on.

The other one that comes to mind is Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.  I set it down with about 50 pages to go.  Basically, she has a light cough around page 20 which turns into consumption.  By page 1,934,548,436 I was like Elaine Benes watching the English Patient, "Just die already!"

1 minute ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I've picked that book up a number of times, knowing the challenge of getting through it and then having to put it down because I was not able to keep track of what was going on.

That was the same for me, with Under The Volcano. It was just so disjointed. I couldn't follow what the hell was going on. The protagonist is an EPIC drunk. All through the book I kept going "...who is this guy he's talking to now?" "When did he get here, I thought he was back at that other place...?" At one point, (he's the British consul to Mexico) he's wandering around the grounds of the consulate and the neighbor is bitching at him about puking in the rosebushes.

"I don't remember him doing that......HE DOESN'T REMEMBER IT EITHER! OH MY GOD! I'M INSIDE THIS GUY'S HEAD!!"

Then I understood why everything was so fragmented