The theorem about home generators is…

Bikeguy

19 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Now I’ll see how long 4 gallons of gas will power the home.  I have 2 more gallons.  I suppose I should go and by more gas.  The local gas stations don’t have power.  :(

I get to use my chainsaw tomorrow, a dead tree and lots of branches fall down during the storm.

image.jpeg.717db27f47b94dc26a2e6ce16af3dc1f.jpeg

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

I turned off the A/C.  I figure my gas will last a lot longer if we allow it to get warm inside the home.

I found out when the A/C started the voltage dip was enough to reset the cable box. :(  Yeah the cable works, which is a good thing, that means my internet works too.

I guess I need 2 more UPS boxes.  One for the main cable box and router, and one for the electronic where we watch TV.  That way voltage dips won't kill the internet or TV.  You got to have priorities....   Another first world problem soon to be solved.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Further said:

You should throw your main breaker to test the generator,

That may or may not work, it depends on the wiring.   In many cases a whole house configuration will have transfer switch before the main breaker of the distribution panel. In that case opening the distribution main breaker will just turn off power to the home.

There should be a 'test' procedure for the generator and transfer switch. 

Our power can back on at 3:15 PM.  Off for a little more than 24 hours. 

The generator provided power for just about everything except... the large A/C needs just too many amps to start.  I gave it a try.. the generator was straining and I think the A/C started.  I turned it off,  I didn't want to damage the compressor.

The refrigerator worked just fine.  No lost food.   :)

The well worked just fine.   Flushing is a good thing.  So are showers. 

It took 5 hours to cut up 3 trees and clean up all the branches from the yard.  

I'm tired....  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1